Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Winter travel

Any advice or place I can go to read up on pulling 2004 ccd 16 ft Bambi.
Thinking about 1800 miles from Modesto Ca to Kansas City Mo this Christmas
Things like would the water freeze if the heater is running should the temp drop below freezing? ect... thanks! I know a lot would depend on the weather at the time of departure, but if it looks like a fairly
mild condition, how much cold can you safly travel in, wiout worry of water freezing ect... thanks in advance for any help..... mike/joyce
imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine
Any advice or place I can go to read up on pulling 2004 ccd 16 ft Bambi.
Thinking about 1800 miles from Modesto Ca to Kansas City Mo this Christmas
Things like would the water freeze if the heater is running should the temp drop below freezing? ect... thanks! I know a lot would depend on the weather at the time of departure, but if it looks like a fairly
mild condition, how much cold can you safly travel in, wiout worry of water freezing ect... thanks in advance for any help..... mike/joyce
I will mention one thing on this subject. Get a set of either cable chains or tire chains for your trailer. If you encounter some significant winter driving, better to be safe than sorry. If you have to hit the brakes in the snow, it is very likely that the trailer will start to come around on you. You could also turn the gain wayy down on your brake controller. But I recommend the chains.

As for the other things, If you leave the heat on low you should be ok with the water systems in your coach. Providing it doesn't get really cold. +25 f or below.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:29 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
There are a couple of ways around the freezing water issues, one you can winterize the trailer and not use the water system at all. Drink bottled water, use the campground facilities (if they are open). If it is going to be COLD (under 28 degrees) while in transit I have and will run the furnace to keep the trailer warm. The chains idea is a good one if you expect to hit any icy conditions at all.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Water in 16ft ccd 2004 freezing

Talke to a guy at the dealership that has camped for many years and he said not to worry about the water freezing while traveling. He said the way they are insulated and the (movement of the unit will prevent it from freezing) while in transit. I said even if it drops into the teens, and he said correct.
Not to worry, and that I should not travel with the heater on. Tha's my main conern (being able to use the water, but not having to winterize it for the trip). It sounded strange to me that simply the fact that the trailer moving would prevent it from freezing even if the tem drops to the low teens.
He said that once I make it to the KOA that I will be staying at then turn the heater on!.... Any help would be appreciated very much in regards to travel without winterizing on this trip to Kansas City, this Christmas... mike/joyce
Old 12-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Angry Baby, it's cold outside....

Mike and Joyce -

All of us in the Kansas City area hope that it warms up in the next 3 weeks, but it ain't looking good. We are supposed to hit 4 degrees tonight with a wind chill of ... well, I don't even want to think about it. It was 67 here two weeks ago. Supposed to get our first big snow beginning tomorrow afternoon. Of course, all that snow is coming from the Rockies. They had 100 mph winds there yesterday.

I would suggest that you take a south route and get a weather monitor radio to carry with you on your trip. Of course, south of here normally gets ice when we get snow......

Ain't I just a barrel of fun and good news..... stay safe

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We have done winter camping both dry and wet. If your tanks are full it will not freeze during your drive and the heated tanks will take care of it when you are on site, provided battery or electriciy does not fail. We carry water to refill in portable bottles from winter water location spigots, usually on the outside of an utility building. Any hose outside will freeze. We used the waste tank but added antifreeze. It's the finding sanitation stations in the winter that is the problem. For dry camping I find plastic dish pans from WalMart that fit the kitchen sink and all water goes from inside bottle(s) to pan and then to a 5 gallon bucket I keep in the shower to empty later. We keep a teakettle of water on the stove for hot water. Still used the blackwater with antifreeze as absolutely necessary but I think a portapotti would be easier to contend with.

We tried not heating the trailer during travel and found that an unexpected late night stop on the road about froze us to death as the beds were like tombs! So now we heat, even if we are stopping to camp it is just so much more comfortable. It's cold enough outside with all the outside duties as it is.

We do have the dual 12 volt/electric mattress pads to turn on while driving to preheat the beds about 20 minutes to an hour before stopping if we know when we are stopping and will not have electricity. They pull some current so we don't leave them on for boondocking but we do for overnight on the road.

Don't drive when it is icy or actively snowing. You will regret it.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

thanks for the Advise!!

I will be watching the weather between now and the 18,19,20, of December.
Short of snow storms, I plan on taking the Pod. (16ft bambi). I guess I could add antifreeze to the tank on board, so that the water goes through the hot water heater, and and water used for the toilet would not freeze up while in transit. I just hate to put the stuff in the system since it would be nice to be able to wash your hands, ect,, with water in sink.....
maybe I could put antifreeze in the black/gray water tank, and not put any in the fresh water, that way we could use the toilet, which is nice while on the road. Anyway thanks for the time and replys. I have also been reading some past threads on the subject...... mike/joyce
Old 01-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Going to Move up!!

Went the southern route from Modesto Ca, to Kansas City Mo. Weather was GREAT, both ways!! No snow, and mild weather the whole time we were there. Thinking about getting a bigger airstream at the moment. Working on some deals at present time in Mantica. Looking for a unit that we can stay in while visiting family. The 16 ft unit is great for weekends, to the beach, and even for the trip to Kansas City. But not nearly big enoung to stay in comfortably while visiting family. Thinking either 23, or 25, 28 ft.
What a seperate larger shower and queen size bed.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
At first I wanted a 22' but my husband wanted more space than that. We find the 25' to be small enough to not be obtrusive and large enough to give us plenty of storage and elbow room. I keep hinting about a 28' but still no nibbles on that. We are quite comfortable with 25' and we always have our 90+# German Shepherd with us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vittles.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	18296  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine
It sounded strange to me that simply the fact that the trailer moving would prevent it from freezing even if the tem drops to the low teens.
He said that once I make it to the KOA that I will be staying at then turn the heater on!.... Any help would be appreciated very much in regards to travel without winterizing on this trip to Kansas City, this Christmas... mike/joyce
I would ask that guy if he has ever seen a water fall during a "Cold" winter?
trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #11
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--Moving water does not freeze. Go to a small craft boat dock in winter (where water freezes) and you will usually see one or more boats in the water with air bubbling up around the hull (from compressed air from a bubbler under the boat), preventing the water around the boat from freezing.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Moving water does not freeze?

Snow? That was water, moving in the air, and it didn't freeze?

What the bubbler does, in the marina, is bring up the warmer water from 3 feet below the surface, to HOPEFULLY keep the hull free of ice.

If you talk to a ski slope worker about how they make snow, high pressure water is cooled to below freezing and then shot into the air. In the 3 to 4 seconds that the chilled water moves thru the cold air, it turns to ice(snowflakes).

Half of my onboard water freezing in the water tank is not of much concern. What scares me is the one once of water trapped in the shower valve, or flush valve, or dump valve, or sink valve. Those small individual, trapped, quantities of water have just enough space to be happy, as long as they are kept above 32 degrees. Small, trapped, quantities of water get very angry when chilled, and tend to strike back. I try not to anger chilled water pixies.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Druupy--Snow comes from water vapor in the air. The high pressure supercooled water at the ski slope may also become vaporized. You're right about those water pixies, they delight in freezing water in those small spaces when they get chilly--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote