Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2019, 04:45 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Living that dream

I continue to live full-time in my 2015 25 ft Flying Cloud. I did recently relocate again from Western Colorado to central Indiana. Last night the low was 5, my cat and me stayed a cozy 72. After reviewing hundreds of comments on winter living in an Airstream I’ve made no alterations outside of adding a Dyson hot-cool purifying heater in the bedroom, this gives the furnace a little break. I also am keeping the water heater turned on. I expect to spend $20-$30 a week on propane.

At my parent’s annoyance I basically lived in my stilted playhouse as a kid. “Love” got me into home ownership and now that I’m single I’m not going back. This is how I want to live. I love living in my Stream Dream and experiencing weather and the outdoors more intimately. Writing this before the alarm goes off and I have to put on my button down and go to my office job...there are many ways even if following the warm weather isn’t an option.

Enjoy the winter months folks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	59E48541-DC79-427A-8EA5-579CC4F3EFAB.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	622.5 KB
ID:	356153
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
I’m airstreaming full time and also not able to chase warm weather because of the job. I’m still new to it, but so far I love it!! What is the biggest lesson you learned?
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Appreciate your response saraed. Good luck to you. Well, I’d be being dishonest if I didn’t say my biggest lesson has been learning a proper unhitching procedure (I’ve been pulling an rv of some type for years, but was unfamiliar with the hitch I had), anyway, nearly lost my fingers, you can read the full story in my posting history or under the hitch forum. Learning to ignore haters, buying the Dyson space heater I feel comfortable sleeping with, NOT allowing campground sprinklers to spray my AS, avoiding the soap at truck washes, putting a insulated foam board under my mattress to avoid humidity problems. And I know you just asked for one, but I’ve also learned, that at least for me, the RV lifestyle is not a cheaper way to live, just a preferred way. I owned a lovely home and my mortgage was $800 a month...but it had no wheels . The cheapest way to live is in an average apartment, but can’t stomach that. Would like to hear more of your story...
Old 11-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
You need to find yourself a job in some southern states!

Here is where we are right now!

That said, there are many things to buy for your Airstream to help insulate and keep it from freezing. I'm sure you've looked into a lot of these. We have the "white" square pillow for the fantastic fan we use in cold and warm weather. Insulating sheets made from a roll of that plastic 1/4" silver insulation can be made to fit windows and provide additional protection from the sun or the cold.

Airstream builds a three-season trailer. There are many challenges to turn it into a year-round home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT sea ranch-0359.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	356339  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Wow, beautiful. I spent several years on Dauphin Island, nice campground there. I enjoy all seasons. My issue with Reflectix et al is that covering the windows leads to moisture build up. I don’t know a way around this other than pulling the curtains back and exposing the windows to the indoor temperatures and watching the snow fly. I am not convinced an Airstream is only 3 seasons, my tent ain’t . Enjoys!
Old 11-17-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
Appreciate your response saraed. Good luck to you. Well, I’d be being dishonest if I didn’t say my biggest lesson has been learning a proper unhitching procedure (I’ve been pulling an rv of some type for years, but was unfamiliar with the hitch I had), anyway, nearly lost my fingers, you can read the full story in my posting history or under the hitch forum. Learning to ignore haters, buying the Dyson space heater I feel comfortable sleeping with, NOT allowing campground sprinklers to spray my AS, avoiding the soap at truck washes, putting a insulated foam board under my mattress to avoid humidity problems. And I know you just asked for one, but I’ve also learned, that at least for me, the RV lifestyle is not a cheaper way to live, just a preferred way. I owned a lovely home and my mortgage was $800 a month...but it had no wheels . The cheapest way to live is in an average apartment, but can’t stomach that. Would like to hear more of your story...

Your advice is the best kind: little stuff that you don’t think of until something has gone wrong. It seems like most people assume I’m moving to an Airstream to save money and I tell them that I’m paying about the same amount I was in my apartment. It’s not any cheaper, but it’s mine and it goes where I go.

I’m parked in a campground outside of DC where I’m stationed (I’m in the military). I have no experience with RVs or trailers at all, so I’ve learned everything from these forums and YouTube. I got my used truck and trailer used a couple months ago and so far everything has been smooth sailing. I’ve had to teach myself how to fix a couple things, but after lots of googling and reading I’ve been able to do it on my own. Right now the only thing that scares me is backing up.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Backing up gets easier with time. Smart move buying a house on wheels IMO. I’m a civilian, but GS employee and being able to relocate helps my department and me take jobs in hard to fill locations, jump grades faster, etc. But, all that’s just secondary gain, I genuinely love living this way. We can do winter no matter what they say, winter heating cost is high even in a house, maybe even more so. Just use your furnace 60/40 instead of space heater to prevent pipes from freezing. Dumping a little antifreeze in the gray/black tank can’t hurt either. I’m only connected to electricity and fill my fresh tank once weekly, not sure if your park leaves the water on all winter or not, mine doesn’t. Being hooked up to water is another route as far as winter planning goes. Sounds like you got it under control though! Appreciate your service. PM me any time.