Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Come On SPRINGTIME

Springtime in the Missouri Ozarks is a season to die for.......if you can make it through January and February!!! I'm thinking I'm pretty good for January - but the only thing February has to commend it is brevity.......

The 'Full-Timing' is going great. No, don't miss the 'stick and brick' house (or the housework, or the maintenance, or the tree trimming, or the lawn maintenance, or.........) - but have had relatively few 'glitches' with the Tincan - and all were pretty easily resolved.......the dehumidifier is a marvel.....should be listed as a 'must have' item for all winter 'streamers....and the little Pelonis Furnace - who'd a 'thunk it???? Nice nice nice.

The new electric service (to both coaches) has made life a lot easier. I don't waste electric, but I do like to use it. The SOB is going to be the 'frequent traveler' and a 'guest house' (my son is in Iraq and about to come home). My oldest son has a small SOB of his own - so we'll make an interesting family this summer. Both boys grew up with AS's too - and they know LOTs about them (the oldest is finding out that not all RVs are made like Airstreams).

I find plenty to do to occupy my time.......lately it's been rearranging and insulating. I also find plenty of time to ask myself 'why did I bring that'????

Come on spring!!!

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I am ready for spring Jan too. While I am home now I just finished up three months of winter camping and would like to know which Pelonis heater and what dehumidifier you are using. I thought I had a leak and it turned out I had condensation and need a dehumidifier. I haven't looked for small appliances yet so any tips from you would be appreciated. I do have a Pelonis and an oil filled radiator but that was very large but nice to warm by.

Hoping Valentines in the Ozarks will warm you!

Carol
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Hi Carol....

First of all - the dehumidifier is wonderful. We got a 45 pint Maytag. I had my eye on a nice little Frigidaire at Lowes but this guy cropped up on eBay and I had an itchy bidding finger - so I ended up with it - at a great price even with the shipping. I've had it for a day and a half and I've emptied about 3 gallons of water. It can be attached to a hose but I really want to monitor the water output. Neat thing is, it feels better in here. I hate feeling clammy, especially in January, for Pete's sake......and this guy is doing the trick. It kind of sounds like a refrigerator running - but I like white noise, so it's no bother to me. I really also like that the windows aren't steamed up - and the walls aren't clammy.......all I can say is that I wish I'd known earlier. The dampness was never a problem before we decided to 'fulltime'. The coach sat in our backyard and was kept at 55 degrees all winter. Moving in, with us and the critters, created a lot of moisture that we'd never experienced before. We had 'cold weather camped' but not for this extended a period. Well, the dehumidifier is the answer to that - as well as making some insulation modifications (which also is REALLY helping).

The little Pelonis is called the Pelonis Furnace. It's a 5 disc ceramic forced air heater with a thermostat. It's all metal - really nicely made. We also have two little electric heaters (look like little Franklin stoves) - one front and one back. I love the way they look, but they also do a fine job assisting the furnace. I tend to 'zone heat'......meaning, I use the furnace at a lower setting and also use the little heaters wherever I am to warm it up comfortably. In the evening, and when it's this cold, I back off on the electric heat so the furnace will heat the tanks.

I recommend the Dehumidifier and the Pelonis heater. I'm really impressed with the quality of the Pelonis and the dehumidifier is doing a super job. My windows are clear and nothing is the least bit damp. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the beds away from the walls so the bedding will dry out (it was feeling kind of cold and moist)......then I'm going to wipe down my walls. I'm thinking I just might use this dehumidifier to help the A/C in the summer - don't think it would hurt do you?

Where are you located? Where was your trip?

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dehumidifier, winter