Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Airstream or not to Airstream...

Well, I'm considering heading to NJ with my 'new to me' 1996, 28' airstream.

There's adjusting work to be done, and hotel rooms are few and expensive.

I'm thinking that waterless Airstreaming may be better than sleeping in the truck when I can't get a hotel room.

I've read a bit here...Any tips?
Nomad, 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, why not use campgrounds? Full hookups.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, why not use campgrounds? Full hookups.
It would still be in danger of freezing in Nov-Dec

Correct?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have traveled in freezing weather as well. Bring your water in bottles for drinking, cooking, and do sponge baths as needed. There are camp toilets that use disposable plastic liners and you can do the same lining yours with sturdy kitchen trash bags.

Make do, no problem.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have traveled in freezing weather as well. Bring your water in bottles for drinking, cooking, and do sponge baths as needed. There are camp toilets that use disposable plastic liners and you can do the same lining yours with sturdy kitchen trash bags.

Make do, no problem.

doug k
Also make DOO, no problem.

A drywall compound bucket with kitty litter also works and helps control odor.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Medically retired Marine.... I was a grunt.

Delt with much worse, thinking, if I can get a place with power... My best bet is to live in it dry.

I'll leave before daylight, get back after dark. 7 days a week.

Mainly checking to see if I'm missing something (this was sudden, in the midst of negotiation for my next contract In one of my other careers I get a phone call about doing lunch... This was today. Headding north Monday with or without...)
Old 11-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

a , wanderer
I'd probably bring some extra propane tanks just in case you couldn't get it locally and a generator and supply of fuel for it. Being away from it all day, I'd also lock it down real good given some of the news reports.
But if it was me, I'd definitely choose to bring my Airstream rather than hope to get a room somewhere.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
You are gonna be real hard pressed to find an open campground around here or just about anywhere north of Va. at this time of year. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
You are gonna be real hard pressed to find an open campground around here or just about anywhere north of Va. at this time of year. Sal
Especially after Sandy. In addition to transient labor flocking to the area to aid in rebuilding, you've also got people displaced by damage to their homes that will find themselves occupying FEMA trailers in every campground that hasn't closed for the winter.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Okay guys this may be a stupid question but why do the newer Airstreams have a heated underbelly if not to winter camp in freezing weather? We are newbees to Airstreaming and camping so here is another question for you. What is the purpose of having a heated water hose. Do parks still allow the use of their city water connections in the winter?
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsigman View Post
Okay guys this may be a stupid question but why do the newer Airstreams have a heated underbelly if not to winter camp in freezing weather? We are newbees to Airstreaming and camping so here is another question for you. What is the purpose of having a heated water hose. Do parks still allow the use of their city water connections in the winter?
There are different approaches to every problem. If it were just camping in the winter rather than going to a disaster area, it would be no problem camping in the winter. Commercial campgrounds that are open in freezing weather have their water spigots protected against freezing. Nothing in the trailer should freeze as long a you take certain precautions. There are many threads here on cold weather camping. However, keep in mind that as far as RVs go, the Airstream is not particularly well equipped for very cold temperatures. A well equipped for cold RV has much better insulation and double pane windows along with more attention paid to the problems of cold.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Nomadic1

Take your Airstream. You will have a dry warm place to stay. The rest of the challenges will be easy for you to handle. The folks that you will be helping will have far less then you.

What an adventure you will have. Let us all know how it goes.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsigman View Post
Not a heated underbelly, per se, but my Airstream Interstate has electrically heated fresh and gray tanks. The black tank isn't heated because it's mounted above the floor where it's heated by the furnace.

However— and this is a big however— the tank heaters draw an awful lot of current, and will depete the house batteries in about four hours; they should only be used if you're running on generator or shore power.

Heated water hose is because exposed pipes (and hoses) freeze first, long before tanks. A heated hose allows you to keep your hose connected, and not even fill your fresh tank. In theory. Depends on if you're talking about an overnight frost or a days-on-end freeze. I have a heated hose, but wouldn't trust it for a long freeze; the heated hose will not protect the faucet it's attached to.

Any park that is expected a freeze that lasts long enough to put their underground water piping at risk will obviously shut off their water. But then again, those parks that experience temperatures like that probably close for the whole winter anyway.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Found a park for $650/month

Reserved a slip as it beats the $60/day hotel rate by quite a bit.

I'll be there Thursday, let the fun begin!!!