Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Carpet Runners

We're about to start using our 1987 345 and we want to protect the carpeting as long as possible. Where have you been able to purchase hall runners?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airst007.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	86645  
Old 09-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You can buy a heavy duty saran wrap type of protection - used primarily by realty people when showing a house. It sticks to the carpet - kinda like a post-it pad, and can be replaced about once every week or two.

There is also a more permanent runner that you can get at Home Depot or any other big box hardware store - it's thickish clear plastic with little grabbers on the bottom. Used in stairways, etc to protect the carpet.

One problem with layering carpet on top of carpet is that the friction between the top layer and bottom can mess up the fibers on the bottom permanently.

Of course if you use a throw rug at the door and take off your shoes most of the dirt won't track in. Crocs are popular because they are kick-offs.

Paula
Old 09-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are big proponents of kicking off shoes at the door, makes such a difference in what comes inside (dirt, pesticides, animal waste, bird droppings) that you really don't want to be barefoot in. We have been advised the same as Paula, in that you don't want anything on your carpet that moves as you walk on it, because it will permanently harm the underneath fibers. The cut-to-fit plastic runners with teeth on the bottom work very well on carpet, are heavy enough to be quite durable and wipe clean. You can also use those rubberish, mesh rug stabilizer mats under rugs and runners, available at WalMart, etc., which serve the same purpose and allow a more decorative runner.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
We have dogs that we will be airstreaming with and I was just wanting to protect the carpet from them.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
I purchased some cheap 6+ feet long narrow runners at Wallmart. They are black and I love them. I have them over my tile floor. Easy to clean, take outside and scrub with soap and water and let dry in the sun. Also used such in my former Class A.
You may now want black with pet - I think they have other colors. They are rolled up in the store.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I use them in our Argosy. I picked ours up at Lowes, they had a really good selection.
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Looks like a trip to walmart is in order. Thanks all.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Floor rant warning

I guess we have a different take on what carpet is for—it's to walk on. Would you take out the carpet and put down a plastic floor? Vaccum frequently and the carpet should last longer and if the carpet is any good, it should last a long time. It's there to enjoy, not cover with a cheap runner.

We don't take our shoes off either—it's to live in, the outside world is dirty and some of it is coming inside. Of course, we have vinyl through most of the trailer (a plastic floor, but not as ugly as those plastic runners), so it's easier to keep clean, but it's not as nice as carpet or what we have in most of our house—tile.

It's camping after all.

Floor rant over; please continue regular programming.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Wow! Walmart has a great selection in store. There is an IKEA about 30 miles away and I saw on their website that they have runners too, but Walmart is so much closer. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
We use 2'x2' carpet tiles. I got mine free from a carpet vender that was going to throw away a box of samples. They sit on top of my marmolum floor. They are great because you can piece them together however you want, and they cover the main path through the a/s. Aso, if one is dirty you just pick it up and take it out side to beat against a tree, or toss if stained...
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamjudy View Post
I purchased some cheap 6+ feet long narrow runners at Wallmart. They are black and I love them. I have them over my tile floor. Easy to clean, take outside and scrub with soap and water and let dry in the sun. Also used such in my former Class A.
You may now want black with pet - I think they have other colors. They are rolled up in the store.
Hi Judy,
I found a nice pattern at walmart and purchased the non slip grids to put under them. It looks great. Photos up next week as I am almost done with cleaning the inside and the replacement curtains finally arrived from airstream.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
north vancouver , British Columbia
I just completed two trip swith our 28 foot Excella. i installed a plastic runner front to back and had to re adjust it every day. It was a nuisance. I am going to try the self adhesive clear covering for our next trip.
The carpets in our 98 model are in excellent condition and I trying to keep them that way.

Paul
Cauuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We got our heavy plastic runners (w/ points on the bottom) at Menards. They really work well and roll up in a breeze when not needed.....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Only problem with the sticky stuff is that over time the stickiness will transfer to your carpet, I use the harder plastic runner from Home Depot to protect the carpet, i find it works well, but does need adjustment from time to time. Also, we just take our shoes off at the door.
Streamer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The problem with floors is that they are an extension of the ground outside. We live in a rural area and we take our trailer to places with dirt, gravel, mud, more dirt, and water. Not wanting to take our shoes off and then put them on constantly, we track the outside in and the inside out (not much goes out). The house and the trailer suffer the consequences.

Floors get dirty, so we refrain from eating and sleeping on them. We have a broom and a vacuum. They must be cleaned a lot and it's a pain, but that is living in the world.

By the way, the vacuum came from Griot's Garage, works very well, is small and only 4.5 lbs. It was well worth it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Grottoes , Virginia
I've never understood the plastic over carpeting and furniture lifestyle. It may keep things looking like new longer, but you never get to see or enjoy it so what's the purpose? I rather my things have that 'gently' loved and lived in feel myself
rovercamper is offline   Reply With Quote