Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Celina , Tennessee
Talking What year am I looking for

We are new to Airstream and are looking at restoring an oldie but goody. Question is we will be traveling with others so what year did the Soviergn start with the rear beds and middle bathroom, don't like getting woke up by a midnite trip, I sleep real light. Also did this year have both gray and black water tanks.

Other question has anyone set one up with a generator or do you just carry one to kick off as needed.

Thanks in advanced for the info
poppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa
We are new to Airstream and are looking at restoring an oldie but goody. Question is we will be traveling with others so what year did the Soviergn start with the rear beds and middle bathroom, don't like getting woke up by a midnite trip, I sleep real light. Also did this year have both gray and black water tanks.

Other question has anyone set one up with a generator or do you just carry one to kick off as needed.

Thanks in advanced for the info
Airstream started putting the grey water tank in during the '73 year. I'm not sure exactly which years had some rear twin beds but I do know that I have seen some pictures of some '77 and later years with the rear beds and mid bath. In the mid 80's, specifically the '85 model year I think, the rear twins or corner bed models with mid bath became popular in the 25' model. I chose an '86 Sovereign 25' corner bed/mid (side) bath for it's stronger frame and so that sleeping areas were seperated by the bathroom. The '70's models had a smaller frame than later model years. I can't be sure which year in the 80's the frame became taller but I do know that the '85 and later do have a beefier frame. Also, in '83, Airstream went to a different type of aluminum sheeting which does not polish up quite as well as previous years. Hope some of this info helps and other members will fill in the blanks I have left.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote