Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Granbury , Texas
Need Decorating Ideas

I'm just not sure what theme to go with...have you seen anything you love???
Ideas please
31airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
You might want to pour yourself a cool drink and start browsing some photo galleries, both here and at the Vintage Airstream site. See which interiors resonate with you. I got a lot of my ideas by browsing fabric sites, so here are a few to try:

J&O Fabrics
Reprodepot
Melinamade

You can't beat a rally for getting interior ideas, too, because you can tour all kinds of trailers in person.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Decorating ideas

We're kind of in the same spot - deciding on what exactly to do to ours ('05 30' Classic). Have the standard A/S interior and after 2+ years, we're wanting to make it "ours".

Gonna pull out the carpet & vinyl and put in planks... make a Gypsy wagon out of the interior. Don't want to get too extreme but will change knobs-hardware, wash a darker stain on the wood, rugs, etc. Take out the mirrored door panels... figuring out what to do with the carpeted walls & vinyl ceiling. Don't want to take it all off (way too much remodeling work!), but will try and change the color. Where the walls have wallpaper, we'll use wood slat paneling. This will be a process for sure as we navigate each other's preferences. Geeze... wait til we start talking about upholstery!

Other ideas were to simply change the color & texture of the "wall papered" walls as well as finish on the wood. Changing the flooring is the first thing though. We thought about some of the 50's style thing but decided that way a bit... uh... cliche'ish...

A good way to begin is to decide what kind of a room "style" appeals to y'all. What are your interests and what exemplifies that. What colors do y'all like and so on. Always keep in mind that whatever you add will add weight, so either keep it simple or make sure not to add much more that what you remove.

Saw an Airstream once where the interior had been remodeled ala Prevost tour bus and what a sight that was! Unfortunately, my chief operating officer won't even begin to appreciate the merits of that design concept... She keeps me centered....

Which brings me to a question: wonder why Airstream doesn't look at some of those interiors and work towards a more stylish interior (with weight in mind, of course), instead of the standard "trailer" look? Sorry, but the "urban, industrial" look doesn't grab me. Give options, make a truly "Limited" model... I could see it now: "Airstream Custom". Makes me want to get out the checkbook, Airstream...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We're redoing our Sovereign in a granite/marble interior, with granite vinyl flooring in the galley area, and marble vinyl flooring in the bathroom area, with medium blue carpet with light grey /dark grey flecks to synch with the vinyl. Eventually we will be refitting the kitchen counter in a faux marble laminate.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Over the Top Interiors

I realize that this is really a high-end approach, but check out http://www.dassaultfalcon.com/index_static.jsp. Click on Aircraft above the photographs. Then click product tour on the left. In the popup window, for example choose 900 series. Choose the Mid-Cabin on the left and check out the coffee table to dinner table series of photographs, images 1-4. All the exotic wood in a Falcon Jet is actually veneer over honeycomb aluminum to keep the weight down. These interiors are done at Dassault’s facility here in Little Rock. I’m not suggesting that you try to duplicate the interior of a multi million dollar aircraft, just a place to glean ideas. After all, they are really intent on quality and light weight.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #6

BROOKLYN , Michigan
Hello,
We too are remodeling and We Need Help....Not only do we not know what we're doing but can't find anyone that will do the job for us...We've seen quite a few pictures and they are all so nice but sooo costly...We need the "complete" inside remodeled...Does anyone know where to get help or where we buy sofas for Airstream...thanks
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Hi Nicholle and Wes!

Here's a thread I made a little while back about the redesign of our motor home. So far I have collected a lot of stuff but we have been concentrating on the steering/brake components so no interior work yet.

I hope this helps! It's so much fun to take one of these mohos/trailers and make it your own!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
What is your style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31airstream
I'm just not sure what theme to go with...have you seen anything you love???
Ideas please
I believe that any decorating project whether it be at home, office or your RV should be reflective of your personal style. What types of materials and decor do you enjoy being surrounded by?

For example. We love different styles of modern design but could not incorporate all of those elements in our home. We have high tech stainless, glass and concrete at home. This will not work too well in our AS. Since our AS is an early 60s model we will go with the 60s Atomic modern design theme in our AS. Albeit modern, it is still a different style and one we do not have at home.

The bottom line is that you will be spending time in your AS, try to make the atmosphere to your liking. I have seen some pretty innovative designs on these forums and other AS sites.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Crossville , Tennessee
There is a '72 Airstream sitting in my yard with everything in dissaray. If anyone has any ideas on plans for building a platform bed which will close up for a sitting couch. I would be so grateful for any help. Thanks to anyone who can help. Betty Wiles bwwusa@frontiernet.net
Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
I realize that this is really a high-end approach, but check out http://www.dassaultfalcon.com/index_static.jsp. Click on Aircraft above the photographs. Then click product tour on the left. In the popup window, for example choose 900 series. Choose the Mid-Cabin on the left and check out the coffee table to dinner table series of photographs, images 1-4. All the exotic wood in a Falcon Jet is actually veneer over honeycomb aluminum to keep the weight down.
Vaughan
I want one of those wraped in the aluminum tube it came in!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31airstream
I'm just not sure what theme to go with...
You mean you are supposed to have a theme? I didn't get that memo. I will probally redo the fabrics when I get the time and money (my blinds would make Ray Charles wince), but my focus is on getting the airstream to fun places to enjoy.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

You asked for it..........theme ideas that is.

Log cabin, Nautical, Space Age, Jungle, 50s Diner, Modern, Art Deco,
Elvis, Cowboy, Native American, South Western, Beach, Tiki Hut,
Disco Bar, Saloon, Gypsy, Trailer Trash, or you could find something
that says you. There is always the original design
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

Decorating is oh, so personal..... We did our Bambi in the original style, but changed the colors to our liking. Everything in our Bambi is some shade of green, but I love green! We have tried to keep things simple and easy to clean (hey, we are camping!) it is nice for us as the 1963 Bambi has a style very different than our home (1900 victorian). We get a little of the "modern" look while camping!

Lots of good suggestions here. Go to a rally and view what others have done, you will pick up lots of good ideas! Good luck.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Interiors

We started a thread a while back about making AS interiors your own...mostly geared at those of us with newer Airstreams, and to spread the concept that it's possible to create your own look, even with the newer rigs which don't need to be restored...but the ideas can certanly be applied to refurbishing older models as well when it comes to the "decor" point in refurbishing...

Here's the link to that thread... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...tml#post431210

Enjoy!
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
here's one...awhile back I was searching for ways to cover a wall in a famous restaurant and instead of airbrushing a mural, (which would have taken too long) I came across these old fence panels made from half round cedar,very old and aged, literally grey. These are those fence panels sections you all have seen around peoples homes sometimes. These had been thrown away but what a find! I dismantled them into single boards (these were in a natural state (unpainted) so I was able to use many of the eight foot peices, and will soon be plateing right onto my exsisting walls...and these are very light weight too! So there you have my two cents worth. A beautiful wood that can be recycled into interiors...nowadays I go around looking for these style of fence panels and folks they are out there.
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
jonybgood,

Got any pics of the fence panels? I am clueless what they might look like! Sounds interesting!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You can veiw a wall I did with the cedar 'fence' pieces at the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo...the wall was too big for airbrushing,(too busy of a people spot, but with these fragments of wood I was able to get instant gratification...if I new how to get pictures on this site I would, anyway the wall is done in a plated parkay fashion useing one and two foot peices...it remains unstained...however if you stain this wood cedar with clear polyurethane it will turn golden looking and sometimes very dark ...either way it's beautiful
Old 10-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
let's see if this picture comes thru

I will try practicing doing pictures on this site so hang in there...
Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
Hi 31Airstream

You may find some ideas here About Ralph Lauren - About.RalphLauren.com

also IKEA is a fun store for ideas; lots of lightweight materials and fun fabrics for decorating.
dijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Mile High Interiors

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I want one of those wraped in the aluminum tube it came in!
Hi Michelle,

Yeah, don’t we all. They build the “tubes” in France. They fly them to Little Rock with hand held instruments, primed interiors, and white paint. All the interior fabrication, instrumentation, and final paint is done here in Little Rock. The displays they have showing interior materials would make any Airstreamer simply drool. They employ about 1,800 skilled craftsmen there.

Hawker has an identical operation that employs about 750. I wish I knew someone with connections to get me access to their scraps. From either place.