Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Gaucho Question

I am reinstalling the front gaucho in my 66 Tradewind. I had to do some minor repairs on it, mainly tacking it back together at the joints. The front edge rests on the wedges that are attached to the oak slides that allow it to be pulled out. Is it supposed to be a bit elevated in the front (about a 2 inch recline), or should it be level? Mechanically it seems right in the reclined position, but aesthetically my concern is that when it is in reclined position there is a gap of open space of about two inches so that you may look into the underside, or storage space of the couch. When it is pulled out are there supposed to be legs or any support on the front side, if not what supports this cantilevered portion? I hope some one has pictures or can explain this to me. Thanks in advance.

Bill
66 Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Hi Bill. The attached pics of the front layout in a '66 TW plus the gaucho in a '76 Argosy might be a handy reference. If the bolster, cushions, rails and frame are correctly positioned, the front edge of the seat cushion should be flush. It sounds like your frame may not be level.
Legs are not needed to support the overhang weight in the bed position if the telescoping aluminum (oak in your case) rails are doing their job.
I hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaucho.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	9675  
Attached Images

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Hi Bill. The attached pics of the front layout in a '66 TW plus the gaucho in a '76 Argosy might be a handy reference. If the bolster, cushions, rails and frame are correctly positioned, the front edge of the seat cushion should be flush. It sounds like your frame may not be level.
Legs are not needed to support the overhang weight in the bed position if the telescoping aluminum (oak in your case) rails are doing their job.
I hope this is helpful.
Thanks Roger,

The layout picture is the same as mine. The frame is level. Here lies my problem. The oak slide rails are attached to the back of the gaucho by a hinge and screws in three places (left, right, and center). The other oak rail slides forward to extend the gaucho, this function works. The problem is when the rails are telescoped in, the length of the oak rails exceed the width of the gaucho not allowing the seat of the gaucho to lay flat. There is a trim board that runs across the front length of the gaucho. When the gaucho is closed, there is a space looking into the storage. It is in-between this trim board and the top of the cabinet. It also seems if the oak rails were shorter and allowed the seat of the gaucho to lie flat, the trim board that I referred to would hang over the two cabinet doors, obstructing them from opening. I wish I could send a picture but I don't know how to make the file small enough to be accepted by the server. Head scratcher!

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 12-07-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Bill, it sounds like the slide rails need to be shortened so they will nest properly, but if you want, send me the pics you have and I'll resize and post them here so as to run the prob by our resident carpenters.
rojohn1st@yahoo.com

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:17 PM   #5
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Wait !!

Quote:
Bill, it sounds like the slide rails need to be shortened so they will nest properly, but if you want, send me the pics you have and I'll resize and post them here so as to run the prob by our resident carpenters.
rojohn1st@yahoo.com
I WOULD NOT shorten the slides. Instead check the wedge block positioning. I believe they can be re-located so as to make the gaucho level out. The wedge blocks are stops that keep the unit from extending in transit. It should be necessary to lift the front edge to override the stops so you can extend the gaucho. In closed position the wedge block should rest inside the front rail- at least that's the way mine is constructed.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 PM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Ty for the clarification , Murray. I'm not qualifted to post a definitive answer, just trying to help. If Bill sends the pic, I will post it and leave the answer to those with more knowledge on this topic.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
rojohn1st@yahoo.com
Thanks Roger,

I will take some good pictures and send them to you. It will most likely be this weekend. Thanks again for you input and generosity.

Bill
Old 12-08-2004, 07:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
I WOULD NOT shorten the slides. Instead check the wedge block positioning. I believe they can be re-located so as to make the gaucho level out. The wedge blocks are stops that keep the unit from extending in transit. It should be necessary to lift the front edge to override the stops so you can extend the gaucho. In closed position the wedge block should rest inside the front rail- at least that's the way mine is constructed.
Good suggestion Murray. I will take a look at the wedges and see if the PO repositioned them. That would be too easy. Thanks for your input.

Bill
Old 12-14-2004, 02:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Red face not a problem

Roger and Murray,

It turns out that I did not have a problem to begin with. The wedges are supposed to rest on the front frame to create a slight recline. I feel pretty stupid. Sorry to waste your time in trying to solve my so-called dilemma. Roger, is there a short answer to how do I resize my images. I would like to post some before and after pics in my profile.

Thanks

Bill
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #10
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
I'm glad you got it figured out, Bill. No reason to feel stupid, I've done much worse.
Resizing your photos is really quite simple once you get the hang of it.
The method may vary a little depending on which photo editor you are using but here's the steps:

1. Open the photo you want to resize.
2. Look for the word "Image" on the top menu bar and click it.
3. You should see an option called "Resize" or "resample, click that.
4. The current pixel size will be displayed , such as Width 1600 Height 1200
5. Back those numbers out with your cursor and type in the size you want (usually 640 X 480) then click "OK"
6. Click "File" on the menu bar then click "Save".

Practice makes perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RESIZE.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	9746