Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Floor plan

I am not an owner, but I hope to become one, and I am trying to decide what floor plan would best meet my needs. I want a relatively short and light AS because I want to travel with it, not live in it. I think that twin beds (not bunk beds) would work best for my wife and me. We also want a gaucho in the front. From what I have seen, the shortest AS units with twin beds (on opposite sides of the unit, towards the rear, and in front of the rear bathroom) are 23-24 feet.

I am willing to reduce the size of the galley (I would want a 2 burner cooktop and small half-height refrigerator, but no oven) if I could get twin beds in an AS shorter than 23 feet. I am willing to make whatever interior changes would be necessary to do this. Has a floor plan like this been discussed before? If it has, I would appreciate being pointed to it. I would welcome any comments about whether it is possible to configure a twin bed AS they way I want it. Thanks for any assistance.
RankAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

If you are considering a new Airstream, the smallest unit that has both the gaucho and a twin bed option is the 30' Classic Limited. There are some older and vintage units that have twins amidships and the gaucho.

There is a new 25FB that can be had with twin beds, but no gaucho. This is about the smallest current Airstream with twin beds. Possibly, a 23FB can be converted to twins, but still no gaucho.

Possibly, vintage is best route for what you are looking for.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
hjlairf,
I'm re-building a 1960 24' TW (very slowly) and I have my "Floor Plan Intentions" drawn so I just lopped a little over 2' out of it to see if it would still "function".

I'm assuming you're thinking of an older unit since you said "light". This also assumes you'll be able to find a trailer w/ a compatible Window and Door Layout . . . Hope this helps visually see at least one option.
MarkR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fictitious.jpg
Views:	4533
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	75138  

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Vintage, not new

I was not clear in my original posting. I am interested in an older AS, not a new one. Thanks MarkR for the floor plan of your 24.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
MarkR, I jusr printed the attached jpg, which refers to a 22'. To make sure I understand: the jpg is a shortened (to 22') version of the floor plan of your 24'. Is that correct? If I understand the drawing correctly, it appears to me that a 22' could be configured the way I want. Is there enough space between the curbside door and the bed for a refrigerator in your opinion?; can you estimate that dimension? Do I understand correctly that the dotted line extending from the gaucho would be its footprint while laid out?; again, it looks to me as if it would fit.

I am curious as to what design tool (CAD?) you are using for the floorplan. I have no experience with CAD, but I may need to learn.

Thanks for the information, as it is very useful to me.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
hjlairf,
Right, I took actually about 30" out of the drawing to get it down to a what my Flying Cloud's interior dimensions are (about 18'). You may actually end up w/a trailer that is another 6-12" longer. A refrigerator would fit between the door and the bed in this drawing, in another Trailer the door could likely be further towards the back and there wouldn't be enough room for it. Ideally you find a trailer that has an inside dimension from the back to the door jamb of about 12'-6". And then of course you might be able to come up w/a design that will require more or less space for the bath room - there is usually always a solution. I use Autocad but solve/figure/design with a real pencil and paper.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You may want to keep an eye out for a 1960 Safari Twin or other early 60's Safari Twin. May be a needle in a haystack, but it has a floorplan like you describe and similar to what Mark drew up. Most have a dinette up front - but that would be easy to change out. I think it would be easier to change out the dinette to a gaucho than a double to twins IMO.

I know some of the Safari doubles have gaucho's up front instead of the dinette (a friend has one) not sure about the twin models though.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Just My $0.02...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlairf View Post
I am not an owner, but I hope to become one, and I am trying to decide what floor plan would best meet my needs. I want a relatively short and light AS because I want to travel with it, not live in it. I think that twin beds (not bunk beds) would work best for my wife and me. We also want a gaucho in the front. From what I have seen, the shortest AS units with twin beds (on opposite sides of the unit, towards the rear, and in front of the rear bathroom) are 23-24 feet.

I am willing to reduce the size of the galley (I would want a 2 burner cooktop and small half-height refrigerator, but no oven) if I could get twin beds in an AS shorter than 23 feet. I am willing to make whatever interior changes would be necessary to do this. Has a floor plan like this been discussed before? If it has, I would appreciate being pointed to it. I would welcome any comments about whether it is possible to configure a twin bed AS they way I want it. Thanks for any assistance.
Welcome Soon To Be Owner!!!

Many buyers upsize after realizing a few more feet would make a big comfort difference. I would not rule out a unit due to lenght. Vintage AS's are lighter than one would expect, and lightweight construction is one of the hallmark feartures. A couple of advantages to bigger units:

1. Double axles tend to provide a more stable tow platform.

2. The longer the trailer..The easier it is to back.

3. The market for longer trailers seems to be softer now, so there may be a significant price advantage to going bigger.

4. Many can still be towed with a 1/2 ton TV.

5. You may not have to make floorplan changes, and could use the extra cash to pick up a dozen plastic pink flamingos to round out your outfit.

Don't take me wrong I think the 20' range units are cool. Unless you're dead sure about size..it may pay you to kick a few tires so to speak.

What ever you do, keep us up to date, and post pictures.

Regards,

Kevin

PS... We also have a 25' that I actually like better than the 31'. But let's keep that between you and I...No one else really needs to know...

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Shari, I agree, and thanks for pointing out the Vintageairstream model listing. The 22' Safari is about the right length for me. If I get lucky, I will find a twin; if not, I may have to reconfigure a non-twin model.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
You might also look at the 23ft like the one I have. 1987 model with a couch/bed in the front and a dinette/bed on the side opposite the stove/oven. It has a rear bath. The actual body of the trailer measures 20ft. and has a double axle. I can fit in at most National Park sites. It's not as wide as the new models.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1963 19' Globetrotter
Forest , Mississippi
Any of the 70's safari models should have what you want. 23ft around 4000 to 4500lbs most have twins with front goucho.
2toomany is offline   Reply With Quote