Old 12-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
thanks to all for the info.

so - you only need to run the pad for a little while and then turn it off?
will the heating effect last 6-8 hours?

sounds like you can get away with using it while dry camping. yes?

i really don't want to drain the battery on a cold night.

our 22' AS ccd has both a regular electric plug near the bed and what appears to be a 12v socket similar to the lighter socket found in cars.

do your pads plug directly into the wall plug and come with a 12v converter?

thanks
Without going off on a tangent I'l attempt to answer your questions.

Yes the pad plugs directly into the 12v socket , no need for a converter.

The pad is not a substatute for apropriate covers , it's ment to warm and dry the bedding before entering' although they do have a thermostat.

They use about 3a so if it was on for an hour it would use 3 AH of battery, not much.

It's all about comfort level , some folks are cold blooded and some are warm blooded.

Happy camping

Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
thanks to all for your ideas, comments and experiences.

i guess my options are:

- use electric blanket with hook-up but not the battery

- use mattress pad, maybe with battery for short periods

- get a bigger dog

oh well, we'll probably stick with the pile of down comforters for a while and see if the new foam mattress helps. will also make sure to bring a small floor heater to pre-heat the AS before bed-time.

our next outing probably won't be until feb.

[tbrich - i worry about using a propane heater in an enclosed space like the AS; is the one you use recommended for this? az-]

btw, i have noticed that the AS electric heater [part of the ceiling a/c unit] seems pretty anemic in terms of the heat output. we used it when the temps were around 35-40 and it seemed to blow mainly warm air - not hot air.

happy travels and happy holidays to all

FCU WBCCI #1601
I Donít Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
[QUOTE=az-streamer;923150]...>snip<....
tbrich - i worry about using a propane heater in an enclosed space like the AS; is the one you use recommended for this? ...>sinp< az-]

We never sleep with the propane heater running...we use it to warm the place up then turn it off for the night...and warm up again in the AM when it's time to hit the cold floor...and we always make sure there is good ventilation when we do use it, too... I'll show it to you at Picacho if you like...we'll be using it there, for sure!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I like to sleep without the heat on but I get cold in the middle of the night so I ordered an Electro Warmth heated mattress pad from Amazon and it arrived today. I wanted to see how much it uses the battery power so I am hooking it up to my portable battery tonight that has a digital readout and will let you know how it works. It says 6.3 amps on the box, but the literature says that under normal use it only cycles on about 50% of the time, I guess if you put it on medium heat. We'll see..........
Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
[QUOTE=TBRich;923173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
...>snip<....
tbrich -I'll show it to you at Picacho if you like...we'll be using it there, for sure!
sorry - we'll be in FL visiting the grandkids and will miss picacho this year. i always hear its a really good time and maybe 2011?

will be at DH in feb! will probably need something then also.

az-streamer

FCU WBCCI #1601
Keep Moving My Friends
Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
It says 6.3 amps on the box, but the literature says that under normal use it only cycles on about 50% of the time, I guess if you put it on medium heat. We'll see..........
would be REALLY interesting to get this info.

might make the difference between buying and not. our AS only has a single battery and we sure don't want to drain it during a cold night.

az-streamer

FCU WBCCI #1601
Keep Moving My Friends
Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Well Sleeping Beauty is finally awake, I had the best night sleep ever... I turned it on high for an hour to preheat the bed as directed, then turned it to medium and slept for the first time the entire night without waking up like I usually do. Got up and flicked on the digital display for the battery this morning, nothing. Plugged it in and the display read zero. I had it fully charged, it is a Diehard and only a few years old.
I am pissed because I really wanted to use this.
In the trailer I have two batteries hooked together and I am hooked to shore power. Now if I use it there, would it only deplete them halfway since there are two? Plus if I am on shore power at the same time, wouldn't it be charging them at the same time as I am using them? I just don't want to run my trailer batteries too low over and over and limit their life span. Let me know....
Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Sleep

Quote:
Well Sleeping Beauty is finally awake, I had the best night sleep ever... I turned it on high for an hour to preheat the bed as directed, then turned it to medium and slept for the first time the entire night without waking up like I usually do. Got up and flicked on the digital display for the battery this morning, nothing. Plugged it in and the display read zero. I had it fully charged, it is a Diehard and only a few years old.
Quote:
In the trailer I have two batteries hooked together and I am hooked to shore power. Now if I use it there, would it only deplete them halfway since there are two? Plus if I am on shore power at the same time, wouldn't it be charging them at the same time as I am using them? I just don't want to run my trailer batteries too low over and over and limit their life span. Let me know....

Seeing as you had a good sleep, you can't expect your luck to continue?
Maybe you could buy solar panels and sleep during the day.
When the info details 50% cycle on the electric blanket, that would assume some other heat source in the shelter.

One solution would be to buy a timer for the blanket and have it cycle on and off during the night. You probably would not notice it once you were asleep and it would cut the useage down considerably.
Dave
Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Tell me if I am right in assuming that if I turned the mattress pad down to 3 for instance, it would cycle on only about 30% of the time?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Heat a couple of good sized flat rocks over your campfire.
Wrap them up in a towel and stick them under the covers.
You'll be toasty for hours. No battery drain what-so-ever.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Tehachapi , California
We use an Electro Warmth dual-control queen-size heated mattress pad. I find I'm more than toasty on the bottom and a little cool on top, so I need a better blanket or down comforter. We used our pads for 2 nights while in Yosemite during the 1st week of October and our little Group 24 battery held up fine. My DW doesn't get as cold as I do, but we both pre-heated the bed for an hour or so and then turned them down; hers to 1 or so, mine to 2-3 depending on if I woke up cold during the night. We still had battery after the 2nd night, so the heating pad must not use that much juice because it DOES cycle. cclarkego, maybe you have to crank down the pad to 2 or 3 and use a thicker blanket or down comforter to make your battery last and that's what I plan to do. Please try it again because there's nothing like a nice warm bed if you are a cold sleeper.
Kirk
Old 12-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
What do you mean by portable battery with a digital readout ? Is it a regular deep cycle battery or one of those jump starters ? How many amp/hour rating ?

If the pad is rated at 6.3a and you leave it on all night it defeats the purpose , the furnace uses about the same .
Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
The battery is one of those jump start things, combination inverter, air compressor, etc. I'll have to look up the amp/hour rating. I don't have a furnace, the PO took it out and replaced with two catalytic heaters which I use to get the trailer warm before bed, but don't want it on all night.
I'll try turning it down to 3 instead of medium and use more top bedding instead. I would really like this to work....
Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #28

canton , Georgia
try flannel sheets. they are great!