Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Can I replace the couch?

Does anybody make a replacement couch for a 86 Sovereign? Our couch is in good shape but when it comes to using it as a bed, my wife and I think it is the worst. We take the couch and let the kids have the rear twin. So, we never get a good night's sleep on that couch. Seems that I always end up in the crease of the couch. Has anybody else had this problem?

Greg
85Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
search the forums, as there have been discussions on gaucho or couch replacements.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Check Flexsteel.. they manufacture furniture for RVS.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Cheaper solution

Put the kids on the couch.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info. We don't like to put the kids near the front door (call us overprotective). But, I may have to if I can't find a better couch for sleeping.

Greg
Old 01-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Your problem has to do with the couch that came in the Sovereign. The seat of that couch just pulls up, pulls out, the back falls down and it makes down into a bed. Airstream installed a better couch in the Excella and Limited models. On that unit, you grab the back of the couch and pull it up and over the seat which remains stationary. The back pivots all the way over and ends up in an upside down position toward the rear of the trailer. Sleeping on that couch is generally great. As you've found, sleeping on the one you have can painful.

I occaisionally see couches for sale here on the forum's classified section. There was one listed not long ago by itself and it is possible that it might still be listed as "for sale". There was also a gentleman who was wanting to sell a complete interior. It seems to me that his couch was one of the better kind. If you can find a couch out of a Limited or an Excella, you will likely solve your problem.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

GStephens,

The couch you have described in the Excella is what I have in my Sovereign. To make the couch into a bed I pull the back rest forward and towards the rear of the trailer. It then rotates to face upwards. The seat remains stationary. I wonder how that happened? Anyway, we still don't find it comfortable to sleep on.

Greg
Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I offed my gaucho!

Yup got rid of it. 86 32' Excella flip over thing. The problem you will encounter has to do with the location of your batteries. Mine are directly below the gauco and I'm suspecting yours are located there also. These trailers are all a compromise, not much fits ergonomically nicely in my opinion. If you want a nice comfortable couch you probably will need to have it custom built or do it yourself. If you are wanting something that turns into a nice bed at night - well lotsa luck. for what its worth, I'm building my own. Good luck,

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Ahh but a never ending story, we put a comfortor down then the sheets and the kids don't complain and having tried it myself its not the bed however not that bad for short term. My wife now says 6 for coctails 4 fro dinner and two for bed. We are removing the couch bed from our 87 Excella and replaceing it with two chairs. maybe your interested?
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote