Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
'70 Overlander Land Yacht

What kind of tank is this? It is located in the bathroom cabinet. I suspect Black water? Where would the fresh water tank be located?

Oh and I found this cylindrical thing with a dip stick in the cabinet where the refrigerator is located. Any ideas what it is for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath Cab.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	127976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	127977  

rverforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
It looks like the waterheater tank.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Thanks, can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
rverforlife,

Howdy and welcome to airforums.com! As you probably already know, this is the go-to place for information on your Airstream.

By the way, Aerowood is one of the guys that really knows what's going on. You'll realize that when you've been here a bit longer. He nailed it, of course, that's your water heater. I'll guess it's the original one, since it doesn't have the foam insulation they put on the newer ones.

The "cylindrical thing with a dip stick" behind the refer (fridge) is part of the heating system that cools the interior of your refer. That part gets hot (the "dip stick") so don't touch it if the refer has been running for a while...

Your black tank is directly below your toilet, which, if it's like mine, is below the floor.

Keep asking questions, you'll figure it all out sooner or later. That's how most of us learned about them!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Thank you both! Aerowood, I hope I didn't offend you! I wasn't sure,if you were sure..lol anyhow thanks again.

Aage, so what is the name of the solution I need to add to keep the refer cold?
Old 04-24-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Is it an accumulator tank for the 12 volt fresh water system?
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
rverforlife. as stated earlier that is indeed your water heater. Your fresh water tank should be located inside the underbelly of the trailer, usually just forward of the axles. There will be a 4x5 square section of the belly surrounded by angle iron. That will be the fresh water tank.
The cooling system for the fridge is a closed system and is not field serviceable. The solution is ammonia based and not available to consumers. There are companies that can rebuild the cooling unit for your fridge, however it costs about half of the price of a new fridge so unless your cabinet is in excelllent shape and all the door seals are perfect you might want to just replace the fridge with a new one.
If your fridge is not cooling there may be other issues at the root of the problem and not the cooling unit itself. Can you smell ammonia or see a geenish yellow powder around the cooling unit? What makes you think you need to add coolant to the system?
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Refrigerator Coolant

Oh, I just thought because it is so old it would need coolant, but I haven't even gotten far enough into the project to see if the fridge even works.

Thank you for your response. I've asked many other questions but they don't appear here for some reasons, so if you get a chance look up my threads and if you can answer any of my questions, I'd be forever grateful
(whew long run on sentence)!

Have a great weekend!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I only see one post that you made where there were no answers (this one) but you have asked them all elsewhere and I think you got the answers.

If you didn't, ask them again here, OK? I think that it's always best to group your posts in one spot, makes them a lot easier for people to see.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote