Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #21

Evergreen , Colorado
Smile Getting ready to full time with my dogs as well

Good Morning I am so interested to know how it works out with the dogs? I am a 53 year old single Mom who just had her last child/adult move out. I am selling my huge house and getting an airstream to fulfill my lifelong dream. I have 3 dogs 1 is a 150b Newfie lol. I keep trying to imagine what it will be like for them coming from 8 acres in the woods. How do things go when you are at a campground? Barking an issue? Do most campgrounds allow dogs? is there a limit? Sorry for the overload of questions I have been thinking I was a bit crazy to embark on this adventure but reading your post has given me a bit of hope
I haven't bought my Airstream yet I have been stalking the classifieds for weeks. Although my Newfie is only 2 she is in need of a wheelchair so that will be another little bump to get over. I appreciate any advice you have to help the transition for my dogs a bit easier.
gypsysoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul63 View Post
Good Morning I am so interested to know how it works out with the dogs? I am a 53 year old single Mom who just had her last child/adult move out. I am selling my huge house and getting an airstream to fulfill my lifelong dream. I have 3 dogs 1 is a 150b Newfie lol. I keep trying to imagine what it will be like for them coming from 8 acres in the woods. How do things go when you are at a campground? Barking an issue? Do most campgrounds allow dogs? is there a limit? Sorry for the overload of questions I have been thinking I was a bit crazy to embark on this adventure but reading your post has given me a bit of hope
I haven't bought my Airstream yet I have been stalking the classifieds for weeks. Although my Newfie is only 2 she is in need of a wheelchair so that will be another little bump to get over. I appreciate any advice you have to help the transition for my dogs a bit easier.

IMO, bringing your dog with you can be a good idea. Just remember, every campground is just like an on-leash park. You have to be aware of your own and keep them handled. I can't stand when other people allow their dog to run free....in a campground...and bark outside...

Most campgrounds allow dogs but some have pet 'fees' and sometimes there is a limit. However, no one has harassed us about our dogs. It is best to check with the particular establishment. We keep our dogs in the trailer at all times except for when they are on leash.

If your dog is well-behaved and won't run out the door or BARK constantly, then I'll think you'll be fine.

You will find the SMALL SPACE you live in with your pets becomes even SMALLER over time.
bambibooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Hiking Near Bend, Oregon - Mr. TCP (aka BambiBooth)

If you’re considering full-timing in an Airstream or RV, or even in your car, at some point you might ask yourself “What do full-timers do all day?” At least, that is one of the questions I had. Not necessarily the, what do you do all day question – because we work full-time from the road – but more of a, what do you do when work is done?

For us, we’ve found plenty of time to do something that I love to hate. HIKING. You might think hiking is fun, as do I. However, that usually changes after about the first 15 minutes when we start climbing up the steep grades of any good ol’ hike. I often think something is wrong inside me because I’ll pass people who are gazing at the cliffs or rivers and they aren’t even out of breath. Meanwhile, I huff and puff like I’m dragging boulders and can’t even get out a quick exchange of pleasantries without it coming out as a single or few, UGH, HERG, EHH, HAGGGGG. I promise I’m just saying hello, no need to stare or be scared. I promise I am not going to fall on you, this time.

I often forget to check the name of the trail, which would be prudent, because it will usually tell you what you’re in for. To be honest, this one wasn’t that bad. It only held a few short uphill beasts that I conquered (barely) and it certainly wasn’t worthy of the name Misery Ridge. Perhaps, it has to do with the height of the peak and the chance that you could fall off the edge and break your leg. That would probably be considered misery. We even saw these little huts along the trail with crutches strapped to them.

As you wind your way up this trail, you’ll find a lot of great vantage points of the area. One of those is likely Bend, Terrebonne, or Redmond, depending on which direction you’re looking or facing. You’ll also find skilled rock climbers dangling from the walls looking over at the “hikers” with their Saloman shoes and their walking sticks, and in my head they are thinking – you enjoy your hike while I climb straight up this wall while eating a Clif bar. Hey, I have Clif bars too…

Now, I should mention that while I’m known as the heavy breather, I’m also known by a few other names. Sally, Pokey Joe, Slow Mo, Hurry UP! And, my favorite – ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE IT? – well, you get the idea. These are all names Mrs. TCP will give me on any one of our hikes. And, it’s not that I’m really slow, nor is she mean. I like to take photos and she likes to do acrobatics and wants me to hurry and be there when she springs into action.

Often, the best part of a hike is when you finally make it to the top and you’re convinced the effort was worth the view.

So, if you’re in Bend, Oregon and find yourself wanting to check out some trails and a few good views of the surrounding area, head on over to Smith Rock State Park. It’s just a few miles away.

http://www.tincanplan.com/hikes/hiking/
Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...psykowuff1.jpg

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My pack of small dogs pales in comparison to yours. They are looking good!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
We have four dogs and we are new full-timers.

They fill the trailer well.....

These four are ours, tonight and over the next few days we have one more boxer.... five...

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nothing quite so full of love as a pack of good dogs. Ours are a band of unique individuals, all rescues, that have learned to get along well.

They all really love to travel, as long as it's not to the vet. (Yes, they can tell)

Interestingly, ours do realize the Airstream is 'home' on the road. One slipped his collar and took off briefly. When he finally realized he was off leash and alone, he turned around and frantically ran back to the AS before I got there. He wanted to get back into the silver doghouse quickly.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Nothing quite so full of love as a pack of good dogs. Ours are a band of unique individuals, all rescues, that have learned to get along well.

They all really love to travel, as long as it's not to the vet. (Yes, they can tell)

Interestingly, ours do realize the Airstream is 'home' on the road. One slipped his collar and took off briefly. When he finally realized he was off leash and alone, he turned around and frantically ran back to the AS before I got there. He wanted to get back into the silver doghouse quickly.

We definitely have a pack over in this trailer!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Grinnell Glacier Trail – Glacier National Park (Mrs. TCP)

This hike takes the cake for best hike of the year. Not only were the views amazing but what we saw was even more over-the-top exciting (and terrifying)! Our last hike in glacier was the Highline Trail where we only saw one Big Horn Sheep and a couple of marmots. But this time we saw the granddaddy of all creatures!

A HUGE concern when hiking in Glacier National Park is the Grizzly Bear population. It’s always neat to see them while you are in the comfort of your vehicle but it is a whole different scenario when you come face-to-face with a Grizzly while hiking. It’s pretty much double trouble when it’s a grizzly and her cubs.

We encountered just that, a Grizzly and her two cubs. Fortunately, it was from about 400 yards away and they were distracted by their boisterous wrestling match they had going on. We’ve learned it’s always a good indicator that you’re about to come upon something worth seeing (or dangerous!) when you see a line of people stopped on the trail. That is exactly how we learned about about our big furry friends down at the lake, just having a morning bath. I have to say, it was pretty cute, from a distance.

As the bears were frolicking in the water, a ranger came behind us and let us know that we either needed to wait until they decide to come up from the water or make a move for it, now. We did just that, we hightailed it across the trail about a mile before we were able to feel our hearts settle.

Since our parents are pretty much our number one readers, I feel like I should make a disclaimer about the Grizzly Bears to ease their mind. We are very aware of how dangerous they are. Very aware. Mr. TCP even practices his bear spray techniques. We both carry bear spray and make a lot of noise. I talk A LOT and LOUDLY, well, because I just talk a lot as it is and Mr. TCP is constantly saying “HUH? WHAT DID YOU SAY?” So, I feel the need to already talk at an higher volume. After today’s hike, and reading some extreme Grizzly stories on the world wide web, I think we might hang up our hiking boots for our reminder of stay at GNP.

P.S. Most of the remaining glaciers are melting away, and I'm afraid they won't be there the next time we get to visit. Bummer.

http://www.tincanplan.com/hikes/grin...national-park/
Old 08-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Here's a quick glimpse at the Grizzlies we saw:

Old 08-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
So what was the plan all along. I see you are headed back to Austin.

Was the full timing always intended to be a long trip then back home.

What would keep you from continuing the full timing.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
PS Do you still have the Globetrotter.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
So what was the plan all along. I see you are headed back to Austin.

Was the full timing always intended to be a long trip then back home.

What would keep you from continuing the full timing.
We didn't really have a plan for our full-time adventure. Work would keep us from continuing. Right now, we both told our employers we would be out of the office completely for six months.

We shall see! And, yes I still have the Globetrotter.