Old 05-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Good video, again. Being from AZ we're used to that full but baren landscape and love Utah and it's beautiful parks and surroundings. Fell in love with Tropic and Panguitch several years ago.

We're headed to Zion in a couple of weeks for a long weekend. Kids will canyoneer and we will watch the grands. They made (last minute) reservations in a campground for their tent and our trailer.

I checked the campground reviews and they are horrible!! I didn't have the heart to tell SIL. I called the CG and they said management had changed​ and it's better now. If it's not any better than the reviews say we're going to try and Boondock on BLM. I'd rather use my lugaloo in the beautuful desert and sink bathe than use a filthy bathroom at the CG.

Looking forward to it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Good video, again. Being from AZ we're used to that full but baren landscape and love Utah and it's beautiful parks and surroundings. Fell in love with Tropic and Panguitch several years ago.

We're headed to Zion in a couple of weeks for a long weekend. Kids will canyoneer and we will watch the grands. They made (last minute) reservations in a campground for their tent and our trailer.

I checked the campground reviews and they are horrible!! I didn't have the heart to tell SIL. I called the CG and they said management had changed​ and it's better now. If it's not any better than the reviews say we're going to try and Boondock on BLM. I'd rather use my lugaloo in the beautuful desert and sink bathe than use a filthy bathroom at the CG.

Looking forward to it.
I remember only one private campground on the east side. It was not attractive, but never stayed there. On the west side there is quite a bit. Watchman is just inside the park and there are a few crowded commercial campgrounds on the east side. Watchman reservations are hard to get. You also need reservations for the others on the west side. Zion looks surrounded by private land. Not sure of BLM availability.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Lumatic, Yep it's the one on east side outside the gate (not naming it in case it's just fine).

Because they had to wait to get drawn for their Canyon back country permit the reservation was last minute and that's why we're not staying in Watchman CG (which we really like) or Springdale town amenities.

Could be just fine, we'll see. Either way the surroundings will be gorgeous and I'm taking our own cleaning supplies.

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Vince - hopefully the snow will be gone by Fall...right?

Hittenstiehl - Zion is great but it's already a zoo. We stayed a couple nights at Watchman and felt packed in. As you can guess, I'm partial to Escalante and the Grand Staircase. There's plenty of spots to boondock with privacy and the tourist slots are super fun and even a bit challenging to the non-canyoneering type. The collection basins for Escalante's slots are smaller and closer to the slots, and so one won't as easily be caught by flash floods as in Zion.

In either case, it's great to get outside.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Vince we can hear the quality of life (fun and experiences) you are having when you post.

We agree with your assessment and would favor the off season, less people and cooler temps.

This trip were going to play along with the next generation (group travel) and watch the grands in the scenario they present. Next time we'll present some options. I likely need to educate myself of the canyon possibilities in the areas you mentioned and they gladly get on board.

We'll let you know how the campground goes.

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Would anyone be interested in a night or 2 trip to The Maze (east side of Canyonlands NP). Leave Airstreams in a commercial campground outside the park, drive in with 4x4/ high clearance and tent camp. No dogs inside the park.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
We've moved down the road to Bryce Canyon National Park. I've been working in the gas station market but on our days off we get to explore the surrounding terrain with our friend and his ATV. There's a lot more than just the hoodoos...

Old 05-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Would anyone be interested in a night or 2 trip to The Maze (east side of Canyonlands NP). Leave Airstreams in a commercial campground outside the park, drive in with 4x4/ high clearance and tent camp. No dogs inside the park.
Don't forget your permit to camp there.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Where is Cottonwood Canyon and would a 4x4 pick up handle the road?
Must be this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottonwood_Canyon_Road

It's fine for pickups when dry. Usually well-maintained. Takes about two hours to drive it. But no services. Last time I drove it (about eight years ago) I was in a VW Passat. No problems, then. I might drag my AS but would call the BLM to check on it. They have a station (which issues permits for Paria Canyon hikes) near the entrance to the southern end of the road.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Quote:
I have heard of The Maze and would love to explore it some day, or at least a portion of it. My concerns would be what time of the year are you talking about, if someone already knows his or her way around the Maze, and if a 4WD Tundra can make its way on the roads. We have boondocked in the Indian Creek Recreation Area between Church and Newspaper Rocks, and explored just one day in the Needles section of Canyonlands.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
I have heard of The Maze and would love to explore it some day, or at least a portion of it. My concerns would be what time of the year are you talking about, if someone already knows his or her way around the Maze, and if a 4WD Tundra can make its way on the roads. We have boondocked in the Indian Creek Recreation Area between Church and Newspaper Rocks, and explored just one day in the Needles section of Canyonlands.
I'm thinking October. I don't want to hijack this thread so I will start a new one. Will keep you in the loop.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpeck View Post
Must be this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottonwood_Canyon_Road

It's fine for pickups when dry. Usually well-maintained. Takes about two hours to drive it. But no services. Last time I drove it (about eight years ago) I was in a VW Passat. No problems, then. I might drag my AS but would call the BLM to check on it. They have a station (which issues permits for Paria Canyon hikes) near the entrance to the southern end of the road.
That's the one...but my friend took us off Cottonwood Canyon Road on a spur road that was definitely a ATV road in several sections before reaching the bluff vista at the end of my video. I was keeping track of the mileage from the main road in case the ATV broke down and we had no cell coverage; we were 8-10 miles out and didn't see anyone else...but I figured I could hike out to get help if I had to. Still, it's a great feeling to get out there away from most everybody else.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I think I did drive it, without my Airstream. I remember in the middle of it I found a dry wash with a zillion fossilized shellfish.

I attached a photo of Coyote Buttes which is in the same area. Some serious off road to get there. I hired a guide. It's a maze back there, no map, no signs.

Also is The Wave in this area. The have a lottery for permits into The Wave. Google it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4384.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	285905  
Old 05-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #42
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I am opening Green Creek this Thursday. Will be there until October 1.

Come visit one of the jewels of the Sierra....