Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
i had the batteries/charger/solar tested and they all checked out ok... i guess i have to just get a geny for those cold boondockin nites... i think i'm gonna go for the Ef2400 trifuel... seems to be the best choice for my needs

thanks for all who have contributed to this
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #62
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
1) You need a generator

2) Sulfated batteries can be rejuvinated with EDTA. Deep cycle or RV batteries respond well to this treatment because they have thicker plates than standard car batteries.

EDTA RESTORES SULFATED BATTERIES

3) If you use a resistor to reduce power to a 12 volt device you save nothing. The resistor burns electricity to reduce power. Touch the resistor, it will become warm when you run your fan.

4) Be cautious with any non vented fuel burning heater even a catalytic heater. Leave a window open for fresh air when it is on especially when sleeping.

"Coleman catalytic heaters are an ideal, and safe, method of heating a small cabin, tent or fish house when the temperatures drop uncomfortably low. Using a 16-ounce canister of propane in combination with the heater's built-in platinum catalyst provides cost-effective, flameless, long-lasting heat without fear of dangerous carbon monoxide buildup in the enclosure. For convenience, some models come equipped with an electronic ignition for flameless startup, and some also include a small fan (battery operated) for heat distribution. Note that regardless of manufacturer's specifications, it is always important to have a source of fresh incoming air, at least six square inches, anytime a heater of any type is used in an enclosed space."
Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #63
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
Thanks guys, Ray... Great post!

Just got back from checking them up, I filled them a little higher than I read now here. Maybe half way to the top - between the ring and top... I hope it'll be ok, the voltmeter said 12.4 volts...

I did fill almost 3/8 of a gallon into the batteries... A few holes were lower than others... We shall see what will happen, I will take the baby out for a little x-mas trip...

The reason I didn't check the water till now was that the guy who installed the solar told me I'll be suprized how well the batteries and the waterlevel of them will hold up...

Lesson learned !
Well.... you WERE surprised just not in the good way.