Always tied to shore power
My '89 Excella 25-footer was purchased with sole intent to become my stationary home office/retreat. I know, it's a wonderful travel trailer. However, I have another RV for that purpose. I love my silver bullet office! I also love this forum but have been going blind searching/reading trying to find the answers to my electrical questions. My area of retardation is definitely electrical. So here goes:
When I bought "Priscilla" she already had fairly defunct batteries. Since I was going to keep her plugged into shore power I didn't worry about it. Now that I've recently yanked the gaucho out and am doing a little remodel, I've started to concern/educate myself about the Univolt and the 12/110V electrical system. Of course the hummmmmmmm of the Univolt is more pronounced now that the gaucho isn't there to help insulate. So basically do I need to:
1) Even have batteries installed, dead or otherwise?
2) Am I risking boiling the batteries and having a fire hazard?
I haven't put a volt meter on the Univolt to check output but whenever I have the 12-volt radio/cd changer playing and I start turning on more lights, the radio dies for a few seconds and then usually resumes playing. Any ideas about that? I guess I'm thinking about replacing the Univolt with something more modern. I just don't want to blow/burn myself up. Thanks for any/all imput. Sorry if there is already a thread for this. CarpetBob