Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
Squirrel blocker in 67' Caravel

Just wanted to let you know if you have this type of roof opening. I have a 67' Caravel. I had been noticing some krap on the inside of my trailer and couldn't find out what it was coming from and I knew it was too big for a mouse or a rat. By looking at it I noticed it had small yellow spots in it and figured it was maybe a squirrel since I have corn feeder in my yard for the little boogers. Well I set a trap and the next day I caught em. Heres what to look for. I figured out he was getting in on top of the roof through the large rectangular vent with the white plastic cover over it for the propane fridge vent that goes up the wall to the outside. Its probably about 4" wide x 15" long or so". I stuck my hand in there and noticed there is no screen inside and its a straight shot down inside the trailer. I cut some chicken wire oversized and stuck it down inside the vent and he's never come back. (In my pic on my profile the vent I'm talking about is the one just to the left of door and right next to the tree).........I'm just glad I caught it in time before he chewed my cushions up and made it into his own condo. Just thought I'd let you know so check yours out.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I know what I'd be having for supper tonight........Add some carrots, taters, onions, and make an example of the infidel!!!

Good information, and glad you caught him before he did any major harm.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
They're smart little buggers!

AND "yours" apparently has been bitten by the Aluminitus Bug! He's no dummy~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That was nothing short of amazing...I showed this to one of my co-workers and we both were in amazement. I'm not even that motivated to get off the couch sometimes to eat.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Thanks for your post and investigation, never thought to look at roof vents.

After po told me they had mice problems, I noticed a couple of mouse traps in the unit. When I went under to search for opening came across a mass of petrified remains with a scroungy tail, identified it by the long hairs, didn't figure wild mice or rats would have hair that long, had to use pliers to pull carcass from between gas tank and I beam, checking his teeth it is easy to see why it was able to chew casing off wires. I have hung a bag of mothball from where I took him out, up near the motor I hung a toilet bowl scented chemical, next I need to find an ultrasonic sound generator. I will check the vents tomorrow and install screens if open.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
The GT has ¼" hardware cloth under the vent and over the opening in the floor. Fortunately no varmints in the trailer.
The better half has taken to feeding the local wildlife. I come up from the basement one day to find one of my wife’s squirrels sitting on the back of the couch in the living room eating peanuts and watching TV.
If they want to get in they’re hard to stop.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Squirrels .jpg
Views:	327
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	75904  

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-Caravel View Post
Just wanted to let you know if you have this type of roof opening. I have a 67' Caravel. cushions up and made it into his own condo. Just thought I'd let you know so check yours out.
Just got off the roof, good news, sometime later than 67, AS installed the wire protection, by 2000 already mounted as part of the vent
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel