Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Carport for the Airstream

Getting ready for the Bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate Compactor.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	568.7 KB
ID:	344835  
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bricks are Down

Project is coming along
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carport Bricks.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	345791  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Very cool! Did you do the whole project your self? Also do you think the brick pavers are the same, more or less than concrete. They look much nicer than concrete.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Beautiful. And a really nice party porch too.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bricks vs Concrete

Three Huge Benefits of Bricks
(1) I like the looks of brick.
(2) When it comes time to lay down and roll around on my back to look under a vehicle, the bricks are way more comfortable than sliding around on concrete....It is weird, but sliding around on the bricks actually feels sort of good....yes that is weird!....Albeit using a creeper on concrete also has huge advantages that using Beveled bricks totally precludes using a creeper.
(1) Able to do the entire project by myself. For Concrete, I would have to hire a crew. I do not have concerns about the contractor. I have concerns about the hired laborers on property that I do not know.......One problem of having too many Tools,....Too Many Toools creates an "Attractive Nuisance." So, Bricks are slow, tedious, and time consuming, but can easily be done by one brick at a time.

Downside of Bricks:
(4) Potential for weeds.
But: on top of the packed undrelayment, I use a layer of 30# felt, a layer of 6 mil plastic, and a layer of 30# felt. The felt is to protect the plastic from the granite dust and from the bricks.....Granite Dust as the underlayment seems to pack tighter than sand.......and using granite dust between the bricks as opposed to sand also helps reduce the growth of weeds between the bricks.........20 years now with the driveway done that way, I have a few stragler weeds that try to creep up each year. but they are relatively minimal, and easy to deal with....The Plastic does a great job of blocking access to moisture below the bricks, so that has a positive impact on keeping the weeds out.

Cost Aspect:

(4) From a cost perspective, if I do not count my time, since projects are what I live for, I suspect the cost of bricks is not that different than concrete if I factor in having to hire a concrete contractor.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Thank for the explanation. Sounds like you did your homework on this. And you definitely know that it’s done right and how about the satisfaction of doing it yourself? I really like how this turned out.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
A bit of History

A bit of history on this brick project.

It all started 20 years ago when I did the driveway in brick.

But I had an assistant back then.

Now it is common to hear, "No Animals were harmed during the making of this movie."

My assistant begs to differ, "All Mice and Voles were harmed during the making of this project."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rebar Head.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	346144