Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Milwaukie , Oregon
Another Airstream cover question

Hello folks. I have a 76 Overlander that I am in the middle of doing a full monty restoration on. The finish on my Airstream is ugly and polishing the exterior is one of the last things I plan to do. I realize that it is discouraged to use a cover on Airstreams, but as I have faded, tarnished clear-coat that will eventually be stripped and polished anyways, would it really hurt to use a cover?

As it stands, I have just installed new subfloors treated with marine epoxy after treating the frame with POR15. I have not had a chance to scrape all of the old caulk from the interior to reseal all seams, and this may not be a task I complete before the rains start. I live in Portland, OR, so we get our share of rain throughout the year.

While my setup should be reasonably water resistance, I don't want to test the resilience to water if I don't have to.

Could I reasonably cover the trailer during this phase of the restoration?
JoleneAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Only downside would be any dirt/grit/other abrasives getting under the cover and the wind grinding them into the actual aluminum. But if in a non windy location that might not occur.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi JoleneAS: I see no harm in a cover considering where you are in your renovation process. I'd look for one that is on the "soft" side trying to avoid abrasion of the aluminum. Actually, my 75 Overlander has more damage to the exterior skins due to corrosion than scratches. Covering may keep the aluminum dryer.

Folks put covers on their expensive sports cars all the time.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Hey Jolene!

I'm also in PDX and came here with the same question. I also did the full shell off restore, POR-15, etc. etc. on my '61 Spaceliner. I've found snow camping up on Hood every weekend over the winter really messed up my polish job.

Sounds like fitting covers are not recommended. Maybe a temporary tarp tent?

Good luck with the rest of your project. It's been worth it all the way for us!