Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
denver , Colorado
Cool Advice on choosing an RV Storage Lot

Hi!

We're soon to be the proud owner of a new Safari 27FB SE and haven't taken delivery yet. Need some advice on selecting an RV storage lot to keep our AS. How important is covered storage? Are AS's susceptible to hail damage?

Advice for a newbie welcomed! Thanks.

Hector and Brenda
hlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Covered storage is always preferable. It keeps the UV off the trailer which will protect the plastic components and lengthen the life of the Alcoa finish on the aluminum. In addition it keeps you out of harms way when the hail comes your way. Most travel trailers, not only Airstreams can be damaged by hail.

My Classic spent the first two years of its life in outside storage. Just from that experience I have found that my A/C shroud is cracked and in need of replacement. It's now a much happier trailer spending its last two years indoors when not in use.

The other issue is consider security. Anything you can do to get to a facility that has live in management, cameras, another other security enhancements are a real plus. A lot of time some RV storage facilities are combined with storage units used for general storage purposes. That exposes your unit to a lot more "non" RV traffic which increases the exposure of your trailer to others.

In my neck of the woods, break in's seem to occur mainly with motor homes. Apparently the thieves know that they are crammed with more electronics and with more storage which tends to be packed with goodies.

I'm pretty much a bare bones guy and if someone broke into my trailer, their haul would be limited to my lawn chairs, hoses, and leveling blocks. Interior wise they would be limited to the items that came with the trailer at build time. I don't think I'm that much different from most folks which is why trailers usually are left alone.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
AND SHOP AROUND!! I found some places that would store my AS under cover but basically outside. I finally found an inside storage space but it was going to cost me $200 per month. My wife thought it a bit excessive but I thought it was probably the going rate and was about to sign up for it. We went to the spring RV show and I was talking with a representative of a storage area and he told me he had inside space available and it was only about six miles from my home - closer than anything I had seen to date. I went to check out the space and was thrilled with what I saw. Not only did they have ample inside storage but they also had certified mechanics on duty that could do any kind of work on the TT, motorhome, automobile, truck or whatever you needed to have done. And they charged me $2 per foot for inside storage!!!! I still couldn't believe the price but I signed up and paid for eleven months - thus getting the twelvth month free. Such a deal!!! Look around and don't sign up for the first thing you see.
Prodigy Brake controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlopez
Hi!

We're soon to be the proud owner of a new Safari 27FB SE and haven't taken delivery yet. Need some advice on selecting an RV storage lot to keep our AS. How important is covered storage? Are AS's susceptible to hail damage?

Advice for a newbie welcomed! Thanks.

Hector and Brenda
Covered and secured are a must. the big shiny trailer atracts attention.

Yes your trailer is susceptiable to hail damage, dent from other trailes, onwers leaning up against it. If you can get a walled off stall.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
And also make sure there isn't an overzealous owner with a tractor moving the trailers around in your absence...
Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We stored ours in a storage lot for the first year and picked the one we did because of Saftey (it was patrolled and had cameras - AND we didin't have a spot that backed up to housing), location (it was 5 minutes from home), accessibility (we could get in 24/7 with a key card) and cost ($50 a month).

Now we keep it at a campground in the summer (we're seasonal campers) and we can take it out for trips whenever the urge hits us. This allows for weekend use without having to un-store it on Friday, pull it somewhere and then re-sore it on Sunday. Additionally, this campground lets seasonal campers keep thier trailers on their lots over the winter free of charge, if the deposit for the following summer is made.

If our local zoning laws would let us keep it here, I'd buld an Air-Port for it (car-port for Airstream), but the hoity-toity zoning comission won't go for that so we had to find plan "B".

We do cover exposed plastic and rubber over the winter and we Walbernize twice a year to keep the clear-coat in good shape.

Our AS has been in hail, but it was small pea-sized and did no damage. You get one of those South Dakota thunderstorms in late August with golf-ball to soft-ball sized hail and that will definitely be another story.

Best of luck in your search and with your new baby - I'm envious of the anticipation you're feeling - I remember it well! Post here often - SHOW US PICTURES of your new baby!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Covered Storage and Hail

Even small hail can make dents as this pic shows. The curved ends are most susceptible. I wouldn't consider anything but covered storage for mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dents1.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	57018  
emdubyadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
denver , Colorado
Thanks everyone! So far my search in the denver area has been pretty discouraging in terms of covered storage - $ 400 + - ouch!!! Based on all your feedback I'd better keep looking!
hlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Bad Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I'm pretty much a bare bones guy and if someone broke into my trailer, their haul would be limited to my lawn chairs, hoses, and leveling blocks. Interior wise they would be limited to the items that came with the trailer at build time. I don't think I'm that much different from most folks which is why trailers usually are left alone.
Jack
Not to cause anyone nightmares, but it's not just the INSIDES that thieves are after.. the price of aluminum is waaaay up. We have our old girl stored at a lot where the storage unit owners live themselves.. but like Jack said, security and cameras would be very important. And a very tall fance that woudl be difficult to toss alumninum panels over.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Yes your trailer is susceptiable to hail damage, dent from other trailes, onwers leaning up against it. If you can get a walled off stall.
How about some SOB IDIOTS who let their HUGE 5th wheel tarp come loose and whip my trailer with it's grommets for two weeks before we saw it? That's why we moved her to the new people.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
$ 400 + - ouch!!!...
ouch is right!

overhead covering is more than adequate for hail.

fully enclosed parking is often by 'valet' only AND you may need to schedule getting the trailer out!

no kidding.

unless you've got connections or a friend with a warehouse/pole barn or farm...

expect to be W A Y out of denver...

then be SURE to consider fuel costs to go to-and-from the rv site.

then there is also the issue of power/batteries while in storage.

a solar panel can help and some lots offer electric connections now too...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Outskirts

Quote:
Thanks everyone! So far my search in the denver area has been pretty discouraging in terms of covered storage - $ 400 + - ouch!!! Based on all your feedback I'd better keep looking!
We pay $96 per month (including tax) in the outskirts north of Dallas. Our storage facility is 18 miles one way from our home. Anything covered and close to us was much more than we could afford. The facility we use is gated, has cameras, and staff living on-site. The cover is a very substantial steel structure. This is the best option for us right now but my wife and I hope to own a home some day where we can keep our trailer on our property.
emdubyadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
We are just finishing our first year with the 27FB and found a local agricultural organization with an enclosed building that is locked and has a concrete floor. For the 6 winter months the price is $200 ($33 per month) . They store a bunch of boats, SOB's and classic cars so I know the Stream is in good company.

It might not hurt to check with local groups that may have something similar in your area.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Fairgrounds (state, county, etc.) sometimes use their coliseums, arenas, and barns for storage of RVs and boats in the winter. Their usually inexpensive, but you may be stuck in there from fall to early spring.