Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Screeching Electric Stab Jack - HELP!!!!!!

Went to hook up and 1 inch before it was on the ball the electric lift started scratching. Is there a fix or it it totally dead?!!???? Answers quick please. We are loaded and ready to go.
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
What kind of jack is it? Parts probably can be ordered. Barker is very customer friendly. Do you have a hand crank for your jack? Worse comes to worse use another jack to jack up the toungue and pull the jack by taking out the 3 bolts that attach it to the tongue.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If I am reading this correctly, the jack is still working, but making noises. Electric jacks need to be serviced everyonce in a while. Maybe a little grease in the right places will take care of the problem. This should be covered in the jack owners manual.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Generally the jack post itself cannot be serviced and if it is old or has got water in it, it is toasted. The power head itself can usually be serviced and lubed, but once it has had the fatal screech it may be too late. So, no real answer to your question. Might be time for a new one though.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Thank you for all the responses. When it came down to it, I needed the fastest fix. Called around and Harbor Freight was the only one in my area that had an electric tongue jack in stock. Picked it up and bolted it on to get on the road. We got to our campsite, got set up, watched my USC win (though ugly), and got back on to respond. It is the slowest electric jack in the world and has lights on the side instead of where they may do some good, but it got me hooked up and it works. Not recommended unless in a pinch like me. Thanks for the responses and I will see if I can get the old one working for a backup if needed.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I was looking at the Harbor Freight electric jack, but all the reviews were so bad (1 five star and 7 one star) that I decided to pass on it. Please let us know how it works out for you. At least it seems to working enough to get help out your emergency situation.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Yeah, it technically works but it is a VERY slow motor. I have not timed it, but I think it is at least a minute from all the way up to be able to lift the tongue off the hitch. It is strong enough, but I think it will be temporary. It does have a back up hand crank so at least of the motor quits I can still raise the camper.