Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #1

2004 16' International CCD
Scituate , Massachusetts
power jack keeps blowing fuse?

My 2004 International CCD came wired with a Barker Mfg. Hi-Power 3000 jack. Each time I try to raise it the fuse blows. The light works (prior to the fuse going) and the battery is fully charged. I'm really hoping someone can offer a repair suggestion or at least tell me where I might find the hand crank. Thanks!
Jetset Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
My Ultra-Fab kept doing the same when first installed. Taking it back to the installer revealed a short in the wiring where it wasn't connected to the trailer battery properly. Can't help with the hand crank, though. It could be an actual crank you fit onto the top or it could be an attachmen used with a drill to work the jack.

BTW, welcome to the forums. Hopefully someone that knows about the manual crank will chime in.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
There's an interesting note on the first page of the installation instructions - regarding proper grounding - that may help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf high_power_3000[1].pdf (248.7 KB, 681 views)
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Our first couple of times out with our new 25' blew the same fuses, again and again. Since we were just starting (learning) we discovered we were running the jack up way too high a couple of times. Other times we started running the jack up while we
were still lugged into the TV or into the land power. Once we started making sure we
were unattached to any other power source (land or TV) we've not blown another fuse. Coincidence.....I think not! Maybe it'll work for you. Good luck. You'll learn these forums are a wealth of information - some better than others. But well worth checking on. Best wishes for happy 'streamin.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
my 09 safari was blowing fuses about two weeks ago, same thing as above, still connected to tow vehicle while jacking. Have not blown a fuse since. If you have the same setup as me you have to remove the power unit from the top of the jack to get to the manual crank, hopefully you can find your hand crank.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Being connected the a shore line or the TV should not effect the fuse capacity of the jack. Running the jack to it's limits should not effect the fuse. These jacks have an end switch and if adjusted correctly will just CLICK as the jack reaches the limit. If the fuse blows at the limit it has not been adjusted correctly.

First question. What size fuse are you blowing? Second question does the fuse blow while going up and down and before the limit or just up before the limit.

Need this info to give an indication of what to look for.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I've had two instances of the jack blowing fuses. The first time was when I had been constantly raising and lowering it to adjust the Equalizer WD hitch. I figured (hoped) I had been using it too much on a hot day.

The second time was a few days ago when we were camping and had a site on a slope. To raise the trailer enough to make sure we could level it also raised the truck off the suspension. That's when the fuse blew. The jack is rated at 3,450 lbs. and was possibly exceeding it's capacity.

Luckily I had another fuse.

It seems to me these jacks are not strong enough for the situations they may encounter—raising the trailer and truck towards the top of the jack's travel. In some situations, just to get the WD bars on or off, the tongue has to be raised as far as it can go. Now each time I raise it I am worried it will blow a fuse, or worse, just quit.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barker, crank, fuse, hi-power, jack