Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Dead battery; can't raise jack

Hi all,

I'm at a remote retreat in the texas hill country. I ran my frig for 4 days and my battery is now dead. So, I can't raise my jack to hitch up. Does anyone know if I can plug into my truck and use it's power to raise the jack?

Thanks all!
flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfishy View Post
Hi all,

I'm at a remote retreat in the texas hill country. I ran my frig for 4 days and my battery is now dead. So, I can't raise my jack to hitch up. Does anyone know if I can plug into my truck and use it's power to raise the jack?

Thanks all!
You should just be able to connect the umbilical cord to the tow vehicle, start the truck and then raise the jack. It should get 12v from the truck.

If that doesn't work, you should be able to use the emergency crank that goes into the top of the jack and crank it up.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Plugging in the trailer umbilical and running the truck should charge your battery, but it will take a long time.

My jack has a manual crack. I have to take the top cover off the jack the use it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I don't have the manual crank with me. Doh!
Hopefully connecting it to the truck will work!
Fingers crossed 🤓
Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
If the fuse for your umbilical charge line blows, spin the truck around and put jumper cables from the truck to the trailer.
I think my umbilical has a 30 amp fuse. Raising the tongue and/or hooking up weight distribution might draw more than that.
I never noticed the amp rating of the jack’s inline fuse.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Camano Island , Washington
My in line fuse is a 30 amp. had an issue with the fuse after my batteries went bad. replaced the batteries and still no power to the jack. had to bypass the fuse(thermal circuit breaker) and the jack worked fine. replaced the in line breaker and the batteries now everything is good again. If the breaker is good you should be able to raise and lower the jack with the truck plugged in.
Camano20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano20 View Post
My in line fuse is a 30 amp. had an issue with the fuse after my batteries went bad. replaced the batteries and still no power to the jack. had to bypass the fuse(thermal circuit breaker) and the jack worked fine. replaced the in line breaker and the batteries now everything is good again. If the breaker is good you should be able to raise and lower the jack with the truck plugged in.
All manual cranks are NOT created equal. I had one that would work with a rarchet wrench & socket (12 mm I think) But most have a shaft with a cross piece that locks into slots on top of the jack. For one of those a big screw driver or a quarter secured in locking pliers might work. "Girl tool kit" would suggest ckecking the silver ware drawer for suspected McGuyver fixes too.

Paula
Old 10-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks all!
Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I have a barker jack and had to use the hand crank once. The hand crank has the cotter pin that fits the jack's post drive under the top cover.

I wanted a back up so I fished around in the tool chest for a long socket...what worked was a 7/16" but it was a 12 point. Another 7/16 6- point didn't work..so try +/- of the 7/16. I keep it attached to a 6" extension (3/8 drive) where my TV's lug wrench is stored.

Good luck

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just in case a similar issue pops up, some trucks only put the power on the 7 pin when the truck is put in gear. Getting the battery up to the point the jack will work should not take a very long time. I ...errr... have practical experience ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
A couple of years ago, we stripped the gears on our jack and did not have a crank. The solution (thanks to my DW) was to use a 1" speed wood bit in an electric drill. We had to break the point of the bit off to allow it to fit in the top of the jack. We have saved the bit for future use and purchased the hand crank as well.

Good luck.
CharlieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfishy View Post
Hi all,

Thanks all!
Been there, feel your pain.

Tricks to try:

1) With late model Ford trucks you have to apply the brakes for a few seconds and maybe put the truck in gear, with the trailer connected, to turn on the trailer power circuit. Once it's on, it stays on as long as the engine is running.

2) An alternative to consider is to swap batteries between your truck and trailer. Sometimes this is less work than the other available alternatives.

3) You can try charging with jumper cables as described upthread.

4) You can raise the tongue with some other jack. If you are trying to lower the tongue, you may be able to get away with just removing the foot of the jack while the tongue is raised with some other jack.

5) You can raise the tongue with some other jack and remove the built-in jack as an alternative to lowering it. It is held on by only 3 bolts.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
If you have to take the head off a Barker jack to use the manual crank, be sure to follow the timing procedure when you put the jack head back on. It has to be set up so that the limit switches stop the motor before the jack reaches the mechanical stops--otherwise the gears will strip.

You can download the instructions if you don't have them.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Or, take the trailer battery out and charge it with your truck running and jumper cables while you have breakfast.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Connect the umbilical and try it. If the battery is not fully flat, it should work; mine always did.
If the house battery is drawing down the truck supply, then you may have to simply disconnect one terminal of the house battery and feed the jack through the umbilical. If you have jumper cables then pull the House battery out of its enclosure and mainline the truck battery directly onto the house battery. This is also the fastest way to charge a dead house battery, because you can get so many amps through the Jumpers
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
Plug your truck in leave it running and go on with your life
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
I have a barker jack and had to use the hand crank once. The hand crank has the cotter pin that fits the jack's post drive under the top cover.
The switch on my barker jack stopped working on my way to Glacier NP. That's when I discovered that I didn't get a manual crank with my camper...

Fortunately, I figured out that the jack handle that came with my Toyota pickup truck was EXACTLY the perfect fit for the barker jack! So if you or anyone near you has a Toyota vehicle, there's a good chance you'll be able to use their jack handle and be on your way.

Glenn
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn T View Post
The switch on my barker jack stopped working on my way to Glacier NP. That's when I discovered that I didn't get a manual crank with my camper...

Fortunately, I figured out that the jack handle that came with my Toyota pickup truck was EXACTLY the perfect fit for the barker jack! So if you or anyone near you has a Toyota vehicle, there's a good chance you'll be able to use their jack handle and be on your way.

Glenn
Glenn, Well, I'll be. I've never even had the jack handle out yet, so I'll have to check this out. Thanks

bob
Old 10-28-2017, 11:43 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Just a thought to look into a NOCO Genius Boost with lithium batteries. This little pup packs a wallop for all sorts of dead battery scenarios. Hook the NOCO straight up to one of the trailer batteries like jump starting a car. Voila!

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Glenn, Well, I'll be. I've never even had the jack handle out yet, so I'll have to check this out. Thanks

bob

Didn't pull it all out but it looks different on mine. However the jack head is the same size as the drive end of a 3/8" ratchet which is what I used when I was looking for a deep socket to fit.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277 (Medium).JPG
Views:	343
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	297944