Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Jack lowers but will not raise trailer-help!

I have a 2 year old Barker 3000 power jack that operates to lower the trailer but will not raise it. The problem developed after a heavy rain storm, and there was water under the cover. Since the motor works fine in one direction but not the other, I believe the motor is ok and that the problem might be either the switch or a fuse. I tried to figure out how to bypass the switch but was not successful. The paperwork for the power jack mentioned that it has a built in fuse. Does anyone know if there are built in fuses for both the up and down switch - and if so, where they are located? I am familiar with some types of fuses such as in automobiles, houses, and some old types of in-line fuses but other than those I'm lost.
Any help at all would be much appreciated. I'm getting tired of hand cranking.

Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Bad Jack

According to the web site there are two limit switches. Common sence says that one limit switch is for when you reach max tongue up and the other one is for when you reach max tongue down. What they do is remove power from the motor to prevent stripping any teeth from the drive gears whick I'll bet are plastic. Then you have the switch. Probally a three position no-off-on spring loaded to the center. you said that there was water under the cover. Was the jack jun all the way down and left there when the rains came? If so propally the up limit switch is stuck open. The other option is that the direction switch (part number 736-0005) is bad. I saw no fuse on the schematic on their web site. You need a good teck near to you to look at the jack to determine what component is bad. If the motor runs in one direction but not the other chances are that it is good.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I disassembled my new Barker when I was color-matching the paint for the tongue of my Argosy.
The up/down switch is two springs and a double set of copper coated contacts. If you wanted to try something quick to eliminate the switch for the equation you can unscrew the top cover and remove the wires from the switch, write down where the wires are connected. Take an Ohmmeter or continuity tester and check the switch. Rock it back and forth and see if there are two paths for current. If you only get one path then the switch is not making contact. If you get no path then you are not testing the right set of wire connectors.
This is one way to rule out the switch.
Was there any moisture inside the motor assembly?
Was this the first time it had been exposed to rain?
All pretty stupid sounding questions, but they do have some merit.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Beginner for taking the time to look up information on the web site. You are not unlike most of the members on this forum who go out of their way to help someone. I am not sure how those up and down limit switches work but I guess it is possible one is defective. No, I didn't have the trailer raised to the limit of the jack when it stopped working. In fact, I have never raised or lowered the jack as far as it will go. I was parked in a campsite for a few days and when I hooked up to leave the jack would not raise for me to get the ball under the hitch. I think the water had something to do with the problem.
I emailed tech support at Barker and asked if they knew what parts might cause the problem but did not get a response. I hate to use the trial and error method and buy parts that I don't need. I figured that someone on the forum had run into a similar problem and might have a suggestion.
My old jack that came with my unit was sounding a little noisy and that is why I bought the new one a couple of years ago. I couldn't use parts from the old one because it is made by a different company. I put the old one back on so I don't have to be in a big hurry to fix the new one.
Thanks again for your help.
Wayne
Old 04-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Lou. Your suggestion on how to check the switch should work. I was using an ohm meter without disconnecting the wires from the switch and kept blowing the main fuse. I have been using the jack for a couple of years and it has been in the rain many times without giving a problem. I did not go beyond taking the outside cover off to see if water got to the motor but I don't think it could have. There are an awful lot of wires and other unknown gadgets that look like some kind of fuses on top of this jack that are not on my old H&H.
Wayne
Old 05-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Good News!

Barker technical service responded to my email and said that a micro switch was bad. They sent 2 replacements by UPS at no charge. When I removed the bad switch there was black stuff under it. Apparently the water caused a short. "Beginner" was right in suggesting that a limit switch might be bad.
Thanks to everyone who replied. If I have more trouble with the jack I will know a lot more about how to troubleshoot the problem.
I am very pleased with the service Barker Jack provided. It tells a lot about a company when they send repair parts without sending a bill.
Wayne