Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Atwood Premier Performance Series Power Jack w/ Robofoot

My 2008 Classic 25fb originally came with a Barker Superjack. After accidentally damaging it when I accidentally left the hitch out of my Equalizer head and the trailer disconnect while slowly making a turn in my neighborhood, I purchased another Superjack. Out of the box it was making funny noises and sent it back to Barker for warranty. The one the came back seemed normal at first then started to develop a noises as it retracted. I should've sent it back during winter but figured I'd save the shipping costs for a different jack. So after a couple of seasons the noise seemed to be getting worse. Rather than take a chance on a repaired unit I decided to purchase the Atwood Premium 4000lb jack similar to what comes on the new Airstreams.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac...d/AT81069.html

Easy to install as its a one wire connection like the Barker. One nice feature over the old design Barker is the emergency hand crank connection point is at the front of the housing and you don't have to remove the power head like the Superjack. The Atwood comes with a Robofoot, a folding extension that works well and tucks up behind and is no lower than the battery box. Now I don't have to worry about putting the removable foot like the Barker. There is also a small bubble level on the top of the cover.

I spliced the wire to the original wire and wrapped the excess around the tube. My Barker wire is in a loom that runs into the trailer and connects to the positive battery box. Somewhere in that loom is the fuse so now I've got two fuses on the circuit.

The Atwood is longer than the Barker but it clears the propane tank cover without touching it and I'm still able to lower the tail gate of my truck when connected.

While I had the jack off I removed the propane tanks and decides to clean off the rust spots with a wire wheel on my power drill and respray the A frame with matching paint purchased from Out of Doors Mart. The spray can makes it easy and is a perfect match. The paint set up fast and was able to cover the bare metal spots with several passing coats.

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	268024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1905.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	268025  

Name:	IMG_1906.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	268026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1907.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	268027  

Name:	IMG_1908.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	268028  
Old 07-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, looks like a nice tongue jack. After ten years of use, I had to replace my Barker. Mine stripped a gear and I wasn't able to fix it until I got home from my trip; So I had to buy another tongue jack in New York. I would like to open my tailgate, but will more than likely have to buy a longer shank for my hitch. I think a 2" longer shank would do it, but the longer shank is 6"s longer. This means that I would have to cut a re-drill the new shank for a proper fit. For now, I will just leave it as is. Let us know how the Robofoot works out for you.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The instructions state if the Robofoot can't retract fully due to ground clearance it can support the trailer when its at a 90 degree angle to the shaft when supported by a wood block or plank. I was wondering about those scenarios but Atwood seems to have thought of that.

Kelvin
Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Does your new 4000 lb jack inter fear with the load bars?
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
No, Before I took the photos I had the trailer connected with the Equalizer since I didn't have an jack stands. Once I got the jack installed to test I raised to remove the bars and still hitched up I taped off the front of the trailer with newspaper and covered the back of the truck to paint the A frame. I screwed in the mounting bolts prior to painting to keep bare metal in contact with the jack when installed. I used the supplied star washer on one of the bolts.

One thing that I like about the Robofoot is when you are jacking up the angle between the foot and the shaft adjusts so the foot pad is even on the ground. With my old setup I had a removable foot that was the same angle of the shaft at extreme extentsions or retractions. I guess the weak point might be the pin that goes throught the shaft and the cotter pin. That will be something to check every time hitching up.

Kelvin