Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Elec. jack footpad

Newbie here to towing and need some advice. I just bought a 2014 19 FC about 8 weeks ago. We have been on the road since and was just at the factory for a minor repair and plant tour. We hitched up as normal and about 40 mi. Away my wife heard a small thud or bump. Initial inspection nothing. Upon arrival at our CG I started to lower the Jack and discovered the footpad of the Jack was missing. I thought it was welded on.
Can this be replaced? If it is replaceable can it be welded on or pinned somehow to the shaft so not to be lost again? Where do you get a replacement? Help please.
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The foot on my 2001 Safari 25 attached with a pin through a hole in the jack tube. There was no hole (and no foot) on my 2002 Classic 30 Slideout when I picked it up. Does your tube have the hole? If not, you can drill one. Most feet have a crimp about an inch down from the top. Put the foot on and lower the jack enough to hold it in place and match drill the tube to the foot. As an alternative, you can just pick the foot up and stow it as a part of your packing up routine. The label on my tall foot said to remove it before towing, and I do.

I needed a foot for my Classic and ordered one from Amazon. You can probably get one any place that carries trailer stuff. Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, Ace Hardware, maybe even Lowes or Wal-mart.

Measure the diameter of your tube to be sure.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
If you have to replace your jack footpad you might want to consider this device. I have not used it personally but others have and I'm considering getting one for convenience.

Wishing happy and safe travels!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That foot should be bolted on. If all that happened was the bolt coming loose, and falling off, it should be an easy fix.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Orange County , New York
Mine has no pin and no holes in the lift tube, it just sits in the crimped area in the foot. The product Hans linked would solve your problem, it's on my list as well. Unless you want strictly original looking equipment, it's a pretty convenient device.
Williker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
Newbie here to towing and need some advice. I just bought a 2014 19 FC about 8 weeks ago. We have been on the road since and was just at the factory for a minor repair and plant tour. We hitched up as normal and about 40 mi. Away my wife heard a small thud or bump. Initial inspection nothing. Upon arrival at our CG I started to lower the Jack and discovered the footpad of the Jack was missing. I thought it was welded on.
Can this be replaced? If it is replaceable can it be welded on or pinned somehow to the shaft so not to be lost again? Where do you get a replacement? Help please.
Welcome to the forum!

CruzinDux had a similar problem with his 2014 FC20. See Posts #921 and #1004 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rs-127845.html

Click on ">" arrow in quote to go to that post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
update post 921.....[ Tongue Jack: The dealer determined that the jack gears jammed due to it bottoming out. Note on the last trip I lost the post plate passing by Camp Roberts…wow, what was that cathunkthunkthunk? Seems on our ’14 the plate is compressed on & not secured by a lynch pin.
. . .
Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mine was screwed/bolted on. After having it fall off twice I finally gave up. Been using a couple of blocks of treated wood as a base. I had the flip jack on my Bambi II. Liked it and have been considering getting another.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Mine came loose with no bolt hole as installed.

If the foot was fastened on it would interfere with my WD bars. I stash it in the TV when not in use. Never been an issue.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Mine came loose with no bolt hole as installed.

If the foot was fastened on it would interfere with my WD bars. I stash it in the TV when not in use. Never been an issue.

This.

I don't want mine attached. I use it when I set up camp and then put it back in the back of my truck when we hook up. I don't want it getting in the way of things. I do know you can buy these at our local Airstream dealer.

You can buy a new fangled device or you can drill and bolt yours on. The choice is yours. I choose not to do either and remain solidly in the KISS camp.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
To elaborate a bit. I have a ProPride setup. The WD bars stay on the AS.

There is little clearance between the jack tube and the WD bars on a good day. I have had to use a block of wood to put the jack post on when hitching or unhitching at extreme angles because the foot is tall and is a pita to install under those circumstances.

It's just a lot easier to stash the foot in the box o'stuff in the back of the TV that I use to carry the wrenches, water hoses, shore power cables, etc when we are traveling.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have had several over the years and all had some issue, the factory foot sticks on, the plastic one bent over from tongue weight, the sideways adjustable one sank into the ground, the screw-on plate sometimes would not clear the w.d. bars.

We now use a block of wood, no issues.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Regarding the use of a pin, one with the spring wire retainer that goes around the post and over the end of the pin, or a "FastPin", i.e. one with the ball detent, should retain the pin. If bolted use a locknut. Or use a block of wood. Or take it off each time you pack up. I have done all of the above at one time or another. Up to you.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
If you have to replace your jack footpad you might want to consider this device. I have not used it personally but others have and I'm considering getting one for convenience.

Wishing happy and safe travels!
I've used it and it's pretty much useless. I can count on one finger how many times I've used it in over a hundred camp sites. It gets in the way of the Hensley bars sometimes and I can't lower the jack down. Then I have to drive forward again and straighten the hitch out in order to lower the jack. More of a gimmick than anything else. A block of wood it much more useful.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Also aluminum jack stand is being produced and it comes in short and tall. There is a thread about them. They are very handy but just remember to pick up or they are lost. I like them much better than flimsy foot and more stable.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This one is made of plastic, similar to what you are referencing? I had one, it split and fell apart with the weight of the trailer on it. Thankfully no damage was done.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44635-T...gue+jack+stand

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Found your reference , post #25
Any idea where to buy these?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...-127777-2.html

Old 07-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchie View Post

Munchie, I had the same problem. On our maiden voyage ours dropped off on Hwy 101 at Camp Roberts. I heard it but just thought I had hit something....but the undercarriage looked fine.

If you have a Barker...see attached image of new jack head, mine is new as replaced by Barker. If you have a Barker, there is a bolt on the bottom that takes a 3/4" socket. IIt never occurred to me that I needed to check it or even that it was there. That bolt is now part of my torque procedure each hitch up. I would NOT replace it with anything else.

I originally opted to go with an after market plate and a pin as I didn't want to wait for a new one from JC, but IMO, the higher collar gets in the way of the way it is synchronized and controls the auto shutoff. I just didn't realize this at first. Being used to and expecting the auto shutoff to work, I jamming the post twice....crank useless. After talking to Barker who first suggest it be re-synchronized, they finally shipped a new head and tossed in a new shoe. The dealer installed and I presume re-synchronized it...all under warranty. I'm stopping short just in case.

Since ours is still under warranty (2014 bought new in 2015) I opted get back to OEM although the dealer did offer the swing arm option listed above.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8664 (Small).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	267576  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Thanks everyone. I get the picture and I'm not going to fret over it.
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote