Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Window frame sealant?

I removed all the windows from a 1958 Traveler 18'. The original sealant was butyl tape. What would be the proper sealant replacement instead of the butyl tape?

Since the window frames are all riveted, I only want to do this once. I have used a PL roof flashing sealant on other (non-airstream) trailers to seal the edge moldings, and happy with the outcome. The only draw back is that it only comes in a black color.

This is my first Airstream project, and wanted to learn what everyone else uses. Is the TremPro 635 that Vintage Trailer Supply sells used for window frame sealants?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
At Fastenal they sell Trempro 626. Trempro 626 is the original "vulkem" recipe. It comes in aluminum color and I highly recommend it for the application you are using it. The excess cleans off with WD40 and a clean rag. It is doubtful it will be in stock, but usually they have it the next day.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Is the older TremPro 626 mix a better solution for sealing, or is it because of the color gray? Just wondering why it's preferred over the TremPro 635.

It's been years since I squeezed out a tube of TremPro, but wasn't sure what I was doing back then. Still have an old tube of TremPro (Gray 5038422-5043945-E306-MAME-C), and recall that it was a soft spongy consistency when it dried.

Just to reiterate that I am mating the window frames to the exterior window openings. If only Loctite PL came in a gray color is what I would use. The gray that is in their product line matches a stucco/concrete and has little grains of grit in it. Fastenal is just down the street.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's another product you might consider. This was recommended to me after I went looking for a replacement for Vulkem I used about 3 years ago around the windows, etc.. The trailer sits outside and the Vulkem is already starting to crack and craze. This is available from commercial sealant dealers. It comes in something like 16 colors including grays and anodized aluminum. Google search sealants in your area if you interested. Good luck with your project.
DymonicŪ FC - Tremco Commercial Sealants & Waterproofing
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The 626 is "texturized", it has a bit of body to it. The 635 is smoother. I use the 626 because it was the original Airstream choice, it is very close in color to the aluminum, it dries very slowly, and it remains very pliable just about for ever. It is my preference and others like the non texturized 635. Some like the sikaflex version too. The point is to use a very good quality polyurethane sealant. Home depot and Lowes do not carry high quality sealants in my opinion. With the 626 I am always assured a perfect bond and that once set, it is there for just about ever.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote