Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
MICHIGAMME , Michigan
New member trying to figure out a few things

Ok guys I found a thread about this and now cant so I will ask it again. Thanks in advance.

We bought our first Airstream a 64 Overlander and was cleaning it and happened to find the floor rotten in front of the door. I need to change the weather stripping and gasket around the door for sure. Can you tell me where to buy it? And where do I find 1/4 inch plywood?

I always wanted a Airstream and would like to get the most needed problems fixed while I take my time deciding how to move on with this thing..as in Restore or total redo.

Thanks Again...Toni
Toni64Yat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi Toni,

Welcome to Airforums and congrats in the O-Lander. Is this the thread you reference?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f154...ion-93365.html

1/4" plywood is available at most any DIY store. Do intend to overlay the damaged area, or remove and replace? As for the weatherstrip some of our vintage owners should be able to advise you but I suspect VTS, IRV, or ODMRV could help you with this.

Here are the links to their sites.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com

http://www.inlandrv.com/

http://www.odmrv.com

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Toni,

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your first Airstream!

Airstream parts can be found at a local dealer if there is one close to you, or online at:

InLand RV: Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

Out of Doors Mart: Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Vintage Trailer Supply: http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/

We use all three of these suppliers quite a bit, and are pleased with all of them and their customer service.

Why do you want 1/4" plywood? The floor in your trailer is probably 3/4", 13/16", or 5/8" thick. But no matter, plywood can be found at a local lumber store or one of the big name lumber yards like Menards, Home Depot, or Lowe's.

Good luck on your project! If you post pictures, we can help you with problems you run into. Plus, we all like pictures!!!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno
Hi Toni,

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your first Airstream!

Airstream parts can be found at a local dealer if there is one close to you, or online at:

InLand RV: Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

Out of Doors Mart: Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Vintage Trailer Supply: http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/

We use all three of these suppliers quite a bit, and are pleased with all of them and their customer service.

Why do you want 1/4" plywood? The floor in your trailer is probably 3/4", 13/16", or 5/8" thick. But no matter, plywood can be found at a local lumber store or one of the big name lumber yards like Menards, Home Depot, or Lowe's.

Good luck on your project! If you post pictures, we can help you with problems you run into. Plus, we all like pictures!!!

Chris
Jinx Chris! Toni, I will also add that Chris and Kaye are in the middle of a full-on resto/reno of their rig. Though it is of a differing era, their thread may be a good info source for you.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...urb-50967.html

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey Kevin - great minds think alike! Thanks for the plug too.

Chris
Old 08-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
MICHIGAMME , Michigan
Wow you are all so great. It is a lot to absorb so I will be taking this slow. Thanks again you are so kind to help. Toni
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums, fellow 60's overlander owner...

Lots of reading for you to do...

Start here...

Overlander - Airstream Forums

We look forward to particpating in your journey (with lots of photos...)
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
MICHIGAMME , Michigan
I dont know why but the piece of plywood Under the door trip was a 1/4 inch but the rest is 3/4...we did a little repair for now and will have to worry about the seal first. Do I have to buy vintage? Can I get it at the local RV store. We dont have a Airstream store in the UP of Michigan but will order if I have to. I have really enjoyed all your posts and wandering around this site. The gasket between the door in the door is part gone so I am sure that is where the water is coming in . I will post some photos soon but I am sure you know what I am talking about. The other door trim is bad too. I looked on the sites you recommended and did not see what I needed. I will keep looking though.

I am so excited about this Airstream and am happy you are all out there to throw stuff around with. Is there anything that could make us sick or be unhealthy in this airstream..I have washed it down on the inside but we have not checked out the water tank etc.

Thanks again...Toni
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Make sure all of the gas appliances are thoroughly checked out. Furnace, cooktop and oven along with the water heater and refer. Old furnaces can be dangerous, in both the fire hazard and CO emissions. Make sure the refer vents properly. Mud Daubers make nests in the furnace intake and exhaust vents. They need to be properly screened. Also make sure the battery box is vented properly if the battery(s) is located inside.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We used a D gasket on our door, windows, and hatches. Clean off the old gasket, and apply the new D gasket using gasket adhesive to make sure it never comes off again. Don't just rely on the adhesive on the gasket. It's available from InLand RV and Out of Doors mart:

D gasket:
Gasket D Seal 381665 [381665] - $0.89 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Adhesive:
3M Gasket Adhesive 5oz- Black 08008 [5113508008] - $12.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

You can call InLand (or OoD Mart) and order it. Either place can help you figure out exactly how much you need. I'm not sure if the same gasket can be used on the door in a door though. But either place can help answer that question too.

Chris
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Door seals

Use new D gasket material where ever possible as the new gasket is a silicone product and will last much longer than the old (original) rubber gaskets. Andy Rogozinsky @ InlandRV will be the best resource for information regarding your era Airstream as he was a company troubleshooter for Airstream for years in the 60's and owns InlandRV in California. You can get their phone number off the website. If his customer service folks don't know what you need he will! Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote