Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
What is this hole on my street side front exterior?

In not sure where to post this, mainly because I am not sure what this is. But it's causing a leak so I figure here would be as good a place as any.

This hole has some sort of rubber piece that sticks onto the outside shell if my 1977 Tradewind. It has two wires connected to it that I can see from inside of the hole.

On the interior this is where my radio sits...so my best guess is that this has something to do with the antenna? But from the pictures I've seen the radio antenna sits on the front of the trailer frame so I'm not sure.

There was originally a plastic cover over this rubber piece that covered the hole entirely. But that plastic piece has disintegrated and is no longer covering the hole.

The hole itself is towards the front of the camper on the street side right under the front corner of the window.

What is this piece? Depending on what it is I will either replace it or just put a piece of aluminum on top and rivet it into place and then seal it up. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-217943843.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	186109   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1476213422.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	464.5 KB
ID:	186110  

ajcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcannon View Post
In not sure where to post this, mainly because I am not sure what this is. But it's causing a leak so I figure here would be as good a place as any.

This hole has some sort of rubber piece that sticks onto the outside shell if my 1977 Tradewind. It has two wires connected to it that I can see from inside of the hole.

On the interior this is where my radio sits...so my best guess is that this has something to do with the antenna? But from the pictures I've seen the radio antenna sits on the front of the trailer frame so I'm not sure.

There was originally a plastic cover over this rubber piece that covered the hole entirely. But that plastic piece has disintegrated and is no longer covering the hole.

The hole itself is towards the front of the camper on the street side right under the front corner of the window.

What is this piece? Depending on what it is I will either replace it or just put a piece of aluminum on top and rivet it into place and then seal it up. Thanks!
That was for the 70's a high tech piece of equipment. what was mounted there as a small devise that had 2 small led type red lights with a fiber optic cable that ran all the way back to your tails lights and turn signals. When you put on the turn signal one of the red lights would blink, top one for left and bottom one for right. When you put on your brakes they both came on solid. There was a cover that overlapped and yo could see the lights from your drivers side rear view mirror. This is still on my 1976 31' Sovereign and still works.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...his-26254.html

Here is another thread about the fiber optic indicator

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote