Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Gene is this the same problem you had when you were in Alaska?
If so, did you remove all the sealant you applied on the window frame while on the road? Maybe your seal job was holding it's own?
I haven't removed the black Sikaflex (still don't know why I have black except that maybe they sent the wrong one instead of grey) and am not looking forward to it. I have no idea why it stopped leaking. Could hotter temps cause the Sikaflex to expand or run slightly and seal a pinhole? I doubt it. Could the aluminum expand enough to close a pinhole? It may be we are now further from the magnetic poles or that rain evaporates quicker in this dry climate (do not ask me to explain this sentence as it is the product of an unhinged mind).

I haven't looked into how to remove the Sikaflex and am concerned I'll just create more leaks. The area cannot be seen unless you open the rock guards, so I don't care what it looks like. When I get the new sealer, I'll start another coat and eventually the black will be the filling in a sealant sandwich.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Well, something happened, so you may not be so unhinged as you think.
Although, a leak of any kind can cause a person to go off the deep end and it might just be a matter of time. We'll have to keep a close eye on you.
Hope the combination (sandwich) does the trick!

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Gene - I was told just today by an AS tech that removing Sikaflex was a real serious pain, in that it makes one heck of an adheasive seal. Please do let us know how your experience turns out.
I love that old time rock & roll.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Gene, did you get this problem straightened out? I'm considering purchasing an 07 Safari SE LS FB 25'. The owner is bringing it from TX to OH for me to inspect and decide next week. He is positive I'll love it and purchase.
Liz, Brian and 3 Yorkies

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I never have removed the black Sikaflex, but the leak hasn't returned, and no one can see it, so all is well.

Palm', something may leak on the Safari you are interested in, and if it doesn't leak now, it will sometime, somewhere. Get out the garden hose and spray it down and look for leaks.

Check around the awning arm supports (4 of them) to see if they have been re-sealed. If they haven't, you may have a leak under the vinyl and/or carpet because they leak easily. Look for water tracks in the dust on the inner walls (fairly easy to see if you have the aluminum interior) including in the cabinets and behind drawers. Look for cracks in the skylight and around the fan housing. Walk around everywhere to check on soft spots in the floor.

Maybe someone near you will inspect the trailer so you won't be overwhelmed. This is the nicest guy in the world to bring the trailer to you, or he has reason to really, really want to get rid of it. Check it over thoroughly. Make sure he has a valid title and registration. If he said where he lives, Google him and the address and confirm it. Sorry to be so distrustful, but Airstreams do get stolen. Check his ID against the documents and run a check on the plate number when he arrives.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote