Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Amherst , New Hampshire
What is the best way to seal the hole for the wires (battery and 7pin)?

The gasket around the hole where the battery cables and 7pin hitch wires come in is shot. I was finding little sugar ants coming in and I found some mouse droppings in the front near there. What's the best way to close that up to keep the unwanted critters out?
Lgebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

RTV silicone from the big box store works pretty well. The caulk or the glue both work pretty well. Indeed the fancy sealants designed for caulking the roof also would do a good job.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One important note left out above .... if you go the RTV route, get the stuff that is compatible with aluminum. It's a bit harder to find than the normal stuff. It only matters if you get it on the shell. If you are pugging things from the inside and only dealing with plywood, maybe not an issue.

Bob
Old 06-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I would put some Terro ant killer drops and something for the mice if that is still a concern. Keep out of reach of kids and animals of course. I've found the Terro works really well with ants.
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Amherst , New Hampshire
Thanks, I'll pick some RTV up. I think it'll just be on plywood if I use it on the inside, but I'll see if I can find some that's aluminum compatible.

I've already put some Terro down and it seems to have eliminated the ants.
Lgebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One important note left out above .... if you go the RTV route, get the stuff that is compatible with aluminum. It's a bit harder to find than the normal stuff. It only matters if you get it on the shell. If you are plugging things from the inside and only dealing with plywood, maybe not an issue.

Bob
Very true, many on this forum don't know this and complain about anyone suggesting the use of silicone sealant on an Airstream.

Silicone RTV for gutters and flashing is normally compatible with aluminum and easy to find.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Very true, many on this forum don't know this and complain about anyone suggesting the use of silicone sealant on an Airstream.

Silicone RTV for gutters and flashing is normally compatible with aluminum and easy to find.
Hi

The same "acetic acid while curing" problem with normal RTV also complicates it's use in electronics. The electronic grade RTV also is compatible with aluminum. The gutter stuff from the big box store is *way* cheaper ....

I don't know that there really *is* a way to plug up things tight enough to keep out ants. I use the bait gizmos for them. I think that you probably *can* plug up to keep the mice out. The issue there is finding all the holes ( hint: check by the water pump / drains ... bring *lots* of caulk ... and plywood ... and 2x4's ... ).

Bob
Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use Parabond (Vulcum) for sealing almost everything on the trailer. It always works and stays in place well. Seems to last longer than anything else. The only down side is that you pretty much can not save part of the tube so it costs about $10 each time you fill something. But darn well worth it in terms of performance.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote