Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
Leak! Yikes! any ideas?

In dry weather (after rain) we now have two puddles forming on our driveway. They are located at the back and front of the trailer. If you look up above the puddle, there is a definite water dripping from the undercarriage, at the spot where the bottom edge of the trailer (kinda a bumper) meets up with the flat bottom of the trailer, above 5 inches in from the edge of the trailer.

The three pictures are as follows:

First is the picture of the puddle at the front of the trailer

Second is a picture taken of the undercarriage directly above the puddle - the black swoop that comes from the right edge of the picture is the edge of the bumper piece where the water is pooling and dripping slowly off.

Third is the back of the trailer where we have a similar puddle with the same situation.

We haven't used the trailer in several days. We noticed this before our last trip. The inside of the trailer as best we can see is dry. To me, it appears there is a leak somewhere in the trailer below the linoleum that is going out the trailer at these points.

Any ideas of what might be leaking that isn't obvious? Our dealer is a 6+ hr. ride away so obviously we'd love to find this ourselves!!

Thanks for any and all help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	46868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underfront.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	46869  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	46870  
FOILED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I suspect these are temporary "leaks." You probably drove home in the same rain from the BB Bash as the rest of us. Road spray finds its way through seams in the underbelly and, depending on how the trailer is sitting, may take a long time to drip out or evaporate. Put a pan under each drip to be sure the leak is not coming from a holding tank (add a little extra "blue stuff" to the tanks for the detective work.) Of course, if you wait a little while, it will rain again and the leaks won't be obvious! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Chantilly , Virginia
I think it could be 2 things. First Maybe the AC condensate line drains to these locations, But it would normally be only directly in line with the Ac Units, not 3 places, and you would have to be running the AC as well.
THe other is that you have a leak in one of the pressure or drain lines of the plumbing.
Is the water pressure Hooked up?
Also is it the 2008 safari your profile says?
Also if it has been cool at night and warm during the day it may be that condensation is forming on the inside of the skin and it drips down when it heats up.
Cheers, Peace and Happy Trails!
PeterKnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Sorry you are having a problem regarding possible leaks. I have not noticed water dripping from the curbside two areas on my trailer that you describe here. You said you have noticed this dripping after a rain on two separate occasions. Darol Ingall’s response might be the case. It could be that water accumulates in some areas of your undercarriage during a rain, and slowly drips out the two areas that you pointed out.

(BTW, your AC water drainage tube drips water in the street-side wheel-well just forward on your street-side front tire, if it is like my 2007 23' model, when the AC is running.)

We get a lot less rain down here in San Diego. You might want to contact other Airstream owners in your area who might have more experience with rain related "leaks".

It seems to me that if water is accumulating in the undercarriage of the trailer during a rain, it would be good to try to find out where rain water is entering the trailer. I suggest that you try running water from a garden hose onto your trailer, starting from the bottom-most side area and slowly working your way up in increments until you see water dripping from the undercarriage areas that are a concern to you. You might then be able to locate an exterior seam that might need caulking.

If this "leak" is not a major problem, you might put it on your list along with other items for the dealer to check and/or repair. And when you have enough items (within the two year warranty period) to make it worthwhile, make the 6 hr. drive to the dealer and have this checked.

BTW, you can have this warranty work done by any Airstream Authorized service center… it doesn’t have to be the same dealer that sold you the trailer.

Good luck… I will continue to follow your concern with interest… Please keep us posted on this matter and the final outcome.

SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
That first photo sure looks like a dog peed on the stabilizer...
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
Have you guys been talking with my husband? At the moment, he believes its either condensation or road water and is not particularly concerned . . .

Silvergate - Grant sat down yesterday and read through the whole Silvergate is Home at Last post and then went through the whole trailer and checked for leaks (of which we found none). Even caulked the shower a bit so many thanks for the inspiration - we both agree its WONDERFUL to have your expertise and passion on our particular model. He also now is thinking about solar . . . and a few BBQ recipes!!

Thanks again for all the ideas !! We are going on one more trip before Oscar is stored for the winter so we'll keep you posted!

Kathy
FOILED
FOILED is offline   Reply With Quote