Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2006, 02:01 AM   #1
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Leak Test Using compressed Air

Hi,

Has anyone done a leak test with the new pressurized systems? Camping world down the street has this new leak testing system.

This is the new gadget that forces air into the unit via one of the top vents. Then they spray the outside with soapy water and look for air bubbles.

Any concern on popping seals or using the wrong type of soap?
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Leak test

Hi, I had a leak in the bedroom area and the dealer used this system to find it and the repair has held up. I haven't noticed any other problems. I love this system because the old way you were just quessing as to where the leak may be.
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandcarla
Hi, I had a leak in the bedroom area and the dealer used this system to find it and the repair has held up. I haven't noticed any other problems. I love this system because the old way you were just quessing as to where the leak may be.
which dealer did you go to for this service? Is it expensive to have it done?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
They have been using a system similar to this for several years in a residental application to check for heat loss. With it they pressure up the house then using a little smoke generator they go through the building looking for escaping smoke at windows , doors ,wall outlets, etc. The principle sounds similar here. It works well with homes I would think it would in a trailer. The word pressure should not be thought of as in a tire or such. They only put slightly more than the outside air presure not enought to ruin any seals or expand the trailer.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL
Hi,

Has anyone done a leak test with the new pressurized systems? Camping world down the street has this new leak testing system.

This is the new gadget that forces air into the unit via one of the top vents. Then they spray the outside with soapy water and look for air bubbles.

Any concern on popping seals or using the wrong type of soap?
I have done it on sailboats with a garden blower. Seal the hatches and use the blower to provide the pressure. Soap down the decks and look for the bubbles. Yes I would want a way to control the pressure, on a boat I just opened the forward hatch by taking turns off the dogging latches. Boats are much thicker than Airstreams.

I have seen a picture of a C130, which was pressurized for a check and came apart due to a bad relief valve and gauge. It may be fake.

Good Luck Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
See the link for SealTech in the blog entry SNUZE » Blog Archive » Finding Leaks

The pressure involved is very very low. It is not like aircraft pressurization testing where they are checking to see if the craft will stay together when maintiaining an interior 10,000 ft pressure at 40k feet or more.

You can almost do the same thing with closed windows and a Fantastic type fan or two. It takes very little air to create a bubble. (making bubbles is an interesting technology in itself - see the weblog entry).

Definitely one of the better ways to make sure you find the actual location of the leak where it counts - on the outside where the water comes in.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
which dealer did you go to for this service? Is it expensive to have it done?
I went to Marty's and it was warranty work so you will have to call to get a price.
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Thanks Guys. Sounds like a good use of $. I will get it done before the monsoon season starts in Oregon...

JDL
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I am about to have this done on mine at Billy Sims in Lubbock. They charge one hour labor to set up the SealTech and usually a half hour to run it.
Fixing leaks comes after that.
They tell me it is usualy a Parrbond issue on some piece of trim or roof vent or antenna, or window mount seal.
They advised me to do as much of the tedious scraping and maintenence Parrbonding as possible before bringing it in to minimize repair cost if a leak has to be repaired.....and to wait until after a rain AFTER the maintenence Parrbonding is done to bring it in if it still needs to be tested....the maintenence may fix the leak problem....
I have a leak at the front window towards the street side, and to the front side of the door jam, and to the front of the street side wheel well that I just cannot seem to find. I am thinking it may be worth the $130 or so to find out where the leak is coming from.
I suspect the old TV antenna. It is so outdated and every decent RV Park has cable now. When I go boondocking in the boonies I don't watch TV anyways...I am going to have the antenna removed....I think this may stop both the front door leak and the streetside leak between the fridge and the wheelwell.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #10

Hi, does anyone know a service person who can come and do this air test on site? I am in the Palm Springs area and would like to have this check done prior to selling.
I am in a closed park and cannot tow to a dealer...I am three thousand miles away from my airstream.

thanks, Jana
jana is offline   Reply With Quote