Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Leak in Refrigerator Outside Compartment

My 77 Excella 500 has the refrigerator just aft of the entry door. Despite sealing everything up top and the door, I'm still getting water on the plywood in the front right corner of the compartment. I felt the wall to see if water is running down from above and it is dry. While washing the rig yesterday I did some testing and found that the awning rail has a drain opening directly above this area between the entry door and fridge access door and the water just pours down that area. I also noticed that the banana wrap adjacent to the step seems to collect alot of water and funnels it underneath the trailer. I peeked inside the banana wrap area aft of the step assembly and the wrap is wet in there. I see some factory insulation in there as well and I'm wondering if the insulation is wicking the moisture and transferring it to the plywood floor above? Has anyone encountered a similar situation?
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The fact that the insulation is wet probably means that the frame is staying wet for quite a while after a rainfall.

Sounds to me that it would be worthwhile to change where the awning rail drains...
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I'm trying to figure a way to prevent the water from getting behind the banana wrap. There is a gap behind the bottom of the entry door frame and the banana wrap. I'm going to caulk that gap and see if that prevents the water from getting inside there. I agree that the awning rail drain is not in an ideal location, but I will have to wait on that until I need a new awning. There appear to be 3 of these openings in the awning rail to let water drain through.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote