Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Door gasket for Bambi II or Caravel....

I replaced the door gasket on my Bambi II with this gasket:

Airstream Door Gasket

Originally, the trailer had flat type gaskets on both the door & the frame. This is a "d" type gasket that was recommended by VTS. I've only installed it on the door & it's so tight that there's no way I can fit one on the frame too.

What types of gaskets have all you Bambi II & early Caravel owners used? Did you put them on both the door & the frame?

Thanks in advance.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The oversized double lip gasket is what usually went on them. It is similar to the window gaskets on later model trailers.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Like this:?

http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/imag...05s-gasket.jpg

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Anybody???

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Anybody???
Yes.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Gasket

Quote:
I replaced the door gasket on my Bambi II with this gasket:

Airstream Door Gasket

Originally, the trailer had flat type gaskets on both the door & the frame. This is a "d" type gasket that was recommended by VTS. I've only installed it on the door & it's so tight that there's no way I can fit one on the frame too.

What types of gaskets have all you Bambi II & early Caravel owners used? Did you put them on both the door & the frame?

Thanks in advance.....
Becky, There is no need to place gasket on both the frame and door. I placed the new gasket on the door where the old gasket from the factory was installed. Yes it makes the door closing a little harder but it also gives a much better seal. The other benefit is that it won't get hard and crumble like the original rubber ones did. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Becky, There is no need to place gasket on both the frame and door. I placed the new gasket on the door where the old gasket from the factory was installed. Yes it makes the door closing a little harder but it also gives a much better seal. The other benefit is that it won't get hard and crumble like the original rubber ones did. Ed
Did it "break in" after a while, or is it still hard to shut? I literally have to push with all my weight (and I'm not a fly weight) to get it to stay shut. I'm just wondering if I should take off the one I put on & switch it out with the double one.......

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Did it "break in" after a while, or is it still hard to shut? I literally have to push with all my weight (and I'm not a fly weight) to get it to stay shut. I'm just wondering if I should take off the one I put on & switch it out with the double one.......
Becky, Ours is still a slight bit tougher to close than with the old style gasket but it seals so much better. I just push on the door until the door latch catches. I make sure to use the dead bolt whenever the door is closed as to take the stress off of the door latch. The seal has been on the door for well over three years and still no leaks. Yes it does break in some over time. Just run water sprayed from your garden hose above the door and down the seams to check for leaks. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Becky, Ours is still a slight bit tougher to close than with the old style gasket but it seals so much better. I just push on the door until the door latch catches. I make sure to use the dead bolt whenever the door is closed as to take the stress off of the door latch. The seal has been on the door for well over three years and still no leaks. Yes it does break in some over time. Just run water sprayed from your garden hose above the door and down the seams to check for leaks. Ed
Ok, I'll leave it on. I tried it again yesterday & it seems to be a little easier already to shut. I'll have to go check it out today. We had a good rain last night. I hate to think about taking it off (I used gasket glue for extra measure!) I'm glad to hear I don't need one on the trailer itself!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Becky, 3M Gasket Adhesive is the only way to insure that the gasket stays put! What with heat/moisture/snow etc. working on the gasket itself why worry about the tape strip on the gasket letting go in spots and causing you a leak issue some time in the future. Put down in your routine maint. log to treat the new gaskets with a clean terry cloth towel sprayed with some silicone. A light coat of it wiped on each season with add years to the life of the seal and also keep it from sticking to the frame. Good insurance for another 30 to 40 years of carefree traveling! Happy Trails, Ed
Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Becky, 3M Gasket Adhesive is the only way to insure that the gasket stays put! What with heat/moisture/snow etc. working on the gasket itself why worry about the tape strip on the gasket letting go in spots and causing you a leak issue some time in the future. Put down in your routine maint. log to treat the new gaskets with a clean terry cloth towel sprayed with some silicone. A light coat of it wiped on each season with add years to the life of the seal and also keep it from sticking to the frame. Good insurance for another 30 to 40 years of carefree traveling! Happy Trails, Ed
I agree wholeheartedly! That's exactly what I used. I make it a routine on my 1986 Sovereign to go over all the gaskets with silicone each year. Don't want to have to do that job again!
Thanks for your tips!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #12

1964 17' Bambi II
Houston , Texas
Hello,
my 1964 Bambi II needs a new door gasket. Anyone have any luck finding one?
Flee2paris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel