Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

2008 28' Safari
Fletcher , North Carolina
2005 28' Safari Leaking at Skin to Belly Pan Location

I have just purchased a 2005 28' Safari. We are remodeling it and trying to find all the leaks and fix them. I have noticed the plywood floor wet at the Chanel and interior skin. I have taken off some of the interior skin but all the walls are dry. Next I removed the lower moulding trim where the exterior skin and belly pan meet. There is no caulk in this seam and no putty tape under the trim strip. Has anyone else encountered this? What is the best way to ensure this seam is water tight and after I reinstall the moulding strip should it then be caulked?

Thanks for helping,

Rich
K-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The worst leak area is at the back. You want to caulk the top edge of that trim. Any leaks in the trailer will always end up in the C-channel. The insulation may or may not get soaked from a leak. Go out there in the rain with the skins off and see what you find. The plate under the back of the trailer tends to catch water and funnel it under the floor. With the inner skins off look for black trails where water as been and caused mildew. Tail light housings leak and awing brackets and window frames and especially sewer vents.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

2008 28' Safari
Thanks Perry. Today I discovered the Fantastic Fan and the skylight were leaking. I fixed those and put Sika flex sealant around all the sewer vents. Should I replace the gaskets on the tail lights or just apply sealant around the frames?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
What/where is the C channel?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is a drawing of how the back end of the trailer is constructed. I stole this from Barts.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Here is a drawing of how the back end of the trailer is constructed. I stole this from Barts. The original hold down plate is made of steel and usually rusts out from the bumper plate leak. This is Barts fix for the leak problem. Originally that bumper plate went under the floor between the cross member and the hold down plate.

Perry
Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

2008 28' Safari
Thanks. I'm in the process of re sealing everything in the back. I hope this stops the problem.