Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Maxum!

The ones that are taped on, make it easier to get those junkers off and install some Quality skylights from Maxum! You won't be sorry.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #22
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
When lewster did my Solar, Magnum and Lithium system he cleaned off the to be VHB tape surfaces with carburetor cleaner. Although that does not abrade the surface the use on clear coated inside aluminum may be in doubt.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Maximskylights.com. Multiple layers, welded and powder coated aluminum frame.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeokey2@pge View Post
I just met a fellow pulling a 2017 International 27 FB. He had noticed my 2017 FC 27 FB and stopped to warn me that Airstream is now using only double stick tape (no screws) to attach skylights. He said that his had recently blown off the trailer completely, only discovered when he stopped to camp for the night. He couldn't believe it when he learned that it had only been attached with tape but when he went to his AS dealer to replace it they confirmed that AS is now only using tape on current models. BUT, he said that the replacement skylight he ordered came with an aluminum bracket that overlaps the skylight around the edge and is screwed onto the the roof frame. Can this be true? Please say it isn't so. I can't get on my roof until I get home but standing on the picnic table I see no screws holding down my skylights. Praying they don't blow off before I get home.
Hello and let's face it guys AS does not do anything better than a lot of trailer builders. They will short one rivet in every trailer to make a big buck. I have been pulling 34' AS since 1990 and this 2000 I have has been rebuild by me because they do not have any QC's at their plant. Some time ago when I ask who is the QC' I was told everyone at AS is. The best part of the AS in the axles because of no springs and lower profile, U dont feel like U R getting into a high rise building when U enter.
Take it from an older guy it is the club that has me keeping the AS. going on my 41st caravan next month.
Jim
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Roof vents and skylights

On one trip on one of our SOBs the skylight ripped off. As an emergency solution, I stuck an umbrella through the opening to keep the rain from getting in!! Luckily on the way home it didn't rain because the umbrella wouldn't have helped while on the road!!! Always keep an umbrella handy, just in case!!!!!
Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I replaced my cracked leaking skylight with a Maxxim skylight and am extremely pleased. It has triple panes and has a very heavy duty frame that mounts around the skylight hatch. Maxxim skylights are made by the same company that makes skylights for homes that are built to withstand hurricanes.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote