Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Your skylight should have a shade that pulles accross and shuts off most of the heat coming through it. My 28' has 2 skylights and if I don't pull the shades on them then you are right, it will run you out of the trailer. Sounds like a good shake down cruise. Welcome to the forum.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
In addition to closing the shade on the skylight, you can get some of that reflective 'bubble wrap' like people use on their dash boards and cut it to fit the opening for the sky-light. Put it ABOVE the shade - between the shade and the skylight for additional insulation fro the heat. We use these in the Fantastic Fan openings as well.

And we highly recommend the additional awnings for keeping cool but CLEARLY not while traveling!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This was one of my concerns when I ordered my 2004. I recall many on here saying the 15k unit was overkill and a bad idea due to excessive cycling.

I went ahead and did it anyway and it was the best decision I made. Without awning(s) deployed, in full sun, with outdoor temps at about 98 degrees, I can hang meat in the Safari and the cooldown takes maybe at worst case, 15 minutes to get 'er down from 100+ inside to a comfy temp.

15k units are now commonplace on most Airstream's 25' and larger...not simply the Classic models.

As for the skylight....my thought when I ordered the unit was to have as few holes in the skin as possible. I hear regularly how the domes crack, leak, let heat and cool in (or out), etc.

One suggestion would be to make sure all the window and door seals have no gaps. It is very common for the door not to seal completely and this will let heat or cool in or out. Some of my windows also had no weatherstripping at all, also letting air movement in or out contrary to what I was trying to maintain in terms of temp inside.

I also fully understand and can appreciate first hand your frustration having spend all that $$$ and finding these fun things on what I too consider, or considered before I bought a "premium" product...carrying a premium price.

For those who watch the market, Thor is not doing so hot...then again neither is anyone in the industry. Of course, most of the RV builders out there have been getting progressively worse in terms of overall quality for years, unfort, Airstream seems to be no exception.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote