Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Fantastic Fan, over head lighting ?

Sorry, needed to repost with Fantastic in the title. Am I'm missing something here but is losing the overhead light fixture worth it ?
New fan doesn't allows for original light fixture ?!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1446928691.253339.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	251744

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I created my own...light fixture that is..

Using "1/4" "hardware cloth" ( strong screen) I made a cover over the fan. I then attached LED pucks to the screen and wired up!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've been wondering, what have others done when replacing this fan/light?

Channing, would you share a photo of your upgraded LED light fixture?

The gear box for the fan lid lift has failed on my Excella. Mine is similar to the photo in post #1 except the bulbs are fluorescent. I'm thinking of replacing the whole fan/light fixture with a Fantastic or MaxAir. But, I want to keep some kind of entry light that is controlled by the switch by the door

I'm open to suggestions

Thanks
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Hi A W Warn,

The original ventilation on our trailer was replaced with 2 MaxxAir Deluxe fans (I believe model 700) and the fan in the kitchen area is a more basic Fantastic Fan. The deluxe fans have built in rain sensor, several settings, can be run as ceiling fans when the cover is closed, have remote controls and don't require the big, goofy covers to keep weather out of your trailer.

All our lighting has been switched to LED inside and out. We decided to do a drop ceiling and 90% of our interior lighting is LED strip that is installed all around the frame. Can't remember if our photos were uploaded to the gallery here, but several of our projects are in the most recent post we have on our blog, including the fans and LEDs. (The LED have remotes too. A mounting bracket came with the remotes.)

The address is www.thestellarlandyacht.blogspot.com
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
This was my approach last year: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...an-134139.html

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Thanks Starstream and Aquinob.
What I am trying to figure out is how to get rid of the original light and fan. Then install a separate new light and a separate new fan. The existing fan cover lift is broken and I am not going to try to repair it, since the existing fan makes a lot of noise and does not move much air.

At the existing hole in the roof there are two existing wires. One is controlled by switch at the entry door, for the light. One is hot all the time, for the fan. I want to re-use these existing wires.

This is the original fan light I have now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	99 Excella fan light combo.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	258075
This is the location where the new fan will be installed. The smaller fixture is the first of 5 spaced out down the center of the trailer. There is not enough space to add another of these. I would either add a new light to the fan itself, maybe a strip of LED's, or add two small light fixtures to the left and right of the new fan.

The other option is to relocate the smoke alarm and add a new light in it's place. But, it would be difficult to find a matching light and that would separate those lights by only a foot. And this location is not at the correct location for the new light.

The existing light/fan is centered over the fold up tables. In addition to being the switched entry light, the new light should act as task lighting over these tables.
That is what I'm trying to figure out.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Do you have a service manual that can help you identify your wires? We were fortunate that our trailer came with one, courtesy of the PO. Of course our trailer is several years older, so perhaps Airstream stopped offering them after awhile. (Change of ownership a few times probably didn't help in keeping track of documentation.) Otherwise, when you're removing the old fixtures, make sure you flag your wires. Pick one color for fan wires and another for the lights.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I have that same fixture. It is loud and does not move that much air, but I do not use it that often, and do like the light. However, my lift mechanism is getting problematic. Does anyone know if parts for this are available?
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Hi Siegmann,

You might want to try checking with Bob Jones RV in South Houston, TX. They recently completed installation of our new axles and fresh water tank. If you're not familiar with them, they are a repair and restoration shop. (No dealership attached.) While they work on all kinds of RVs, Airstreams of all ages are their specialty. They might be able to find your part and have it sent directly to you.

Their website is www.bobjonesrv.com

Ask for Chris or Harry.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
Hi Siegmann,

You might want to try checking with Bob Jones RV in South Houston, TX. They recently completed installation of our new axles and fresh water tank. If you're not familiar with them, they are a repair and restoration shop. (No dealership attached.) While they work on all kinds of RVs, Airstreams of all ages are their specialty. They might be able to find your part and have it sent directly to you.

Their website is www.bobjonesrv.com

Ask for Chris or Harry.
Thanks for that lead.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
You're welcome!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Do you have a service manual that can help you identify your wires? We were fortunate that our trailer came with one, courtesy of the PO. Of course our trailer is several years older, so perhaps Airstream stopped offering them after awhile. (Change of ownership a few times probably didn't help in keeping track of documentation.) Otherwise, when you're removing the old fixtures, make sure you flag your wires. Pick one color for fan wires and another for the lights.
Yes, I have all the original manuals and paperwork, even the sales receipt for the trailer when it was purchased new and every receipt for service since it was new. I'm lucky that I bought the trailer from the original owner who kept good records.

I do not need to identify wires, since I already know. I am replacing the fan. I need to figure out what type lights will be appropriate with the new fan. Any suggestions about new lights?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
As you probably noticed, our drop ceiling is part of a renovation. So I'm guessing you're looking for a different system than we used. You might want to look into LED for RV. We got some of our signal lighting from them, but they also carry interior lighting. The owner is very helpful and might be able to direct you to a product that best suites your needs.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
We had a lot going on last summer when we did the lights in our trailer, so I’m thinking we never posted anything to the forum about them.

I would need to look in our service manual to verify, but seem to recall we had the light fixtures with a ventilation portal. No electric fan. When we installed the new fans the 12V wiring for the old lights was used on them.

Since we were doing the drop ceiling with LED strips wrapped all around the frame, the wiring from a bathroom fixture and the hallway fixture were used. We ordered our system from Amazon. 2 reels of the LED strip (I believe 16 ft. on each reel), 2 controllers, and 2 remotes. The controllers had portals at one end to connect the LEDs and wires at the other end. Those wires were connected to the 12V system. The LEDs were secured to the ceiling frame with double-sided carpet tape from Lowes. (It’s extra sticky.)The next time we’re working on our trailer will have to look at how we secured the controllers to the frame. We don’t have plastic lenses over our strips because the ceiling panels extend a bit beyond the frame.

LED strips can supposedly be cut to the size you desire. However, we needed the whole reel for that application. Though we haven’t tried cutting it yet, there are a couple of upcoming projects where we will want shorter strips. Will try to post info on that when we do it.

There are plenty of LED vendors who carry a variety of products, including the design-it yourself stuff. We occasionally get a catalog from one of them. Just haven’t ordered anything from them yet.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
As you probably noticed, our drop ceiling is part of a renovation. So I'm guessing you're looking for a different system than we used. You might want to look into LED for RV. We got some of our signal lighting from them, but they also carry interior lighting. The owner is very helpful and might be able to direct you to a product that best suites your needs.
I did look at your ceiling. I'm not wanting to modify any more than I absolutely have to.

I live pretty close to the LED4RV store. I've been there a few times to buy bulbs and talk to Dan about some replacement light fixtures.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
If you have the same system we did, vent with lights, you might want to look at battery operated LED lights with a remote. Just did some checking and they do exist.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

njwgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1992 32' Excella
Elma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
I have that same fixture. It is loud and does not move that much air, but I do not use it that often, and do like the light. However, my lift mechanism is getting problematic. Does anyone know if parts for this are available?
Yes I just found a manufacture Dk Hardware Inc. I am rebuilding both of mine because I want to keep the light cloud too. there is another Item number for my 92 Excella DKH-186478. Good Luck
Old 03-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	259371
Old 03-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noremark View Post
Yes I just found a manufacture Dk Hardware Inc. I am rebuilding both of mine because I want to keep the light cloud too. there is another Item number for my 92 Excella DKH-186478. Good Luck
I tried using google to find that manufacturer and that item with no luck. Could you post the actual link. Thanks--

Jim