Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Vent Covers Over Fantastic Fan

Has anyone ever put a roof vent cover, such as a MaxxAir cover , over their Fantastic Fans? I see Maxx Air makes model specifically disigned for this purpose (such as their Model 800). If you've done this, what has been your experience with doing this.

Manytimes, I'd like to keep the vent open in inclement weather (raining or wind blowing), and I think one of these covers would be just the ticket.

John
Old 01-16-2006, 09:23 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
There are folks doing it. The manufacturer of Fantastic Fans doesn't recommend it....although I'm not sure why unless it creates undue backpressure on the fan.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

HI John I installed the covers over both my Fantastic Fans, one with the rain sensor and one without, about four years ago. They don't open all the way up, but almost. I have had no problems with them and they work great. I talked to Fantastic Fans about it. They said all I was doing was cutting the air flow by a very small amount. Other than that they couldn't see any problem. I bought the covers from Camping World, they offer two sizes, I chose the large ones.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Camping World sells a cover that has louvers on the sides as well as the rear. It is fairly low profile and looks a lot better on the trailer than a lot of others that I have seen. I had 2 on my previous 25 and they worked well. They probably did reduce the airflow by a bit, but even though Fantastic says I can safely tow with the covers full open, it always worried me just a bit, especially when 18-wheelers pass in a crosswind.

I intend to put the same covers on my 28 when I get a chance.

You can see the covers on my avitar which is a photo of my 25.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
John,
With all respect to your opinion about the use of the Fantastic Fans while traveling.. I'd like to add that the issues about diesel fumes, dust, and dirt being sucked in while traveling. I've found with these vents open, it can be quite messy and, more bothersome than any issues concerning crosswind from 18 wheelers.. IMHO.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I wasn't thinking so much about keeping the vents open while we travel, although with a cover I probably would do this sometimes, especially when it is very hot, as I was thinking about it when we are parked at a campground.

We spend the summer in Montana mainly, and other places in the northwest. Most afternoons the wind can be quite strong, and the covers blow up and down so hard we have to close them completely, or else I'm sure they'd blow off. That's primarily why I'd want the covers.

I've also talked to the Fantastic Fan people, and what they told me was that it would make the fan harder to clean, and the increased dirt could cause problems with the fan's motor. I think I can deal with that easier than having to close the vent covers all the time.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Camping World sells a cover that has louvers on the sides as well as the rear. It is fairly low profile and looks a lot better on the trailer than a lot of others that I have seen. I had 2 on my previous 25 and they worked well. They probably did reduce the airflow by a bit, but even though Fantastic says I can safely tow with the covers full open, it always worried me just a bit, especially when 18-wheelers pass in a crosswind.

I intend to put the same covers on my 28 when I get a chance.

You can see the covers on my avitar which is a photo of my 25.
Are your covers the standard sized MaxxAirs, or another brand, or are they larger than the standard size? I can't make them out from your avitar?

I really like the standard sized MaxxAir vent covers in what they call their "smoke" color, which is transparent, but it is only available in their standard size. I was actually thinking about their larger cover, specifically designed for high powered fans, but I don't like them as much due to their larger size.

John
Old 01-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Smoke color maxxair

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I really like the standard sized MaxxAir vent covers in what they call their "smoke" color, which is transparent, but it is only available in their standard size. I was actually thinking about their larger cover, specifically designed for high powered fans, but I don't like them as much due to their larger size.

John
John,

We installed the smoke colored maxxair on our back fantastic fan this past fall. We did it so that we could keep it open at night without the bothersome opening and closing that happens with dew fall. We went with the regular, smoke color cover, easily took off the maxxair stickers and are very happy with our choice. We didn't want the big one either, the smoke one almost disapears from view and we don't have the ugly label on it. We keep the back vent open now for winter storage so we don't get the closed up smell when we go in the trailer now. The other important thing for us was that we still be able to see out of the vent and the smoke color allows that. Hope this helps.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
Contributing Member

Au contraire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
John,
With all respect to your opinion about the use of the Fantastic Fans while traveling.. I'd like to add that the issues about diesel fumes, dust, and dirt being sucked in while traveling. I've found with these vents open, it can be quite messy and, more bothersome than any issues concerning crosswind from 18 wheelers.. IMHO.
ciao
53FC
Our cats ride in the trailers at any temperature below 96 degrees and we run the fans, one in and one out, at any temperature over about 80. In 5 years at over 12,000 miles a year, I have never noticed any amunt of dust or even a trace of diesel fumes (including from my own diesel). I have never found any dust deposit exceeding what I would expect just from living in the trailer.

My only concern is swirling winds that might wrench the covers loose regardless of assurances from Fantastic.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Quote:
Are your covers the standard sized MaxxAirs, or another brand, or are they larger than the standard size? I can't make them out from your avitar?
John
Not MaxxAir. I don't offhand remember the brand, but Camping World should have them on their website. Our local Airstream dealer stocks them and recommends them because of the additional louver area.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Does anyone have real experience with the Maxxfans yet?
_
A year and a half ago Cedars (Elizabeth of Iowa) posted here that MaxxFan had given them one of these fans for free to try out.

Here's the link to that post:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=Maxxfan

I've been wondering how it turned out.

John
Old 01-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
MaxxAirs

That one they gave us turned out so well we bought and installed a second one!
We love them!
We have towed with them open and functioning, sometimes not planned, just forgot to turn off and close! No problems at all! They are really quiet, and move a LOT of air!
Our rv tech is an independent shop (RV Revive in Waterloo, Iowa). Ryan worked for Ace Fogdal for nearly twenty years before opening his own shop and is Airstream factory trained in many things. More important to us, he is Airstream savvy, especially on older units!
He said he installed it as if it were a Fantastic, which he sells. He was VERY impressed with the MaxxAire! He liked the fact the fan would not have to be dismounted from the coach to service it or work on it! He acted like it moved more air than a fantastic...
Those up and down covers have not given us anything but joy. We don't worry about rain at all!
Just asked my hubby if there was anything he would like to add and he said NO! Only that we are thrilled with them!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
That one they gave us turned out so well we bought and installed a second one!
We love them!
We have towed with them open and functioning, sometimes not planned, just forgot to turn off and close! No problems at all! They are really quiet, and move a LOT of air!
Our rv tech is an independent shop (RV Revive in Waterloo, Iowa). Ryan worked for Ace Fogdal for nearly twenty years before opening his own shop and is Airstream factory trained in many things. More important to us, he is Airstream savvy, especially on older units!
He said he installed it as if it were a Fantastic, which he sells. He was VERY impressed with the MaxxAire! He liked the fact the fan would not have to be dismounted from the coach to service it or work on it! He acted like it moved more air than a fantastic...
Those up and down covers have not given us anything but joy. We don't worry about rain at all!
Just asked my hubby if there was anything he would like to add and he said NO! Only that we are thrilled with them!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Elizabeth -

Thank you for your fast, and excellent response. With all that these MaxxAir's apparently have going for them, I wonder why in the world, other than tradition, Airstream keeps installing Fantastic Fans in new trailers. For my money, functionality trumps tradition every time.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Elizabeth -

Thank you for your fast, and excellent response. With all that these MaxxAir's apparently have going for them, I wonder why in the world, other than tradition, Airstream keeps installing Fantastic Fans in new trailers. For my money, functionality trumps tradition every time.
Wow! Just went tot he maxxfan pages again! Did you see the wall controls that are available for OEM fans? Wouldn't that be a nice touch for a new Airstream? Really too bad they are not available for aftermarket! I'd put them in in a heartbeat!
What an elegant addition those would be for any Airstream!
I don't know.... maybe Fantastic gives them a better price break than maxxfan would. Who knows...
Too bad.... those wall controls would be great! See them here: http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxfan_oem.aspx
All I know is the Maxx fans witht he temperature control has been good for us.... it is nice to set the temp value and leave, knowing all be will right when we come back. The reversing feature is pleasing to us....
The comment about price..... remember, the maxx fan is a complete system... no additional cover is needed! With it's built in cover, to me at least, it is comparable to the fantastic fan with rain sensor, which is listed as thirty dollars more at http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...-%20Maxx%20Air

We each make our selections for ourselves..... I certainly don't expect others to buy simply because we did! both are good roducts. i just happen to think the Maxxfan is a better product! And looks better, too! LOL!!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
If it was Me I'd put the cover on. You are going to get pro and cons on it. I put them on My Airstream and I painted them to match up the color of my trem.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote