Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
Fantastic fan noise

We have a year old AS Classic with 2 Fantastic fans, both push-pull. In the rear, at night the fan is set to in and the front fan to out. The noise from the fan cycling on and off is very disturbing to sleep. Is this typical? Also when watching TV in the front room the noise seems too loud. Any ideas?
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Normally at night we have the front fan running with the rear hatch (over the bed) open, but the fan turned off. Likewise we do the reverse when watching TV. I'm not sure what speed you run the fans at but the front fan when set a low speed is pretty quiet. The rear speed is variable and controlled by the difference in the fan temp setting and the actual air temperature. The closer the two are the slower the back fan runs.

All in all I consider the fans pretty quiet. Now my Safari fans were louder in the fact that the hatches would open and close automatically based on the fan temp setting. The noise of the vent opening and closing would tend to bother me. Especially at night.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
For Safety Reasons~

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood
We have a year old AS Classic with 2 Fantastic fans, both push-pull. In the rear, at night the fan is set to in and the front fan to out. The noise from the fan cycling on and off is very disturbing to sleep. Is this typical? Also when watching TV in the front room the noise seems too loud. Any ideas?
oxblood,
Plse re-consider your Fantastic's push-pull method...
For safety sake...You should only use the exhaust direction at night in the bedroom because:
"The danger of sucking in the sewer fumes from your sewer venting pipes.."
This is the reason Airstream will now only install Fantastic fans that exhaust in the bedroom..
For what it's worth, both of mine work as your's..
Best regards,
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood
The distributor from who I purchased my two fantstic vents suggested to not use the push/pull feature at night, but to rather create a gentle breeze by running the front vent on low, and cracking open a window in the rear of the trailer. Supposedly this will create a quiet, gentle flow of fresh air through the trailer.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We also have a fantastic fan... and have a different issue. The lid is hinged on one side rather than being a pop straight up design. The original fan for our trailer had a lid that lifted straight up - allowing operation in light rain. Our new fantastic fan allows rain to come in when open. Yes - I know they make a model that closes automatically - but here in the pacific northewest, with loads of light drizzle, being able to run the fan during rain is an asset. We miss the old one.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Having one of the newer units that only has exhaust on both front and back, I can tell you first hand that having the front one on with the back simply open will in fact work wonders. On really warm evenings, I had the back one on low and the front one on medium and high with the windows open.

Not a great deal of noise, but it did create one heck of a breeze.

Personally, I love our Fantastic Fans. Particularly when they were open and running during the day, and a sudden storm would develop on us while I was out working in the field, too far to get to it in time. I never had to worry....those vents closed automatically and didn't allow any rain to get in. When dry, the vents opened automatically to and resumed full operation.

The word Fantastic doesn't even do them justice in my book.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote