Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
If you have any questions as to which model will best serve your needs, give Fantastic a call. They have way more models than whats usually in stock in stores. Very helpful and can even direct you to nearest supplier for ordering.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I know a guy in Baltimore. He might be a vendor for Fantastic Vent (it is "vent" not "fan") that can get any model,with any option,in any color. The Fantastic Vent people literally build it to my, I mean his, custom order.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1969 25' Tradewind
1983 34' Limited
fairview , New Mexico
vintage trailer has a fantastic fan that mimics the look of the original look of the vents that came in the vintage units. I bought one for my 59

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Fantastic recommends not using any cover over the unit as to not impede the air flow. As for the noise, at first I had concerns but guess what, not now, the benefits outweigh the getting use to. Definitely a buy item and an asset to my Airdreamer. When you order the unit be sure to mention that it is for an Airstream, they will include the face plate with the arched molding to fit the curve of your Airstream roof. When it is installed, which is a piece of cake, the unit looks like it was always there.
You won't be sorry.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
i have one in the bath,works great to suck out that steam from a hot shower that gets the walls and wood and everything wet. and for venting the trailer with the front vent open.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #20
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Are there any considerations for curvature of the ceiling on the late model trailers? Special trim kits etc?

I take it the wiring is right there at the vent?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
In my 27'er, I had the front and rear OE vents / fan replaced with Fantastic Vents, both with fans and rain sensors. The change is amazing. Turn one on blowing in and one blowing out and you'll be amazed. You can even go down the road with them open! I would have never thought to do this, but a factory rep. told me to give it a try because anything that broke would be replaced free. I must say that it's not a standard practice for me, but I did indeed try it. Kinda weird to see the lid flapping in the wind, but it didn't break in the about 150 miles that I left it that way.

I can't wait to go boondocking with the fans this year!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
...<snip>.....

Not necessarily...it depends on the model and what is near the vent opening. In a 19' Bambi, for isntance, it's bit tricky to get electricity to the back vent so that you can operate it without having to turn the light on somewhere .... you have to drill through the bulkhead to the bathroom and connect to the wiring that goes the bathroom fan... since the off/on switch for that fan is on the fan itself you'll have hot wiring there... But if you connect to light wiring and that light is controlled by a wall switch, you'll end up having to have the light on to have electricity at the light...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
TB Rich, I replaced the rear vent with a Fantastic Fan in our 19-foot Bambi, and connected the fan to the wiring to the overhead light. And, yes, the wall switch has to be turned on. However, if you connect the fan to the hot lead going to the light fixture, you can turn the overhead light on/off at the fixture, and both the light and the fan will have power as long as the wall switch is on.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
TB Rich, I replaced the rear vent with a Fantastic Fan in our 19-foot Bambi, and connected the fan to the wiring to the overhead light. And, yes, the wall switch has to be turned on. However, if you connect the fan to the hot lead going to the light fixture, you can turn the overhead light on/off at the fixture, and both the light and the fan will have power as long as the wall switch is on.
Thanks... Yup, that works with your model. However, ours is the SE package so we have the halogen (now converted to LED) recessed ceiling lights ... which don't have individual switches...in fact there are no ceiling lights with individual switches, so the nearest access is the bathroom fan-vent...which is a bummer in some ways.
Unit #3954
Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Interesting, we didn't look at the Safari models very closely when we were shopping; and I hadn't thought about the halogen fixtures not having built-in switches.

I don't want to hijack this post, but is there a thread where the differences between Safari's and Bambi's are discussed?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Are there any considerations for curvature of the ceiling on the late model trailers? Special trim kits etc?

see post # 18

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Interesting, we didn't look at the Safari models very closely when we were shopping; and I hadn't thought about the halogen fixtures not having built-in switches.

I don't want to hijack this post, but is there a thread where the differences between Safari's and Bambi's are discussed?
I don't know if there's such a thread...but the model and trim pkg distinctions are more than a little confusing...our Safari SE is called (and badged as) a Bambi, as is the 16' model... I would guess yours is also a Safari, badged as a Bambi... but not an SE. The SE (Special Edition) has the pano window, aluminum interior skin, halogen lights, and probably a few other things... while the regular Safari has the cloth-lined walls inside, regular ceiling lights, etc. Then there is the whole International CCD model and their trim pkg...which have the same floor plans but different cabinetry, etc. It's enough to confuse anyone when you begin to look at the differences...to make matters worse, as of 2009, what was called the Safari SE was re-named the Flying Cloud... I think they just like to keep us on our toes.
Unit #3954
Old 02-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #28
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
He might be a vendor for Fantastic Vent (it is "vent" not "fan")
Yes, the fan is in the vent.
If your Airstream has never had the OEM rounded corner vent changed for something more modern (this is more for the vintage crowd), here is a brief article that outlines the procedure for installing a Fantastic. And, similar to the vendor Frank may know, I know this guy has installed a few of them:

A Fantastic Story

Tags
fantastic fan