Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
I've read about alot of problems in the last couple of years, but this is the first I've heard of the window shields coming loose. Checked mine and 1 fastener on each side won't tighten down. What needs replaced, just the steel peg or the base with the rubber bumper?
thanks,
Dave
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchance View Post
I've read about alot of problems in the last couple of years, but this is the first I've heard of the window shields coming loose. Checked mine and 1 fastener on each side won't tighten down. What needs replaced, just the steel peg or the base with the rubber bumper?
thanks,
Dave
Dave,

Try pressing firmly and turning, ours are difficult to turn also but do lock. Look at the pin closely, if the "wings" are worn away, replace, compare with a known good pin.

Bob
Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchance View Post
thanks,
Dave
Dave,

Try pressing firmly and turning, ours are difficult to turn also but do lock. Look at the pin closely, if the "wings" are worn away, replace, compare with a known good pin.

Bob
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Just ordered some dzus fasteners and will post installation photos next week.

In the meantime, I took some photos showing the sloppy hinge installation on the curbside (closed) and street side (open). While the use of dzus fasteners might add a few bucks to the price of a $60,000 + Airstream, it doesn't cost a dime to install the hinges correctly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03550.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	162408   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03552.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	162409  

Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Thanks for posting this. I was griping about it today as I noticed the quarter turn fasteners were both loose on my poorly aligned curbside guard...

An upgrade will be in order.

Tom
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #26
Winetripper

2007 25' International CCD
Santa Barbara , California
Yep, that was me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsale View Post
Winetripper, I think I passed you going the opposite direction on US highway 20 east of Arco Idaho. It was very windy that day and I saw an Airstream pulled off to the side of the road with a broken rock guard.
Hi Doug, If it was Wednesday, 6/13, and the AS you saw was being pulled by a white Expedition, you got the right guy. What a shock for me to see the rock guard swinging loose! I tried a temporary repair when we were camped near Hoback Junction, but the fasteners were too messed up to hold it, so I went on without it.

I've made an insurance claim and the adjuster has come up with a $3700 estimate for damage to the coach's skin, of which $500 is my responsibility, I think it's high, but whatever it is, it's too much damage to be caused by the simple failure of a fastener.

I'm glad to have brought this topic up, as I seem to have hit a sore spot.

WT

Retirement isn't.
Winetripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
WT, have you priced the repairs at various dealers? If they will give you a check for $3,200 (some insurance companies will) you may be able to get it cheaper. And if it is more, you can ask for the difference.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
It was Wednesday 6/13.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #29
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Any aircraft supply has Dzus fasteners. Change them out. My 2006 built in June 2005 has the original fasteners. Still working OK. Push hard and turn only a quarter turn unless you have worn them down.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Collegeville , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up

Here is a real easy fix that I did. Go to the hardware store and purchase 4 10x24 or 8x32 T nuts and phillips head screws for these that are 3/8" long. Drill out the existing Southco fasteners that are not holding. Put the Southco fastener in a vise so the backside is facing up. Take a flat blade screwdriver and stick it into the slot and pull out the slotted insert. Place the t nut so that the flat side of the nut is on the back and the threaded part sticks up through the old Southco fastener. Make up the other three in the same manner. Go back out and pop rivet with 1/8' Dia. aluminum rivets and secure the window protector clip with the phillps head 10x24 or 8x32 3/8" long screws. Tighten the screw head down on the window clip. Very easy secure fix that re-uses the original rebuilt Southco and looks OEM when down. RTV the tops of the 1/8" rivets so water does go in the top of the rivet and you are done. I am tired of re-engineering RV's but now it is made right. Good luck... if you can pop rivet, this is a chinch and cheap repair.
BTempone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
no need to buy expensive Southco fasteners from Aircraft Spruce when you can rebuild your Southco's with a 55 cent t-nut.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTempone View Post
Here is a real easy fix that I did. Go to the hardware store and purchase 4 10x24 or 8x32 T nuts and phillips head screws for these that are 3/8" long. Drill out the existing Southco fasteners that are not holding. Put the Southco fastener in a vise so the backside is facing up. Take a flat blade screwdriver and stick it into the slot and pull out the slotted insert. Place the t nut so that the flat side of the nut is on the back and the threaded part sticks up through the old Southco fastener. Make up the other three in the same manner. Go back out and pop rivet with 1/8' Dia. aluminum rivets and secure the window protector clip with the phillps head 10x24 or 8x32 3/8" long screws. Tighten the screw head down on the window clip. Very easy secure fix that re-uses the original rebuilt Southco and looks OEM when down. RTV the tops of the 1/8" rivets so water does go in the top of the rivet and you are done. I am tired of re-engineering RV's but now it is made right. Good luck... if you can pop rivet, this is a chinch and cheap repair.

Did you use T-nuts with pointy prongs on them? Or ones where the bases are flat/smooth on both sides?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I was looking at our globetrotter and thinking the same could happen. I haven't pulled the trigger on my idea yet but was thinking of adding a simple piece of aluminum on both sides of the center rock guard vertical frames that overlaps the gap between the guards. That way if the latches fail the center window guard would in theory hold it shut unless it flexed a ton.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:48 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
My center rock guard does just that--it overlaps the fastener tabs of both sides. Even if Southco fasteners fail, they will catch on the center guard.

Not sure an 80 mph or more wind while under tow wouldn't jiggle them open, but that there appears to be a safety catch in the design.

P.S. still following this thread ... the Southco fasteners do provide that "Really? That's it?" impression.
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
used the flat base t- nut
Old 06-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
There were a number of people had the side window protectors open while driving and I thought the same thing that the center window protector would hold them in place. Here's to me the crux of the issue, why take the risk when the solution like I have done is simple, cheap and SECURE.It really took me no time at all to make the mod that looks OEM. No fusing around with 1/2 turns screws that really don't work like they are supposed to. However, people like to debate the issue to the cows come home.... I have no idea why Airstream keeps making trailers with this setup for the side windows year after year that is worthless and this is not the only bad design.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTempone View Post
I have no idea why Airstream keeps making trailers with this setup for the side windows year after year that is worthless and this is not the only bad design.
Change costs money for the Company.

Change means something different.

Change means thinking.

The Company is perfect.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Change is unnecessary.

Only malcontents suggest change.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote