thanks,
Leo

http://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I think the bottom ones are like the top ones!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Red,

Dude- you are awesome for explaining this. I think I'm gonna leave out the plastic inner window. Do you think the 3/16" with maybe some 100% silicone will hold the glass to the exterior? 2nd question- why use the 1/16" between the glass and the exterior? why not just use the Vulcum or 100% silicone? Doesn't the 1/16" create unnecessary separation between the glass and the exterior?

Thanks again! I can't believe there are so many threads about breaking the plastic inner window when you just found a way to take it out so easily.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtWithin View Post
Thanks again! I can't believe there are so many threads about breaking the plastic inner window when you just found a way to take it out so easily.
Be careful: not all VV windows are held in the same way. And, some use glass inners and outers...
Old 09-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Leo, I can't tell from your picture. There should be a split somewhere on the inner ring if it's like mine. Look at the picture with the curved needle nose pliers in it. That is an extreme close up of my retaining ring being removed.

Art, if you leave out the plexi, the 3/16 Polyshim won't work. Maybe if you found some type of rigid plastic spacer... someone on here at some point suggested maybe one of the large plastic coat hangers for spacer. I don't know if it would work or not. I put my plexi back in. And, I used the 1/16th between the glass and frame as a seal and a cushion. I really don't like the idea of my glass potentially seated against a metal frame as I bounce down the road. Got that idea from Andy of Inland RV in one of the thousands of threads I've read. I've read so many, a lot of ya'll's (plural possessive redneck term) stories are starting to run together. I can't remember who went where with whom anymore...

And, as Aage pointed out, there are quite a few different types of Vista Views and Stacks. My method only works on the ones with the removable retainer ring. I have no idea when these started, and when they ended, and with the way Airstream would change stuff up mid-stroke, it may not be the same all the way through any given year model... Just thought I'd document where to get the stuff I used, and what size and sequence I used.

-Red
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Very excellent, esp. confirming the thicknesses and supplier for shimmed tape. Thanks, thanks, thanks.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
dexter , Michigan
Red, I agree with all the others, great job on explaining the process. I have ordered the polyship tapes from Allglassparts.com as you suggested and will be rebuilding my vista views as soon as I receive the order. I do want to add a word of caution (although it doesn't mean much if you can't find the materials elsewhere), I ordered three rolls of tape for around 45 bucks and the shipping to Michigan was 30 bucks. I thought that was a bit steep (especially since you don't find out the freight charges until after they ship). If anyone knows of another source for this material, I'd love to hear of it in case I need to order more. They seem to be the only ones who sell single rolls. Thanks again for the great post!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Yeah, sorry for not mentioning it. I just couldn't find anybody else to sell me single rolls. They all wanted to sell me a case. Guess I should have seen who all was interested and gotten a bulk buy together. Good luck with your Vista Views... post up some pics.
-Red
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Panama Red,

I am attempting to get the window out. I've remover two black shim-like objects from the bottom of the glass but I can't seem to figure out how the glass slips out. Did you push yours up and then pry the bottom out or shift it down and pry top out? Or something else? The window does move so it is not stuck, I just can't see how it comes out.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Art, I pushed the bottom towards the frame, and pulled the top into the trailer. The only place it got tight was coming through the plastic frame. I used a little force to push the frame around just a bit. Don't use the window as a pry point, as in shoving a screwdriver in and twisting. It will crack your glass. Post up a picture of your problem if you still can't get it. Make sure it's close enough I can make out the detail...
-Red
Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Red,

Does my rim/slit look like yours?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121003_123416.png
Views:	140
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	169486

Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Looks like it... as long as the two ends aren't welded together, it looks just like mine. Grab one side with needle nose pliers and see if it moves independent of the other side. You ought to be able to pull the ring loose.
-Red
Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Yep they do move independently. So if I'm not doing the inner pane since I broke it out, which type of butyl will I need and where do I put it in this single pane application?

Thanks red!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #28
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I can't help you in a single pane application. I haven't tried it that way because there was no need to. I'd go buy some plexi and replace my inner pane... that's just me. Sorry, but you're on your own for a single pane install. Document it with photo's when you do it, and maybe you can help out others who want to try.
-Red

Tags
sovereign