Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
dexter , Michigan
Red, I agree with all the others, great job on explaining the process. I have ordered the polyship tapes from Allglassparts.com as you suggested and will be rebuilding my vista views as soon as I receive the order. I do want to add a word of caution (although it doesn't mean much if you can't find the materials elsewhere), I ordered three rolls of tape for around 45 bucks and the shipping to Michigan was 30 bucks. I thought that was a bit steep (especially since you don't find out the freight charges until after they ship). If anyone knows of another source for this material, I'd love to hear of it in case I need to order more. They seem to be the only ones who sell single rolls. Thanks again for the great post!
dlarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #22
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Yeah, sorry for not mentioning it. I just couldn't find anybody else to sell me single rolls. They all wanted to sell me a case. Guess I should have seen who all was interested and gotten a bulk buy together. Good luck with your Vista Views... post up some pics.
-Red
Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Panama Red,

I am attempting to get the window out. I've remover two black shim-like objects from the bottom of the glass but I can't seem to figure out how the glass slips out. Did you push yours up and then pry the bottom out or shift it down and pry top out? Or something else? The window does move so it is not stuck, I just can't see how it comes out.
ArtWithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #24
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Art, I pushed the bottom towards the frame, and pulled the top into the trailer. The only place it got tight was coming through the plastic frame. I used a little force to push the frame around just a bit. Don't use the window as a pry point, as in shoving a screwdriver in and twisting. It will crack your glass. Post up a picture of your problem if you still can't get it. Make sure it's close enough I can make out the detail...
-Red
Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Red,

Does my rim/slit look like yours?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121003_123416.png
Views:	200
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	169486

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Looks like it... as long as the two ends aren't welded together, it looks just like mine. Grab one side with needle nose pliers and see if it moves independent of the other side. You ought to be able to pull the ring loose.
-Red
Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Yep they do move independently. So if I'm not doing the inner pane since I broke it out, which type of butyl will I need and where do I put it in this single pane application?

Thanks red!

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #28
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I can't help you in a single pane application. I haven't tried it that way because there was no need to. I'd go buy some plexi and replace my inner pane... that's just me. Sorry, but you're on your own for a single pane install. Document it with photo's when you do it, and maybe you can help out others who want to try.
-Red
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
dexter , Michigan
Red, Got my Polyshim tape in from Canada and decided to start resealing my vistaviews this past weekend. Ran into some problems getting the glass out of the frame. The plexiglass came out a little hard but it was a bit flexible and didn't give too much trouble. The glass, being rigid was real difficult to get out of the frame and over the plastic window shade track/trim. It took alot of coaxing and the whole time I was worrying about breaking the glass. Because it was so difficult to remove from the frame, I am really concerned about getting it back in without messing up the new bed of polyshim. It looks like you did yours without removing the inner skin and sliding window shade track, which is what I was trying to do also. Am I missing some little trick that will make removing and reinstalling the glass easier or did you also have problems getting the glass in and out of the frame due to the tightness of the plastic slide/window trim? Any advice is appreciated. Thank.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #30
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
dlarrow, I had a tight fit with a couple of the windows, and no issue at all with the others. I slid mine back in at an angle, bottom first and set the bottom against the polyshim and very carefully worked the top in past the trim piece, then pressed the whole glass against the polyshim. And yes, I did mess up the polyshim once. If you got two rolls of the 1/16th, you've got plenty to make a mistake or two, and still have some left over. I've done four windows with about 1/3 of a roll left... Hope that helps.
-Red
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
dexter , Michigan
Thanks Red!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
... Hope that helps.
-Red
Greetings Red!

Yes, your synopsis definitely helps - helps loads. So many threads, so many unanswered questions. Your tips fill the gap supremely!

I successfully removed my metal retaining ring, plexi and glass from my 18" and my 40" vista view. But I had a terrible time getting the metal rings out - they kind of hung-up at the center at both the fwd/aft side. And the 40" VV had a split ring (i.e. two halves). The metal rings are even bent a bit, though I believe I can straighten them out. I was thinking that there is NO WAY they'll go back. But what do you think? Was it really hard to coax them back in place?

I saved the two black shims from the smaller window but had to cut the ones in the longer. Did you end up reusing those or did you discard them?

And yup, I have it all pulled apart and the trailer exposed without first ordering the Tremco Polyshim. D'oh.

Thanks again for posting these details!

Oh, and my plastic pans are a mess - broken to bits. So my shades don't slide up/down without a lot of effort. I'm working on a repair and will post that for others (if it works).

Laura - who's marching out to tape up the open windows. Otherwise it will certainly rain... Never knew how much I'd miss the rain since I left FL - but the dryness of NV is making me eager for a thunderstorm. No, I didn't say that out loud.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #33
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Hey funkill!

I don't have any 18" VV's on the Sov. My retaining rings are one piece, and also appear bent on each end. I honestly thought that was from a PO trying to "snug up" a leaky window. I din't straighten them though. Left them the way they were. I used a wooden hammer handle to help the rings back into place. They were a pretty tight fit. I also used a large flat blade screwdriver as a sort of punch to tap with the hammer and help seat the rings all the way back in the ends of the frame. I started on one open end of the ring and worked my way around to the other, seating the ring in place as I went. I discarded the black shims, and hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake... I just couldn't see the real need for them. Again, I wasn't sure they were original. Someone has done a LOT of odd things to this trailer, including incredible amounts of silicone gooped on every seam imaginable.

Good to see somebody else just tear it apart, polyshim be damned! My duct tape window was surprisingly water tight, although rather hard to see through.

Post up picks of your shade fix. I haven't investigated mine yet. There are just too many large things to repair yet.
-Red
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

North Charleston , South Carolina
I think the black shim things are good to rest the window on when you put it back in to help center the window vertically.

I had my stacks/vista views removed, "murdered out" (for you old folks that means blacked out with limousine tint), and new plexiglass. What I was missing was the pre-shimmed butyl tape. The supplier that RedMan gave and the thicknesses to use were the missing pieces to this puzzle. Put them in this past saturday.. Loving it..

Theory on the fore and aft indentations on the vista view frames.. I believe these are there to push the ends of the plexiglass in further against the glass to seat them.. because glass=curved, whereas plexiglass=flat.
HairCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Red, How long would you say it took you to do all of the windows? Just want to be sure I can get it done once I start.
Cheryl
Old 12-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Question; other than embibing one's favorite adult beverages and the pride in having done it, is there any benefit to cleaning and keeping the inside panes vs. just going with those on the outside?

(Hoping to open a can o worms here to get the full effect of both sides, but thinking this is not near the hot topic that trailer hitches is.)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
One reason to have both panes is that the window frames are set for a certain width. The width of the two panes plus the width of the shimmed tape fits the necessary width. With one pane you'll need to find something else to fill in the necessary width.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #38
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
One reason to have both panes is that the window frames are set for a certain width. The width of the two panes plus the width of the shimmed tape fits the necessary width. With one pane you'll need to find something else to fill in the necessary width.
Exactly what he said. Sorry I missed your question, Cheryl, I've been recouping from shoulder surgery (tragic skateboard accident) and didn't catch this until now. I'm not sure how I would shim it without the plexi inner. That's the only reason I put them back in. Would be easier to clean as a single pane. You need a slick surface for the ring to slip back in against also, so you couldn't just use thicker polyshim. Maybe if you routed out the plexi to form a ring shim it would work... All I know is what I've done. The rest is up to ya'll.

As for time, they went faster the more I did. I'm guessing an average of 3 hours each if you take your time and do it right...

Best to you. Post up any tips you find as you do yours...

-Red
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks Red. Hope your shoulder is recovering from the tragic accident. Please don't tell me you were holding onto the door of a car while skateboarding???

I am not opposed to putting the whole thing back together. Just wanted to be sure it was worth my time. I'll put it one the list (3 hours at a time

Funkill I'll be interested in your fix for the shades if you come up with one. The plastic isn't holding up well on mine.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Hmmm.
Saw that the temp reached 45* today, sun's shining, so I thought "what can I order so I can post on that thread about "what did you buy for your Airstream today?" THEN I remembered Red's fix on the vista view windows! So, I found the "allglass" website and bought a couple of 3/16" rolls of polyshim and a roll of 1/16" as well.
I saw from a couple of others that the shipping would be a bear - customs and giving Big Sis her cut - so I had about $45 worth of the polyshim, and found I could get the "Express post" Canada Postal service... $34 and 7-10 days... or I could get "Expedited" service with 3-7 days... for $24 bucks! So, "expedited" it is. I wonder if Canada Post has the same problems as our Postie Boys?
Although I'll not move up the schedule on these - has to be in the 60's at least! Besides, I know that I'll have to get at least a six-pack of Moose Drool or Cold Smoke to get both of my vista's done... that's another of Red's "must haves" prior to beginning this chore! Having the shim before-hand and the brews will pay for themselves in the savings from not having to get duct-tape and plastic to patch the holes while I await the Canada Posties or brown shirts to get the material to me!
Red, I'm hoping this goes as well as it seems it has for you - but even if it doesn't, I want to thank you again for the pic's and the description you've posted above!

Dave
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign