Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Perforated Window Film..Anyone tried it?

I'm thinking of using some Vinyl Perforated Window Film on the outside of our windows to 'hide' the old UV film bits that are floating around inside the dual panes...

This is the kind of film you see on autos and buses that have a 'full rapped' advertizement...the part that covers the windows is perforated so you can see 'out'...etc.

I thought that if one could get some 'silver' colored film, it would also provide some privacy and reflect some of the sun's rays during the day.

Anyone have any info about this type product, or where to order it? Thanks...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I don't have any personal experience or knowledge, but it sounds like it could work. The first place I'd look is a sign shop. You could also look at places that do custom window tinting/sound systems/alarm systems.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
That sounds like a good idea to me. Unfortunately I can't tell you were to find any. In regards to the UVs if the film was applied to the outside it would be more effective. But I am not sure if it would stay at 70 MPH heading into 40 MPH wind? Let us know what you find.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfords View Post
That sounds like a good idea to me. Unfortunately I can't tell you were to find any. In regards to the UVs if the film was applied to the outside it would be more effective. But I am not sure if it would stay at 70 MPH heading into 40 MPH wind? Let us know what you find.
It will not work on wing or wrap windows, since they are compund curves.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
It will not work on wing or wrap windows, since they are compund curves.Andy
sure it will, i have it on MULTI compounded curved panels and it works fine....

IF the film has a graphic in it, the image will be distorted by the techniques used on tricky curves...

and smaller starting pieces (or cuts/darts) are needed for some curves, but it still works.

of course simple flat or simple curves are much easier to apply these vinyl films, so easy that it can be diy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
...Anyone have any info about this type product, or where to order it? Thanks...
our member here 'devoman' does this for a living in florida, he's VERY busy right now so a pm might be missed.

just google 'auto wraps' or 'auto wrapping' or 'car wraps' or 'vinyl film wraps'...

and a boat load of sites, info and resources will appear...

3m and avery-dennison are major players in the film market.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Isn't this the material you are talking about?? Looks like it covers the windows ok here.

Jack
Attached Images

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I also work in the sign business and just checked one of our suppliers. Of the six different perforated vinyls I can get, all are white because they are designed to be printed on. Yes, they will go around compound curves and stay on at highway speeds, of course you have to make sure the windows are clean and it is recommended to cut the vinyl back away from any rubber window seal. Because of the holes it's hard to put on (real flimsy), make sure when you buy it, have the shop apply transfer tape, this will make the vinyl stiffer and once applied you peel the transfer tape back off. If you decide to get something printed on the vinyl when you buy it, it'll come with a U.V. clear laminate, make sure the shop uses optically clear laminate, regular clear laminates distort when looking through them. Silver can not be printed, you'd have to go with a light grey, inkjet printers print with Yellow, Magenta, Cyan and Black inks.

Take care - Derek