Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Emmett , Michigan
Leaky window - '77 Excella

I am in the midst of a total floor replacement, and am trying to isolate leaks to keep problems from re-occurring. I have a major leak on the Street side below the window array. I have removed the interior wall panel and window trim. It appears that the water is coming in through the window. It looks like the water is infiltrating through the glass and draining out the seam in the the aluminum channel at the bottom of the window. I know the window seals are bad because of condensation between panes. Do you think the "break out the inner pane" fix will eliminate this leak? Any other sources I should look for? When I removed the inner skin, every thing above these windows is dry.

Nate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	75434  
nd48463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd48463 View Post
I am in the midst of a total floor replacement, and am trying to isolate leaks to keep problems from re-occurring. I have a major leak on the Street side below the window array. I have removed the interior wall panel and window trim. It appears that the water is coming in through the window. It looks like the water is infiltrating through the glass and draining out the seam in the the aluminum channel at the bottom of the window. I know the window seals are bad because of condensation between panes. Do you think the "break out the inner pane" fix will eliminate this leak? Any other sources I should look for? When I removed the inner skin, every thing above these windows is dry.

Nate
Easy fix.

Clean the gray gasket that holds the glass into the metal sash (frame).

Also clean the glass and metal about a 1/4 inch or so beyond the gasket.

Carefully apply a nice bead of Vulkem sealer to completely cover the gray gasket, and touching the sash and glass.

That will take care of that leak, almost forever.

While you at it, check the seam of the sheetmetal and sash. You might want to clean that up as well and apply Vulkem sealer to the top and ends of the sash.

The only other leak at the windows could be the rivets, and that's doubtful, but since you have the interior metal off, give the back side of the rivets a good coating of Vulkem as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Emmett , Michigan
Vulkem window repair

I would assume that I would be doing this to both the interior and the exterior of the windows. I am contemplating breaking the interior pane because the solar film has extremely degraded and is nothing but yellowish flakes. The bead between the two panes, and the spacers are also all deteriorated and some are free floating between the panes. I will however, take the advice of the vulkem on the rivets on the backside. while the interior is off. Some other leaks I found were at the rear window and the front window. The front window sash was full of standing water from the recent snow melt. The rear, I believe is coming through a poorly sealed frame.

The other leaks I found seem like they are coming from The trim on top of the side blue excella belt line trim. I think if I reseal the trim it will fix most.

Thanks for the help!

nate
nd48463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd48463 View Post
I would assume that I would be doing this to both the interior and the exterior of the windows. I am contemplating breaking the interior pane because the solar film has extremely degraded and is nothing but yellowish flakes. The bead between the two panes, and the spacers are also all deteriorated and some are free floating between the panes. I will however, take the advice of the vulkem on the rivets on the backside. while the interior is off. Some other leaks I found were at the rear window and the front window. The front window sash was full of standing water from the recent snow melt. The rear, I believe is coming through a poorly sealed frame.

The other leaks I found seem like they are coming from The trim on top of the side blue excella belt line trim. I think if I reseal the trim it will fix most.

Thanks for the help!

nate
Unless they have been replaced, all the opening window gaskets are shot.

Other than the windows, take off one of the sewer vent pipe covers, and watch the surprise.

Andy
Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Remove the sewer vent cover and watch the surprise. Assuming this is a joke, I just don't get it. Care to explain, Andy?

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Remove the sewer vent cover and watch the surprise. Assuming this is a joke, I just don't get it. Care to explain, Andy?

Christopher

They are often ignored...but very important to the health of your AS. When you remove the cover...You probaly won't have much of a gasket left. This is an item that should be part of your "Spring Cleaning To Do List". They are supposed to good for several years, but recent history seems to suggest otherwise.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Never heard of this one before. I know we are getting off topic here but having a '79 my "covers" are more like pyramid shaped trim pieces around the vents. Haven't see rain leaking in to indicate a bad gasket.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Christopher
It's not a joke at all, but a serious water leak problem that most owners are not aware of.

Andy
Old 03-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Never heard of this one before. I know we are getting off topic here but having a '79 my "covers" are more like pyramid shaped trim pieces around the vents. Haven't see rain leaking in to indicate a bad gasket.

Christopher
Most owners don't see the water either.

The water goes around the black pipe, into the wall, and then on the floor, where you cannot see it.

Checking that gasket, is a wise PM.

Andy
Old 03-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:

Christopher
If the gasket is more than 5 years old I would be very surprised if it wasn't leaking. FWIW one of the covers on mine had a screw that had not been run all the way in at the factory because they had hit a rib, they just glopped some Vulkem on it and sent it down the road. It contributed to the water damage in the rear of the trailer under the tub.

The gaskets are inexpensive and the process straight forward. Cheap insurance against leaks.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote