Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #1

1970 18' Caravel
Forestville , California
Here we go!

I just purchased a 1970 airstream caravel that's in pretty good shape. I have very little experience with the restoration of anything but I am so excited about this. There are things I can do initially like, purchase propane tanks, replace rock guard, replace the steps and some vents, and the biggie; replace the rear window. I've been staring at that rear window for about a week and I have no idea how to get that thing out without removing rivets! It needs tempered, tinted glass and I have no idea what i'm doing. If I called a moble glass guy, would they be able to do this? Is this something I can do myself? It has been rumored that this is the place for help. Help!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Hi Adrian and welcome to the FORUMS. I am the owner of a 1971 Caravel. The rear glass is replaceable, but not as easy as installing a new pane of glass in a common trailer frame. I am sure someone who has more experience than I will chime in soon and give you the directions.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie View Post
I just purchased a 1970 airstream caravel that's in pretty good shape. I have very little experience with the restoration of anything but I am so excited about this. There are things I can do initially like, purchase propane tanks, replace rock guard, replace the steps and some vents, and the biggie; replace the rear window. I've been staring at that rear window for about a week and I have no idea how to get that thing out without removing rivets! It needs tempered, tinted glass and I have no idea what i'm doing. If I called a moble glass guy, would they be able to do this? Is this something I can do myself? It has been rumored that this is the place for help. Help!!!
Hi Adrian.

There are many parts still available for your Caravel.

Once you know how, replacing the rear window takes all of 10 minutes and can be done by most anyone, including ladies.

First, remove the window lift arms from the side of the window.

Next, from the outside, raise the frame that was around the glass, so that it's almost totally vertical over your head.

At that point, the glass frame (sash) will fall out.

Be careful of the broken glass.

Install the new window in the reverse order of removal.

The hinge is a double "J".

With a large window, you must make sure that the 2 pieces of hinge are engaged properly, and then slowly lower the window.

CAUTION: If the hinges are "not" aligned properly, they will be damaged when lowering the new window.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
From Andy's description you should be able to remove the frame and then take it to a glass shop, Mobil guys most likely will not have or be able to cut the glass on site.

Just make sure you cover the window opening and seal it from rain as water will do real damage real fast to the floor.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:37 AM   #5

1970 18' Caravel
Forestville , California
HowieE,
I'm fortunate that I have a enclosed barn on my property that I have put my Caravel into. I visited Scott Lockwood at Birchwood Beauties today and he gave me alot of stuff to consider. One thing for sure; I'm going to have one hell of a tool box before this is over! But what i found most interesting, was Scott recommended getting a compressor and airplane riviter and shaver. Have to look into it! Than