I just wanted to share a pictorial of the process I used to remove the inner panes of my stack windows. I have a 78 Sovereign
and the inner panes were safety glass. I took a handful of pictures throughout the process, so the pics you see below are of at least two of the windows, that's why the break is in different places, ha.
Here's the before. You can clearly see the failed film in between.
I applied clear packing tape inside over the entire window.
Next I took a flat edge screwdriver and started tapping it in the lower corner trying to break the inner pane. I was hitting it with a rubber mallet and nothing was doing. I had to hit it extremely hard in order for it to finally give way and crack. Your mileage may vary, but I'd start small and then gradually progress into a swing that would leave one heckuva mark if you missed and hit your thumb. Once it was done, I ran outside as fast as I could to ensure I didn't go all the way through and break both panes.
After I wiped my brow in relief, I went back in the trailer and pressed the taped glass inwards towards the outer pane and took the screwdriver and pressed the tip around the edge of the glass trying to break it out.
I was able to put the screwdriver inside the hole and pry back towards me and took a chunk of window out.
After pulling out the major pieces (still taped together) I was left with a lot of shards and pieces all over the place (this is a messy project).
ONce the majority of the free glass was removed from the butyl and floor, I broke out the razor blade scraper and got to work getting rid of that nasty old film.
So, before break
During the break
After a mild cleaning
I'll be replacing the butyl putty that has all the broken glass in it with a new one next week.