Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Working on new/old wing windows

..got ahold of two PPG glass wing windows from a '76, looks like they'll fit...

..first thing I noticed when cleaning up was the still-gummy sealer that is shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Olivier_100316_6029.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	98229

..I'm not getting OEM vibes from this stuff...anybody know if they came from the factory like this?..it just seems too soft and pliable for 40 years old....I sure wasn't at that age...

...oh, and have I told you how awful my existing wings are?

Name:	Olivier_100316_6030.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	98230

...this is why you DON'T want to use plex on your trailer!

...the new wings are not too bad, but I did notice this sketchy-looking corner:

Name:	Olivier_100316_6031.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	98231

..where it looks like someone added a screw ?? weren't these originally welded/brazed together? should I re-weld when assembling?....

..and getting back to that gummy sealer...aren't these correctly installed with Par-bond or Vulkem under the lip? the one good thing about the gummy stuff is it must have made them a lot easier for the seller to remove...I know that once the Vulkem dries it makes for a damn tight grip...unless I hear otherwise thats what I'm going to put them in with...

thanks!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..can anyone tell me the BEST gasket/sealant to use between exterior skin and wing window when installing the whole sash/window in the trailer? (this will be the material that doesn't show, behind the wing window frame and I'm assuming, pushed out somewhat when the rivets go in..)

is it important that the window be (easily) removed in the future? the stuff I have is called "Trem-Pro"....
thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rick, the gummy stuff was from the factory (I call it gumpucky), the best stuff to reseal is Vulkem 116, and that screw was installed by the factory to hold the frame together. It should thread up into a channel in the frame.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question Begging the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
...the owner said he 'thought' the wings were single-pane, but I'll just have to see when I get there......
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
..got ahold of two PPG glass wing windows from a '76, looks like they'll fit...

...the new wings are not too bad, but I did notice this sketchy-looking corner:
..where it looks like someone added a screw ?? weren't these originally welded/brazed together? should I re-weld when assembling?....
So, Rick were they single or double pane?
As for the weld or screw ...I would think that if they had ever been welded you could see remnants of it. If the opposite one is welded (is it?) I would guess it was done later in life. Doesn't the frame need a "relief valve" for glass replacement..? Hence the screw which allows the frame to open a bit..?

If you get the chance, might you post a pic of the whole (uninstalled) windows front & rear straight on shots if possible.
Thanks and good luck with the install. Hope you will do pix of the corner (square to curved) fitting procedures.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
As mentioned above those screws are there to remove that portion of the frame to install the glass. I had to remove that vertical frame in order to replace the glass in mine. I used an aircraft fuel tank sealent on mine so I guess vulcum would be the sealer of choice. be prepared for surprises when you pull the old window out. I had alot of extra holes in my trailer that I had to fill as they fell outside off the window frame. It looks like you have the single pane version. Check out pages 6, 8, and 11 of my thread for my wing window adventures

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
69 windows

All the windows in the 69 models were single pane, and only glass was used, no plastic.

The double panes came into being at a later date.

There would be no point in installing double pane anything, in a 69 model.

Be aware, that the double pane windows had many problems, especially the wing windows.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..thanks, all, good info..

..I think the new ones are single pane, but I'll try and post some detail photos and you can all chime in... remember, they're from a '76..

... they don't have any sign of tint or condensation INSIDE the glass..

..they do have some cheapo tint added by a p.o. (in STRIPs, no less!) that should be pretty easy to remove...my plan is to get some nice beautiful clean clear GLASS wing windows installed, then add one of those cool 'wraparound shades' tinted lexan rockguards....lord, will my neighbors be relieved to not have to look at this street-facing atrocity anymore, especially once I get that mega-roof-dent pushed out from inside...

..I think the Trem-Pro is Vulkem by a newer name...

...and Kip, your GT is so dang clean, I love it...gives me a long-term goal to shoot for..
Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I just wish I could stay home long enough to finish the interior. Leaving again next week for a week, and as it now looks, I'll be gone all summer again.

Kip
Old 03-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..got both windows cleaned up today...Goof-Off, MEK, a very capable Hyde paint scraper, and some fine steel wool did the trick...razor blades removed the bad o.p. tint-job...

..my next decision is regarding the '76's hinge/trim/lip...below is a picture of the shiny '76 frame on the right (I'm just holding it there for the picture), the riveted '69 frame in the center (check out the pop rivets at the bottom... (not) awesome)...and the rectangular center/main window frame to the left:

Name:	sash_compare_6032.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	98292

...the issue is with the '69 rivets being shot right along the left edge of the frame..I have no way of knowing how much body/skin is under there till I pull it out...

...if its only a narrow band (or surprise! none! ;-) I guess I'll have to cut off the 76's lip and sand it down... the 76'ers OEM have a sliding lipped trim piece that mounts to that lip on the window frame...

..but, hey, for all I know the wing windows might be riveted to the center window frame (doubt it, tho..)...you never want for surprises with an Airstream...
Old 03-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
silicone glazing? maybe its a mid-70's thing...

..something about these 76 wings just doesn't look right...then it dawned on me: silicone seal window glazing? wha? OK, maybe that's what they used in 76, but it looks strange not to see a no-longer-available strip of u-gasket poking out between the glass and the sash frame...this shot below is after I scraped the remaining silicone out of the glass/frame junction:

Name:	wing-nogasket-6044.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	98464

..the glass is tempered PPG...definitely a single-pane, not a double...(should I call the History Detectives?...this is not standard '76 fare, from what I've heard)...in this shot below you can see some of the remaining silicone:

Name:	wing-glassprofile-6041.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	98465

..there's not a whole lot of sealer, here's a bit falling out:

Name:	wing-sashchannel-6043.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	98466

...my only concern is that this won't provide much cushion between the glass and frame, but if its OEM standard I'll just put that out of my mind....I'm headed to a glass shop this week and I'll probably bring one of these for their opinion on it...

..your 2c ?..
Old 03-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In know for a fact 75s were double pane 3/16" tempered glass with the legendary U gasket.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I bedded the new glass in my wing with sealant as the new glass was thicker then the original and the gasket was shot anyway. I injected sealant in after the glass was in the frame. No problems, even with many miles down washboard roads.

Kip
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I bedded the new glass in my wing with sealant as the new glass was thicker then the original and the gasket was shot anyway. I injected sealant in after the glass was in the frame. No problems, even with many miles down washboard roads.

Kip
..thanks, Kip, thats the kind of real-world info I was hoping to hear...I was not relishing the thought of getting the glass OUT of the wing frame (it is well-stuck in there) and then trying to add a gasket....glad to hear it stands a decent chance of survival as-is with new sealant around perimeter...
Old 03-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Don`t know if it will help or not ,but there are some 69 windows on ebay,ending tomorrow. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm trying to buy one of those!!!!

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Don`t know if it will help or not ,but there are some 69 windows on ebay,ending tomorrow. Dave
I don't think its a wing
Old 04-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Wow, Thanks for all the great tips. I'm gonna jump into that very job myself in the next couple of days. In my case, I have a two pane window that no longer has the interior pane. The outer glass pane is held in place by a u shaped aluminum frame piece, lots of vulcum and then the frame is pressed against the glass with screws. It's really odd, but it worked well for years I guess.... It's now starting to leak. I'm thinking I'm going to remove the windows and then loosen all the screws, clean all the old caulking off/out, then try and seal the window with butyl tape and vulcum. Then re-install the window with new vulkum between the window and the skin...
Anyone have any thoughts on that? Any tips? I'll try and get a couple picks loaded soon.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Here are the pics of the window. I tried to get a good close pic of the way the glass has been held into the frame. I am asuming that this is not a factory job... I think it is a dual pane that has had the inside pane removed, and then someone tried to reseal it with vulkum and the inner pane's AL frame as a tensioning device, like a clamp....
I was thinking that I would remove all the old vulkum and just re-do the job...

Any advice? Is there a better way? I need to remove the window from the hull as well, because there is a leak from the top of the window. From what I can tell the whole front end of the coach was rebuilt about 9-10 years ago. I'm thinking a PO had pulled into a low overhang.... And the result was getting the front rebuilt. So the rennovator use Acrylic caulking in lots of places, and now those places are leaking Most were easy fixes, but this one is going to require removing the whole window.
So as long as the window is out, it would make rebuilding the whole window a lot easier....

I'd love to hear about anyone else's experience with this.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5231.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	100173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5234.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	100174