Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Cabot , Vermont
Thumbs down '74 Double Paned Glass Trouble

I am restoring a '74 Sovereign and am wonding if the two front wrap around windows can be removed/cleaned and resealed whey they are leaking. These are double paned windows that don't look like they can be separated, at least not as easily as the vista view windows can be, and it's a shame because the original caulking between the panes is a terrible eyesore. Is there any way that I can remove one of the panes to clean and reseal these two windows, or are they fixed only with replacements?

Thanks,
Elliott
elliottkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Wing Windows

Actually it's easier to seperate the wing window frame than others, screws at the top and bottom of the inner frame come loose and there you go. Better to remove the inner glass than to clean them and reinstall, they were never "themopane", rather just double glazed with a bit of dessicant in between, and as you can see it didn't work.

ZoomZoom
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
so you CAN take them apart without shattering the inner glass??? There's been a bit of confusion on this issue, here, with alot of people saying that the only way to fix the problem is to break the glass with a center punch or the like. The idea makes me go

The service manual for my '73 is about as clear as mud about it...seems to describe the process, but they seem to have the inside parts and the outside parts confused, so I've been hesitant to persue it.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Yanits , Texas
Window repair on a 1976 excella

I am currently fixing the windows on this trailer. I have yet to find a good solvent for removing the grey gooey gasket between the two windows. Anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks.
dogrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Windows

Stack, Vista View, and hinged front & side windows are spliced at the top and bottom with a piece of steel bar slipped into a channel in the aluminum frame, drill out the rivets and TRY to pry the sides apart. The problem being whatever type of aluminum/steel alloy has formed in the splice channel (spaceage stuff?) guess just the corrosion of dis-similar metals makes it tough to get them apart. It is do-able though just alot of patience.

ZoomZoom
Old 08-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Cabot , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrotten
I am currently fixing the windows on this trailer. I have yet to find a good solvent for removing the grey gooey gasket between the two windows. Anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks.
I use "GooGone," a common citrus-type solvent, with a flat razor to scrape all that vulkrem goo off. Start out scraping the caulk with a puddy knife or something stiffer than the razor, and then hit it with the solvent and clean up with the razor.

Good luck,
Elliott
Old 08-05-2006, 07:02 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Cabot , Vermont
more questions

Actually it's easier to seperate the wing window frame than others, screws at the top and bottom of the inner frame come loose and there you go. Better to remove the inner glass than to clean them and reinstall, they were never "themopane", rather just double glazed with a bit of dessicant in between, and as you can see it didn't work.

Hi ZoomZoom,
Thanks for the reply. I see which screws you are talking about, however, I'm wondering if there is any way to get the two windows out that flank the center pane ("wing window"? terminology?). Those appear to be riveted in place and there are no screws on the inner frame. Thanks again,
Elliott
Old 08-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Wing windows

You must remove the entire frame from any of the fixed windows to work on them, means replacing the buck rivets with olympics. I see them for sale for a little as $20 per 100 on some web sites.

ZoomZoom
Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom
You must remove the entire frame from any of the fixed windows to work on them, means replacing the buck rivets with olympics. I see them for sale for a little as $20 per 100 on some web sites.

ZoomZoom
So you're saying that you can't remove the inner pane from the wing windows from inside the trailer? the whole unit must come out, inside and out?
Old 08-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Wing Window

Correct, the only way would be to break the inner glass a pull it out piece at a time. Same with the stacks and vista views except they are riveted at the seam while the wings are screwed.

ZoomZoom
Old 08-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom
Correct, the only way would be to break the inner glass a pull it out piece at a time. Same with the stacks and vista views except they are riveted at the seam while the wings are screwed.

ZoomZoom
But if you DO remove the entire wing from the trailer, you CAN get the glass apart without smashing it?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
someone ... anyone ... pics please?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
I fixed the condensation problem on my 74 Tradewind by drilling two 3/16th inch holes under each wing window and then running a piece of brass braising rod ,or a coat hanger,through the hole at an angle so that it comes up between the panes. It took a month but the condensation finally dried out and has not returned.The holes must be drilled below the glass or they will break it. I drilled the holes near the bottom of the window frame,about 3/8th of an inch from the bottom, then with the drill still running angled it up and into the caulking that's between the panes. I would attach a picture but it's dark and the photo wouldn,t help. If anyone needs to see this I'll try and include a pic tomorrow.There is a thread on this . I think it's under condensation problems.Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote